Author Topic: Landrover 90- new engine time!  (Read 18419 times)

Offline DubFan

• I live here
Re: Landrover 90
« Reply #20 on: 02 June 2012, 11:35 »
started some work on the chassis. New rear crossmember ordered, no idea when it'll turn up as no one is planning on doing any work for the next 4 bloody days! (except me! :cry:)

Perfect way to spend the long bank holiday weekend  :grin:

I drove my mates old 110 County once, it was a V8 monster, cool though. It blew the head gasket though which meant it was laid up for a couple of months before it got a replacement engine from a Rangey. Sadly he sold it, but it was a hoot to drive around.

Good luck with the refurb.

Offline shepgti

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 07 June 2012, 22:11 »

Just need to get a new welding mask and it should be on by the weekend!

Offline shepgti

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 07 June 2012, 23:10 »
f**k me that was shot.

Love working on my dads custom 100" defender...

Just recently cleaned, sanded/brushed, rust etche primered, then painted the chassis and axles.

Their are grease nipples on the prop and mmm somewhere else, keep these greased up!
A bit of the linkage is prone to wear, pop the gaitor off under the knobs and have a gander for any wear.
Need to catch that paintwork! going to be using some zinc oxide primer on my dads doors soon to stop them rotting away  :sick:

It's a Land Rover, something will always need doing.

thats a good thing :cool:

weird how the rear of the cahssis was quiet rotten but the front is mint  :laugh:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #23 on: 08 June 2012, 12:24 »
Land Rovers - often used for putting boats in salt water - hence the rotten rear of chassis.

That said my mate, Sean's just spent a couple of weeks replacing the rear section of his K-plate TDI, so it may just be that 'they all do that, sir'.

He had to do the front outriggers as well.  Have you poked about with yours yet?  :grin:

That's the thing about Land Rover's - they're so badly engineered, there's always something f*cked.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline shepgti

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 08 June 2012, 13:40 »
the boats and salt water may be the reason.

the outriggers and mint, not even any surface rust (think it must have been waxoiled for alot of its life)

was watching a landrover workshop dvd earlier and the phrase 'when working on a defender, expect every bolt to break'  :grin:

my main critism of the design is that they are designed for offroading yet everything underneath is a mud/water trap! :laugh:

Offline dazzawest1987

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 08 June 2012, 20:35 »
Most defenders/ land rover's rear cross members do seen to rot. I work at a independant land rover place and have lost count of how many I've seen,  the outriggers are pretty common aswell.

That's exactly why I don't like working on them, everything I go to undo is rusty and corroded.

That said would still love one though.
Putting a 200tdi in it sounds like a plan, the defender boys at work swear by them

Offline shepgti

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 08 June 2012, 21:26 »
Never driven a 200tdi but have heard good things about them plus they can be tuned  :evil:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #27 on: 09 June 2012, 00:23 »
Correction!

Putting a 200tdi in it sounds like a plan, the defender boys at work swear at them

Only because the TD motor that came before it was so gutless and ineffectual.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Gavv8

« Reply #28 on: 09 June 2012, 00:28 »
Worked on quite a few LT77's on rover sd1's, always thought they were fairly decent boxes.

Offline shepgti

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 14 June 2012, 22:44 »
New rear crossmember welded on and red oxided
for the mo

New shiney bits arrived today. Fitted the shocks and doing the exhaust tommorow