Author Topic: Sams Scruffy Mk3!  (Read 99319 times)

Offline rcsammy

• Here all the time
Re: Sams Scruffy Mk3!
« Reply #430 on: 02 December 2013, 21:20 »
Its been a while!  i've been really busy over summer witth work, done a few odd little bits on the golf but its mainly stayed the same

i've been mainly trying to get it a little bit lower and also getting it so it can be driven low without smashing everything to bits

heres how it ended summer '13, had a temporary dark blue bumper on there which i started to quite like the look of... was tempted to get a pov spec black textured one to run

Chassis Notched and engine raised using a hockey puck on each mount, sump sits a good 10-20mm above subframe now

swapped to the winter wheels, ran the teardrops for a bit but they are now sold and i've got myself a set of G60s

also gave it its first clean since edition38 lol

i've got a set of 5 G60s so i decided to start refurbing them one by one, been trying out the sandblaster at work, its small and takes a while but gives a perfect finish, this is bare metal after beingg blasted

had a go with the MIG welder at work too to plate up my spare sump, this is the first time i've used a MIG but its pretty straight forward really!

the sumps probably a bit overkill, its got a 5mm plate over the bottom of it and then another 3mm plate over the bulge where the sump plug sits... i've still got a little more to do on it

Offline rcsammy

• Here all the time
« Reply #431 on: 04 December 2013, 23:24 »
new colour for the G60s, will be a while yet till they are all done... not sure the pictures really show it off fully, its amazing!

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #432 on: 05 December 2013, 06:49 »
Good colour, I was thinking about getting my BBS RX powder coated something similar.

Offline rcsammy

• Here all the time
« Reply #433 on: 05 December 2013, 09:22 »
Yeah I love the colour, I just wanted something fairly oem looking and that would be easy to sell them in if I need the cash

Offline rcsammy

• Here all the time
« Reply #434 on: 15 December 2013, 20:51 »
I've put on a pair of lower ball joint extenders and flipped the tie rods to underneath the hub rather than on top, the tie rods were hitting on the chassis pretty bad, after flipping them i have a good 20mm clearance, the ball joint extenders keep the arms parallel with the track rod to eliminate bump steer and also stop the inner arm hitting on the subframe

i also put on a pair of supersport lowering top mounts, these are supposed to lower it by 20mm but i would say mine has gone even further! i need to raise it up because my tyres are scrubbing like mad with any kind of steering input

but its currently sat with about 10mm clearance to the subframe, splitter has about 5mm clearance and its pretty much tucking 15"s!

but mainly the top mounts allow me to still run low but gain back some of my suspension travel and get some ride quality back!

« Last Edit: 15 December 2013, 20:53 by rcsammy »

Offline rcsammy

• Here all the time
« Reply #435 on: 05 January 2014, 23:44 »
MOT time has come around!

had it in yesterday and it didnt actually do too bad, some tyres, a CV boot and a bit of welding, all of which i knew about

well... all of it other than this hole which has me rather confused, its on the outside edge of the sill rail in the middle of the car, its a bit rusty around the edges but is a pretty clean hole like something has punched right through it

got a whole new driveshaft as euro car parts had a massive sale on this weekend, the old boot was a bit knackered! haha

also eyeing up some new wheels for this season, opinions?

Offline DCmk3

• Here all the time
« Reply #436 on: 06 January 2014, 08:17 »
Perfect fit with those wheels!  :laugh:

2014 Mk7 GTI - Littco L500

Offline rcsammy

• Here all the time
« Reply #437 on: 01 May 2014, 22:24 »
been doing some more welding on the sills, just need to get some white underseal

heres the new wheel colour too! I only have two of them sprayed up atm

its amazing how much paint was on them, this is after being sand blasted

Offline rcsammy

• Here all the time
« Reply #438 on: 29 May 2014, 20:26 »
So last weekend was a busy one, with the help of some good friends we were able to transform the golf in just 3 days!

i'll let the pics do the talking, there is also a timelapse video of the respray and refitting at the end of this post!

rolled it into work, setup a bay and removed the whole front end and bumper to spray that seperatly

keying the paint, removing rust and started setting up the makeshift spray booth

booth done, windows masked, repaired patches primered... its go time!

in the meantime, tyres have been fitted!

done, bump strips going on... ditched those crappy clips for some sikaflex, looks so much better.... yeah i still need to sort that arch, thats a job for another day

being assembled

Ta Da!

and its party trick!

and here is the video

http://youtu.be/PwHD1FXlHoI

it still need a lot of flatting and polishing, the bonnet is all i have done so far

i've made a couple of trick bits for it such as a magnetic front numberplate and 'quick release' front bumper which i can put pics up of if anyone is interested

i just need to sort my front arches/tyres/fitment now as its catching the arches bad, i can hardly steer! but i'll get it sorted as i want to go a touch lower on the front... because i can!

Offline VR6_Wherry

• Forum addict
« Reply #439 on: 02 June 2014, 09:17 »
That looks awesome!! :grin: :cool: