Author Topic: Steering wheel vibration at 65 - 70mph  (Read 9346 times)

Offline sam_davies2

• Not said much yet
Steering wheel vibration at 65 - 70mph
« on: 11 December 2013, 09:20 »
I've recently bought a 2011 Golf GTD DSG with 20,000 miles and at motorway speed (65 - 70) am I getting a small amount of feedback through the steering wheel.  I initially thought it was the balancing, however my local tyre dealer has re-balanced the wheels and I've still got the issue.  Please note when I bought the vehicle all 4 wheels were refurbished with the original Bridgestone's left on the rear the new Bridgestone's up front.  The vehicle drives and brakes in a straight line.

I bought the car from a VW dealer who has agreed to inspect the vehicle and help identify the issue, but I wonder if anyone has encountered this before?

Thanks
2011 '61' Golf GTD DSG 5dr in Graphite Blue with leather, heated seats and bluetooth.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: Steering wheel vibration at 65 - 70mph
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2013, 11:10 »
The chances are that the rear tyres have worn on the inside edges in a "saw tooth" pattern. This is caused by misaligned suspension geometry. More often that not, too much rear toe in. When it gets really bad, it will make a droning noise, much like a worn wheel bearing and send vibrations through the whole of the car. As the wheels have been refurbed, the chances are it's had a few too many hard comings together with the kerb which could knock things out of shape

Run your hand over the inside tread of the tyre from front to back and you'll feel if there is irregular wear.

Unfortunately the only cure for this is new tyres and then have the suspension geometry checked and adjusted accordingly. Bridgestone and Dunlop tyres are the worst for suffering this type of wear, so it would be advisable to fit another brand.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline sam_davies2

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2013, 11:44 »
Thanks for the reply.  I will check the rear tyres for that tonight but the front are brand new.

Its only a small vibration and only 1 of the wheels were marked but they did all 4.....when I speak to VW this weekend I'll point out the suspension geometry issue.  Hopefully they'll pick up the cost as I've only had the car two weeks and its hasn't been right since I drove it home. 

When I test drove the car, before the new tyres and wheel refurb was completed this was not an issue.  That why I thought it was balancing....
2011 '61' Golf GTD DSG 5dr in Graphite Blue with leather, heated seats and bluetooth.

Offline sam_davies2

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 12 December 2013, 13:11 »
Checked the rear tyres last night and they seem smooth and even with no raised sections.  Maybe its an alignment issue....over to VW

Offline sam_davies2

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 18 December 2013, 14:36 »
After another wheel balance and 4 wheel alignment, lets hope Cardiff VW have sorted the problem.....all I hope now is that the M4 allows me to hit 65 - 70 on the way home to test it out.

Offline Mattyj

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 28 December 2013, 21:13 »
Hate cardiff vw!

Offline sam_davies2

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 02 January 2014, 08:37 »
Well Cardiff VW didn't fix the problem.  Back to the supplying dealer - Taunton.

They keep saying that the vibration is a characteristic of the sports suspension and the master tech says nothing is wrong with it (and would be happy if it was his car).  I disagree.

Anyone else got or had this issue?

Thanks

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 02 January 2014, 09:39 »
I know you've had the wheels balanced but have you checked all your wheel weights are still in place?  Loss of a weight can cause steering wheel vibration.  Probably not this but worth a quick check.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline sam_davies2

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 02 January 2014, 11:17 »
The car is back with VW who are saying they cannot replicate the fault. 

Taking a day off work tomorrow to travel down to the dealer and demo the issue.  I cannot see how a steering wheel vibration is a characteristic of sports suspension...never had it in any other car with sports suspension I've owned. 

They have another GTD on the forecourt so may drive that and see if I get the same.

Offline charlie

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 02 January 2014, 12:14 »
Poppy cock if sports suspension made the steering wheel vibrate we would all be down at the dealers complaining if you have know joy try changeing the wheels about you might have a buckled alloy
2012 black pearl Golf gti mark 6 5 door leather cruise 510rns bluetooth acc dab sunroof park assist rear camera parking sensors storage pack and the luxury pack :-) sold :/( now aiming a 2013 passat alltrack