Author Topic: Plymouth what's it like?  (Read 2434 times)

Offline clancy

• I live here
Re: Plymouth what's it like?
« Reply #10 on: 05 July 2014, 19:28 »
Have a look at plymstock,  far enough out of the centre it's nice a quiet, plenty of nice parts and easy bus routes to the city centre.  Only about 10 mins on the bus
MK3 GTI 16v

Offline Bandit127

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 05 July 2014, 19:31 »
Best thing to do (if you get the job) is to rent a flat for 6 months. Use that time to get the lay of the land.

Mine was in Durnford Street in Stonehouse. An area that has a bit of a reputation, but it was fine for me. It had a village community and 4 pubs. The view out of the living room window, over the River Tamar was magnificent, especially with the morning coffee.

I ended up in the Millfields, which is a walled estate that was a naval hospital. Very quiet and a short walk away from town and the local pubs (by then) in Stonehouse.

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 05 July 2014, 20:57 »
Right, I know from experience what its like moving to Plymouth from a bigger City. Ok not London, but Bristol.  If your an outdoor type, its fine.  Some nice beaches and scenery surrounding it. Unfortunately, there is very little to do in Plymouth itself.  Its a typical small city, and the centre is full of local independent stores, then a single shopping mall which is pretty poor tbh. On the plus side, its a safe place to live. Apart from petty crime and a HUGE amount of chavs, theres never really much trouble.  I still own a house that I rent out in Derriford, and the wife is from there so go down quite often often to visit her family.  As mentioned, Plymstock or Plympton are nice places to live. Close by and quick and easy bus routes to the City Centre, but tbh no matter where you live, you'll never be more than 30 minutes away even in rush hour.  Exeter is only about 45 minutes away which has better shopping if thats what you're after anyway. Getting out of Plymouth is easy via the A38 provided there hasn't been a major accident anyway.
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

VW BUSH

« Reply #13 on: 05 July 2014, 22:13 »
As said got to get the job first, and take the misses down for a looksy.
I have family in Torrington / Royston Vasey and spent a lot of time Cornwall as a kid, it is damn quiet compared to say Brixton or Croydon :grin:
She does like the coast and being by the sea appeals to us both, also I can put down a decent deposit on a house if I sell my flat.
It is a big move especially with the big 40 rapidly approaching, but no matter how much I earn in London I cant get a house for under 300k and it would be a tiny house at that.
Job would be awesome, I also have one lined up in Swindon and one in Kings lynn if this goes wrong.
Saying that my skill set is in demand and work in London is drying up so a move out is going to happen sooner or later.
Any more advice appreciated, will update on how the interview goes Friday night........

Will be taking the Aldi for the its first spin to the interview :cool:

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 05 July 2014, 22:50 »
I'd jump at the Swindon Job if it was me. Plymouth is no different in size, and there are far more things/places to go in the surrounding areas of Swindon. The only thing Plymouth has over it, is close proximity to the Sea.
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

VW BUSH

« Reply #15 on: 05 July 2014, 23:06 »
Swindon job would be preferred but its not quite as clear cut, more back door and no definite time line....
I am the kind of person that goes for opportunities as they present themselves, if they offer me the job its in with both feet.....

For me they are both out in banjo country being born in Lambeth and dragged up by the River :grin:

VW BUSH

« Reply #16 on: 12 July 2014, 12:52 »
Had the interview, Plymouth looks all right.....
Job looks easy, too easy, let's see how second interview goes but would hate to be bored at work. .....

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #17 on: 12 July 2014, 18:01 »
Saltash is OK. Torpoint nice
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

VW BUSH

« Reply #18 on: 08 August 2014, 15:58 »
sh!t, got the job...........
Waiting for the offer to come through with salary and relocation details.
Spent some time down there last week and tbh I though the town was really nice, Friendly even.
Looking at property in Eggbuckland, Roborough, Beliver, basically north of the town heading to Tavisitock.
What you can get for £150 is amazing :shocked:

Still not made my mind up though reckon I'm still 50/50, worst thing is my misses is leaving it all down to me as she does not really care we live so long as we move away from south london :undecided:
Big Company, shares, pay rise, relocation, car, health care, should really be biting there arm off....
what to do next?????

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 16 August 2014, 22:46 »
Congrats!  Yep, the places you've mentioned are all pretty decent, just past where my house is toward the north of the City.  That's the only reason I'd go back now though, the house prices are incredibly low compared to most other parts of the country.  Straight down Tavistock/Crownhill Rd and into town which will take you no more than half an 20-25 minutes.