Author Topic: Anyone Ordered The New 2017 Golf GTI or R?  (Read 17452 times)

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
Re: Anyone Ordered The New 2017 Golf GTI or R?
« Reply #30 on: 13 February 2017, 09:34 »
DCC does work on rubbish road surfaces and is better than just having hard or soft suspension

Your "comfort", "normal" or "sport" settings are just initial damping. On comfort it will ride like a big car over bumps, potholes and speedhumps, but chuck it into a bend and the sensors will detect the loading and stiffen it so you don't get body roll like a 2CV.

Its called Dynamic Chassis Control for good reason - its not the older electronic suspension setting selector.

Its very clever, its very good.

Like much modern tech, some people don't trust the witchcraft, others accept it as a miracle.

It has never been really understood that the DCC evolved into something very good and most who criticise it do so from having the previous versions or from never experiencing it at all.

The DCC is functioning at all times and in all modes and the difference is noticeable between each one.

Have done a lot of miles in colleagues vanilla GTI over last 2 years and when he was in my GTD and now my R he in reverse openly admits the ride is great.

The standard ride on the MK 7 are decent so not going to contest its a must have as ride would be atrocious otherwise but on some of the poor winter roads you find the DCC takes all the pain out of them.

Now I am not sure the tech has advanced more, imagine it has, but had 18" on the GTD and now 19" Pretoria on the R and would say the comfort is even softer on the R (maybe due to lighter wheels?) which surprised me as thought with larger wheels and 5 cm drop the ride would have been tad harsher.

When place in race the ride noticeably hardens up with the steering.

Its great tech, gives you the comfortable family run around (regularly have passengers) and the fast sure handling car that lies at its heart with a push of a button.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #31 on: 13 February 2017, 10:23 »
Its great tech, gives you the comfortable family run around (regularly have passengers) and the fast sure handling car that lies at its heart with a push of a button.

Thing is, it's not even that.

It's fast sure handling ALL OF THE TIME.

You just get a smoother ride over bumps while in a straight(ish) line if you want to. Your choice.

This is why I keep saying that the infamous Top Gear Stig comment about the Mk7 having the same lap times no matter what the DCC is set to isn't "and therefore it doesn't do anything" its quite the reverse!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #32 on: 13 February 2017, 10:38 »
This is why I keep saying that the infamous Top Gear Stig comment about the Mk7 having the same lap times no matter what the DCC is set to isn't "and therefore it doesn't do anything" its quite the reverse!
Unfortunately, some people watch that show and believed those idiots! There is a very good reason why it makes no difference on a racetrack.

The car has a sensor to detect lateral movement. IIRC above 0.6G the suspension is automatically stiffened to improve handling.

So trying the system on a racetrack was pointless.

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline vance1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #33 on: 13 February 2017, 19:17 »
Does any suspension geek know if this is the same or similar to Koni's FSD dampers?

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 17 February 2017, 13:28 »
Just seen on the R forum someone post up prices from a website called Nationwide cars. They are quoting a new FL 3dr R at just over £25k  :shocked: :shocked:
« Last Edit: 17 February 2017, 13:37 by CraigW »

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #36 on: 17 February 2017, 14:15 »
Does any suspension geek know if this is the same or similar to Koni's FSD dampers?

DCC on a Golf is actually Monroe CVSAe.

Don't know if that helps you discover your answer...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 17 February 2017, 18:10 »
Just seen on the R forum someone post up prices from a website called Nationwide cars. They are quoting a new FL 3dr R at just over £25k  :shocked: :shocked:

Here's a snippet from a review of nationwide cars:

"Remember that you don't get your Reg Doc for a few months and you will then be shown as a second owner. Or at least that's how it worked 18 months ago."

f**k that!

Offline davyk31

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 18 February 2017, 08:54 »
Wouldn't be hard to check out the point as regards preregistration if ordering.
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Offline rfasixpence

• Just got here
« Reply #39 on: 18 February 2017, 18:58 »
Just ordered the wife a Lapiz blue 7.5 R 5-door manual with DCC, sunroof and keyless, from DTD at a price that no dealer could come anywhere near.