Author Topic: Poor Tyre Wear from Bridgestone Tyres  (Read 4603 times)

Offline ab17790

• Not said much yet
Poor Tyre Wear from Bridgestone Tyres
« on: 22 July 2013, 21:42 »
Hi There

Purchased a Golf GTD 3 1/2 Months ago which had new front tyres at the time of purchase.Since then I've done 5k and the front are on 3mm across on both front tyres and the original rears are on 3mm.I think the fronts have worn way too fast but even the rears shouldn't really be on 3mm after 23k should they?

Any Recommendations on Tyres? Looking at vredestein ultrac vorti

Cheers :)
My Car-2016 Golf 1.0 TSI Match Edition BlueMotion 115PS,17inch Singapore Alloys,Tech Pack,Parking Pack,Rear Camera,Heated Steering Wheel,Winter Pack,90% Window Tints,Front & Rear Mud flaps,Headlight and Boot Protector
Dad-Golf MK7.5 R Estate Pearlescent Black,Reversing Camera
Mum- Golf MK7 GTI PP 5 Door-Manual,White,90% Tints,Rear Camera,Front and Rear Mudflapa,19 Inch Santiago Wheels

Audi Technician

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
Re: Poor Tyre Wear from Bridgestone Tyres
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2013, 20:33 »
My original Bridgestones that were fitted on the front did 27K and the back did 43K. The Micheln PS3s start with 7mm of tread instead of 9mm and did 16K on the front. I now have 58K on the clock and the rear Michelns are on about 4-3mm left and the rears 6mm which is 15K so far. I would say 5K you must be driving them pretty hard are they RE050A?
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline ab17790

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 24 July 2013, 20:21 »
Hi
That's interesting,I don't really drive it that fast and it's my partner that's uses it in the week,,I might try Michelins next then and see how I go with them.

Cheers
My Car-2016 Golf 1.0 TSI Match Edition BlueMotion 115PS,17inch Singapore Alloys,Tech Pack,Parking Pack,Rear Camera,Heated Steering Wheel,Winter Pack,90% Window Tints,Front & Rear Mud flaps,Headlight and Boot Protector
Dad-Golf MK7.5 R Estate Pearlescent Black,Reversing Camera
Mum- Golf MK7 GTI PP 5 Door-Manual,White,90% Tints,Rear Camera,Front and Rear Mudflapa,19 Inch Santiago Wheels

Audi Technician

Offline Keithuk

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 29 July 2013, 11:24 »
I had 2 Bridgestone Potenza RE05A fitted at the beginning of the year for the MOT the originals did 20k, there are 5mm on the Bridgestone rears. There is generally 8mm on a new tyre.

I would get a full alignment check done as the Golfs do suffer with different tyre wear as VW tolerances are quite larger.
2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Offline Pinky 1959

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 01 October 2013, 18:31 »
My wife has bridgestones on her golf GTD and its done 16700 miles and still has 4 mm left on fronts and 5 on backs .
She got 28000 miles out of the tyres on the rear of her astra sri and about 22 out of the fronts so they are doing not bad up till now .

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #5 on: 17 November 2013, 20:21 »
Im guessing you all do a lot of motorway or straight road miles as sadly my GTI on bridgestones is doing nowere near these miles and mines only used for commuting  :cry: its on 12k and I think unless I rotate them I will be luckie to see 15k out of the fronts.  :cry: Maybe the RE05 17" are softer than the A version.  :undecided:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 18 November 2013, 19:41 »
My second set of Micheln PS3's on the front are just going to be changed this for month for another pair they are currently at 20K miles and have 2mm. The rears are between 5-6mm. 62.5K by the time they are changed will be 63K.
« Last Edit: 18 November 2013, 19:43 by ajmoir36 »
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.