Author Topic: Upholstery  (Read 10648 times)

Offline dave7268

• GTI forum regular
Re: Upholstery
« Reply #20 on: 31 August 2017, 11:34 »
Thanks for all your replies - taking the car to an upholsterer tomorrow to be assessed and get a definitive quote.

I've told me that that once this gets repaired there will be no sliding in and out of the seat if he ever uses the car!  :shocked:

Gotta agree with the comments on the poor quality of the material used. I would expect something like that happening on a much older car, not at just over 3yrs old.

I too hate the material on the door cards - it doesn't wear very well at all and always looks grotty no matter how well you try to clean it.

Will let you know how things get on with the repair, etc.

Cheers   :wink:
7GTI PP DSG - no longer

Offline FunkyMunky

• Not said much yet
« Reply #21 on: 31 August 2017, 16:16 »
I'd also agree with what somebody else said above - the cloth seats, particularly the bolsters and the material on the door cards - is crap IMO. It's the main reason I'd personally spec leather / art velours in the car - the "pleather" you get on the door cards isn't wonderful either but at least it wears very well.

Interesting views - we sold our 70k 3 year old MK7 GTD and genuinely the seats looked as good as new. Even with having a couple of dogs in the car.

When I was looking at R's or GTi's with leather, cars with 20k miles on had seats that looked f**ked! Stretched leather and large indentations.
Pure White MK7 GTI PP DSG, 18" Belvedere alloys, DCC, Tech Pack, Park Assist, Reverse Camera, Keyless Entry, Winter Pack & Climate Windscreen

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 31 August 2017, 16:38 »
I'd also agree with what somebody else said above - the cloth seats, particularly the bolsters and the material on the door cards - is crap IMO. It's the main reason I'd personally spec leather / art velours in the car - the "pleather" you get on the door cards isn't wonderful either but at least it wears very well.

Interesting views - we sold our 70k 3 year old MK7 GTD and genuinely the seats looked as good as new. Even with having a couple of dogs in the car.

When I was looking at R's or GTi's with leather, cars with 20k miles on had seats that looked f**ked! Stretched leather and large indentations.

Interesting, perhaps then it's harder wearing than it looks/feels (which wouldn't be difficult).
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #23 on: 31 August 2017, 16:42 »
I agree, my last GTD had ~70k on it and the seats were far from knackered.

Maybe it depends on how you get in and out of the car... maybe normal people don't squash the bolsters!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 31 August 2017, 17:23 »

In my experience - having had cars with both - the leather / pleather wears and ages far better. For example, on a wet day if the door card got wet when opening window or whatever, I'd notice that the rain would leave visible water marks on the door card / side of seat bolsters. They always seemed to get scruffy looking and hard to keep looking well (and I am extra anal about car cleaning so it wasn't through lack of care).

The pleather wipes clean and with a dab of glipitone leather cleaner, always looks and smells great.

You obviously don't agree. Hey ho.

Having said all that, regardless of upholstery, its mostly down to how well its minded. I've seen cars with only a few K on them with very scruffy interiors, both cloth and leather (dealer demo's and the likes).

« Last Edit: 31 August 2017, 17:34 by JoeGTI »
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 31 August 2017, 20:41 »
I agree, my last GTD had ~70k on it and the seats were far from knackered.

Maybe it depends on how you get in and out of the car... maybe normal people don't squash the bolsters!

I've had the same back problems and method of getting in and out of cars and I've never seen a seat as cr@p as the Golf. How could the seats in the Golf be so different to the CC GT/R line?
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline maxie

• Here all the time
« Reply #26 on: 01 September 2017, 08:37 »
the other half left her window open the once and the rain got in and stained the seat in my mk5, looks horrible still. i'll be getting the seats scotch guarded in the 7.5 if it's possible :)  and with being a wheelchair user it does take longer getting in and out so will be worth it in the  long run. one good thing is that these seats seem to be darker than previous versions...
« Last Edit: 01 September 2017, 08:39 by maxie »

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 19 September 2017, 10:54 »
Any update on this?

Offline Jdm owner

• Not said much yet
« Reply #28 on: 02 October 2017, 18:42 »
I've done this on all my motors with bolsters.

Before getting out retract the seat back to avoid scuffing on getting out.
My Recaro CS were prone to wear on the bolsters and so were my type r seats.
Even told my mates while getting out to lift arse over the bolsters.

As with all these type of seats these all wear quickly. You would think factory would structure these better.
Only other option are capital seat covers bespoke covers to avoid bolster rub.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 02 October 2017, 19:04 »
I've done this on all my motors with bolsters.

Before getting out retract the seat back to avoid scuffing on getting out.
My Recaro CS were prone to wear on the bolsters and so were my type r seats.
Even told my mates while getting out to lift arse over the bolsters.

As with all these type of seats these all wear quickly. You would think factory would structure these better.
Only other option are capital seat covers bespoke covers to avoid bolster rub.

Problem I have is that I have a bad back. I had mine done at the dealers and the foam padding is just about gone through again after a few thousand miles. The fabric still looks new.

Never had this problem before and covered over a 100k in my CC and the seats looked like new when trading in.