Author Topic: Smoke from Engine  (Read 2347 times)

Offline Paul123

• Not said much yet
Re: Smoke from Engine
« Reply #10 on: 27 September 2010, 09:13 »
How long was it before the smoke showed? Was the engine up to temp? Had it been running a while before you saw the smoke appear?

Could just be oil that they dribbled around the filling cap burning off.

Well the engine was cold it was first thing in the morning, I had the bonet open and I had just started the engine when I went round to the front thats when I seen the blueish smoke

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #11 on: 27 September 2010, 09:24 »
How long was it before the smoke showed? Was the engine up to temp? Had it been running a while before you saw the smoke appear?

Well the engine was cold it was first thing in the morning, I had the bonet open and I had just started the engine when I went round to the front thats when I seen the blueish smoke

First thing in the morning? Can you guesstimate temperatures outside? I ask, because if it was really cold then oil could begin to burn off a lot quicker than normal.

Have a look around the manifold, and see if there is any oil staining on it. Also check the filling cap area to see if there is any evidence of oil around there.

Offline Paul123

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 27 September 2010, 10:05 »

First thing in the morning? Can you guesstimate temperatures outside? I ask, because if it was really cold then oil could begin to burn off a lot quicker than normal.

Have a look around the manifold, and see if there is any oil staining on it. Also check the filling cap area to see if there is any evidence of oil around there.

No signs of any stains mate, id say temperature was around 9 or 10°C should I be concerned. I'll check again tomorrow morning and see what happens

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #13 on: 27 September 2010, 10:39 »
To me it all seems a little too coincedental that it's been in for a service (including oil change) and has suddenly been burning some oil off.

I would er on the side of, keep a very close eye on it, and your oil levels and just monitor it for the next week or so, if it does it consistently, then I would start looking a little deeper.