Author Topic: New car wrapping  (Read 2346 times)

Offline MkVIIGTD

• Not said much yet
New car wrapping
« on: 18 August 2016, 09:43 »
Hi there,
I know this isn't a Golf topic but hey I drive a MkVII GTD. We have just taken delivery last Friday of a new VW CC Black Edition in Pure White for my wife.
Does anyone have any experience of clear protective wrapping for front end of new vehicles?
Thanks in advance  :smiley:

Golf MkVII GTD Tornado Red, DSG, Leather, Rear Camera, Keyless

Offline kelvyn29

• Not said much yet
Re: New car wrapping
« Reply #1 on: 18 August 2016, 11:05 »
When I had my S1 Elise re-painted I had the protection film to the front deck & lower cill, can hardly see its there.

I believe the company who painted my car used Venture shield by 3M

http://www.3mventureshield.co.uk/paint-protection-film/

There is others just having a quick google....

http://chipguard.co.uk/volkswagen-passat-cc-model-2008-present.html

http://www.paintshield.co.uk/

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 18 August 2016, 11:06 »
We had it done to the wife's scirocco prior to a 600+ journey was great at first we did the holiday run but after a few weeks it started to lift in places more where the curves are and on a scirocco there's quite a few.
That bein said it went back n eventually taken off and full refund 500 quid so all happy as it did what we wanted before coming off... :whistle:
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 18 August 2016, 13:23 »
I seem to remember volkswizard having clear wrap put on his R but that was quite a while ago. Drop him a message if he doesn't spot this thread.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline MkVIIGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 18 August 2016, 13:55 »
I seem to remember volkswizard having clear wrap put on his R but that was quite a while ago. Drop him a message if he doesn't spot this thread.
Thanks  :smiley:

Golf MkVII GTD Tornado Red, DSG, Leather, Rear Camera, Keyless

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 18 September 2016, 17:20 »
There is serious business opportunity here.

Years ago after I took delivery of my forth new Cooper I had it hard lacquered by a custom car company, not for the 'glam' but to stop stone chips and dirt marks.
A couple of weeks later it was written off by a drunk jumping a red light  :angry:
Never had the replacement laquered or any others since.

But...

These days we have a new product - UV cured epoxy, the same material that is used to cover fishing rods, its total non-chip, flexible, can be fused into a new coat if repairs are required and once applied will last for tens of years.
Now that WOULD provide the ultimate non-chip surface coating.

Anyone interested in a new business??

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 18 September 2016, 20:22 »
That would probably have an amazing shine too.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 18 September 2016, 22:03 »
Harder than water based paints? Certainly, but chip proof? Might find if it really is that resistant to a small sharp stone effectively hitting you at over 100mph (the combination of you heading towards the stone at 70mph while it is pinged towards you at 30+mph)? If so, that kinetic energy has to go somewhere, maybe more likely to get stone dents rather than stone chips (the Wife's A1 has one on the leading edge of the bonnet). A clear film will absorb some of the impact as it deforms a little on impact. No getting away from chips and dents, what with ever thinner body panels and ever softer paint.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 26 September 2016, 17:52 »
Actually is nigh on chip proof.
Also flexible and heat resistant.
Seems the upmarket girlies are now having it on their finger nails.

I once painted it on a completely submersible electic hydraulic lift pump on an outboard motor and it never corroded or failed in over ten years.

As with all epoxies its a two part mix with a working life of 20mins or so, if its sprayable Ive never heard of it.

Needs more research me thinks.

Offline AndyG

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 26 September 2016, 19:11 »
I wonder though how you would go on if you had a minor prang on a wing that required spraying.If there is a layer of this on that you cannot remove surely spraying the wing would be compromised.
It sounds great for minor chips but more severe damage,might cause more problems than it solves.
At least with the wrap protection you can peel it off.
Golf 7R,DSG,5 door White,leather,rear camera.