Author Topic: GTD/GTI - competition time! Whats your average MPG from start (long term ;) )?  (Read 8200 times)

Offline adekil

• GTI forum regular
I only read briefly some time ago comments in the other 'MPG' forum post (which I can't find now) such as about needing to get to 20K miles on the clock to see the benefits of a GTD but seems to me GTI owners are getting better if not the same from delivery - makes no sense to me.

I'm no expert but in any new/used car, diesel should be better than petrol economically if driving the same style...

I still love this car, but would I have been happier with the GTI
Current(2024): MK8 Golf R, Pure White, RV Camera & 19" Estoril Diamond Cut

Offline Mr Savage

• I live here
I only read briefly some time ago comments in the other 'MPG' forum post (which I can't find now) such as about needing to get to 20K miles on the clock to see the benefits of a GTD but seems to me GTI owners are getting better if not the same from delivery - makes no sense to me.

I'm no expert but in any new/used car, diesel should be better than petrol economically if driving the same style...

I still love this car, but would I have been happier with the GTI

Flinty, of course people can drive whatever car they want but I just don't want people to get this false impression that the average GTI owner is getting 40MPG all the time because this couldn't be further from the truth. On the odd occasion perhaps, driving at a constant speed on the motorway as you say.

I can safely say that driving normally, in the city the average will read somewhere near 30MPG. Any enthusiastic prodding of the throttle will quickly show you below that 30MPG mark, driving like miss daisy will see you just over that mark. I once managed 41 MPG but that was all the way on a motorway and this is where the GTI's economy excels.

Adekil, the grass is always greener on the other side. I can assure you that the GTD will always achieve higher MPG than a GTI if driven the same way. The GTI is a thirsty animal when driven enthusiastically.
Current - MK7 Golf GTI - Tornado Red, 5 Door, DSG, Performance Pack, Dynamic Chasis Control, Panoramic Sunroof, Discover Navigation, Dynaudio.

On Order - MK7 Golf R - Pearlescent Black, 3 Door, DSG, Vienna Leather, Discover Nav Pro, Rear View Camera, High Beam Assist, Keyless Entry, Dynaudio (Tech Pack)

All gone.

Now;

MK7 Golf R - Lapiz Blue, 5 Door, DSG, Carbon Nappa, Discover Nav Pro.

Offline monsta

• I live here
I find motorway not to be that good but A/B roads on a run are better.

Just to clarify, this is the actual long term read out not your best short term.   My best short term is 43 MPG but my long term (from 0 miles) is quite different  :grin:

Offline 2014GTi

• I live here
  • Das Auto
I have a question, does anybodies long-term mpg counter reset every so often? Is there a limit which it reaches and then resets?  :huh:
2014 Volkswagen Golf GTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2011 Volkswagen Polo Bluemotion
2001 SEAT Arosa TDi S
1999 John Cooper Mini Works S
2005 Vauxhall Astra SRI CDTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2002 Audi S3 quattro
1999 Peugeot 206 Grand Tourisme

Offline TwoSheds

• GTI forum regular
I have a question, does anybodies long-term mpg counter reset every so often? Is there a limit which it reaches and then resets?  :huh:

Quote from handbook

'' It resets after a total of individual journeys up to a total of 19 hours and 59 minutes or 99 hours and 59 minutes journey timer or 1,999.9 km or 9,999.9 km distance travelled. If one of these limits is exceeded, the memory is automatically deleted and reset to 0.''

Offline 2014GTi

• I live here
  • Das Auto

Quote from handbook

'' It resets after a total of individual journeys up to a total of 19 hours and 59 minutes or 99 hours and 59 minutes journey timer or 1,999.9 km or 9,999.9 km distance travelled. If one of these limits is exceeded, the memory is automatically deleted and reset to 0.''

Hi,

thank you for the information, just what I was looking for :)
2014 Volkswagen Golf GTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2011 Volkswagen Polo Bluemotion
2001 SEAT Arosa TDi S
1999 John Cooper Mini Works S
2005 Vauxhall Astra SRI CDTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2002 Audi S3 quattro
1999 Peugeot 206 Grand Tourisme

Offline linc-dub

• Here all the time
Long term currently for my GTD at 22,000 miles is 47.6 - not bad as I don't hang around chaps
Picked up 02.09.17 Mk7.5 GTD Isaac Blue, Manual 5 Drs, DCC, Reversing Camera, Keyless, 90% tints, Heated front screen, Mudflaps all round

Sep 2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Carbon Grey, Manual, 5 Drs, DCC, Reversing Camera, Sat Nav, Keyless, Sport & Sound, Mudflaps all round

2013 63 plate Mk7 GTD, Manual, 5 doors, Carbon Grey Metalic, ACC, Reversing Camera, Mudflaps front & rear - Took delivery October 2013

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
51.6mpg Long term (about 1,500 miles).

Offline charv94

• GTI forum regular
36.9 GTI 1800 miles on the clock
Mk7 GTI - CSG - Now Gone

M135i 5dr Auto - Mineral Grey

Offline remlapeel

• I live here
I did 32k in my GTI before switching out. My average was 34mpg long term. My 1100 miles in my R is 28mpg
2015 MK7 Golf R 3 door, DSG, lapiz blue, 19" wheels, winter pack, keyless entry, dynaudio and high beam assist.