Author Topic: A Mate of Mine Needs Help....  (Read 1074 times)

Offline Ben_1uk

• I live here
A Mate of Mine Needs Help....
« on: 16 October 2008, 10:02 »
Hi guys,

I know this is not a VW related question but a mate of mine needs some help.

He bought a Skoda Fabia 1.4 16v about three months ago and is worried that the car is using more oil than it should..? When he bought the car, shortly afterwards there was an oil leak from the sump - nothing major - but it needed fixing. Since then, the car has almost run out of oil completely on one occassion :shocked:

Can anyone offer any help or advice. He has been told that normal oil consumption on a 1.4 petrol engine is around 0.50ltr for every 1000 miles???

My g/f has a 1.3 Kia Rio and I haven't had to top up the oil once since she bought it about 2 years ago (apart from services obviously)!
« Last Edit: 16 October 2008, 10:04 by Ben_1uk »

Powered by the fuel of satan!

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
Re: A Mate of Mine Needs Help....
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2008, 10:04 »
i'll move this to the garage section where it will draw more attention

Offline Ben_1uk

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2008, 17:04 »
i'll move this to the garage section where it will draw more attention

:rolleyes: Obviously!!!

Powered by the fuel of satan!

Offline hobbiniho

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 16 October 2008, 18:37 »
does it smell like it is burning oil, have you made sure that it isnt leaking anywhere else??

sharpie

« Reply #4 on: 16 October 2008, 18:41 »
no oil? don't drive it until fixed. look for leaks, it won't burn 5 litres of oil out in that time.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #5 on: 22 October 2008, 15:22 »
Hi guys,

I know this is not a VW related question but a mate of mine needs some help.

Still part of the "dub family" though.  :wink:  :smiley:

He bought a Skoda Fabia 1.4 16v about three months ago and is worried that the car is using more oil than it should..? When he bought the car, shortly afterwards there was an oil leak from the sump - nothing major - but it needed fixing. Since then, the car has almost run out of oil completely on one occassion :shocked:

When you say "run out" - do you mean completely empty, and required 4 to 5 litres to fill it, or do you actually mean just to the min of the dipstick?

And over how many miles has he covered to reach this "loss" of oil?

Can anyone offer any help or advice. He has been told that normal oil consumption on a 1.4 petrol engine is around 0.50ltr for every 1000 miles???

Nope.  The correct VW specification for oil consumption is up to 1 litre of oil per 1,000 kilometers (roughly 600-and-a-bit miles).  Quite a difference to what he has been told.

My g/f has a 1.3 Kia Rio and I haven't had to top up the oil once since she bought it about 2 years ago (apart from services obviously)!

Eeeek - you really don't want to admit to having anything to do with those!  :sick:  :wink:  :grin:
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo