Author Topic: Urgent Advice Please: Golf 2.0 Tdi 2011  (Read 6115 times)

Offline loobs40

• Just got here
Urgent Advice Please: Golf 2.0 Tdi 2011
« on: 02 January 2014, 16:17 »
Driving home on the A1 a week ago, about 80 miles from home, my husband noticed that he had difficulty changing gear.We managed to get home with minimal gear changing, but it was clear something was wrong. We though we had previously noticed an oil leak or similar for the few weeks before (dark stains on the ground where we had parked) but local independent garage checked and said they couldn't find anything.

Bearing in mind, I m not technically minded and have got this info second hand from my husband, after an initial check, independent garage said a seal had failed and there had been a leak between the engine and the clutch box. If we were lucky it might just need a new clutch and mentioned £800. to repair

Today they have inspected further and said as a result of continuing the journey, whatever had leaked into the clutch box had super heated and essentially both the gearbox and clutch are destroyed and we are talking around £4000 to repair.

This is obviously a huge blow to us. The car is only 2.5 years old, and only done 50,000 mostly motorway/dual carriageway miles.

My question to you is do you believe we have any room for negotiation with VW about getting this repair cost reduced ?. (Obviously that will involve going to the VW garage where we bought the car) I don't know if the issue I described about the seal failing is rare for a relatively new Golf, which may give us some leverage. I understand clutches aren't covered under warranty but I'm hoping extenuating circumstances,,,,,

I have previously achieved something similar with Ford Customer Services, when the timing chain broke on a previous car  after 20k miles and caused a lot of damage.  Ford let us off 50% of the cost.

Advice on how to approach VW with this will be much appreciated

Offline GTI7me

• Here all the time
Re: Urgent Advice Please: Golf 2.0 Tdi 2011
« Reply #1 on: 02 January 2014, 16:24 »
The car is under warranty as for 3 years as standard. If it is wear and tear then to cost is most likely down to you.

If there is a failed part then it is down to your local VW dealer to carry out warranty work free of charge.

J

2013 GTI (GONE) - 2014 GTI Performance Pack - Manual, Discover Nav, 5 door, Park Assist

Offline M3 SHAM

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 03 January 2014, 15:20 »
Worst case scenario if VW are not intrested you should still be able to get the job done for under £1000

- Second hand genuine 6 speed gearbox of ebay £400
- 2 piece LUK clutch from ECP £180
- Seals and oils from VW £100 (approx)
- Labour £300 (approx)

Total £980

Offline Mattyj

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 03 January 2014, 20:49 »
I'm sorry but no way do i believe the gearbox is trashed sounds like a crankcase oil seal which leak oil onto the clutch and cause it to slip but super heating and trashing gearbox? Don't believe it

Offline C2K

• Here all the time
  • Northern Monkey
« Reply #4 on: 07 January 2014, 13:22 »
The seal that they refer to is probably the input shaft seal to the gearbox. It's located inside the bellhousing of the gearbox (in the clutch cavity) and when they fail they llow gearbox oil into the bellhousing and very often contaminate the friction material of the clutch (there is usually a gap at the bottom of the bellhousing, this will be wet with oil if that's the case).  it's nothing to do with heating of the oil, it's to do with windage moving the oil around inside the chamber. I can't believe the gearbox is trashed though.

Difficulty changing gear could be the box overheating due to low oil level. Is it ok just after start-up or still poor? If it was me i'd drain the box oil at the drain plug and see how much comes out. If I had more than half a litre, i'd be putting a new clutch on the car and that's that.

I'd argue the toss with the dealer that the seal cannot have failed through normal wear and tear.
5 Door Night Blue GTD
Dynaudio, 19" Santiago Alloys, Adaptive Chassis, Leather Pack, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Bianca White 306 Rallye (Supercharged + Caged) : Melting Silver F54 Mini Clubman Cooper S

Offline loobs40

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2014, 17:49 »
some good news.

After some negotiations  between me and WV, they agreed to inspect the clutch and gearbox (which was in bits on  on the local garage's floor!)  Transported the bits up to the dealership and they agreed to pay for the repair under warranty.

Phew !

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2014, 20:42 »
some good news.

After some negotiations  between me and WV, they agreed to inspect the clutch and gearbox (which was in bits on  on the local garage's floor!)  Transported the bits up to the dealership and they agreed to pay for the repair under warranty.

Phew !

Rightly so, good result  :cool:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline M3 SHAM

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 13 January 2014, 15:13 »
Thats good news  :smiley:

Offline john_cook

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 12 February 2014, 16:36 »
some good news.

Phew !

damn right they should pay for it if the cars under warranty. Gearbox is covered be under warranty.

must have been some total numpty mechanic in the garage who thought otherwise the 1st time :laugh: