Author Topic: My Mk2 5dr Sleeper (NEW PICS p30)  (Read 34715 times)

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
Re: My Mk2 5dr Sleeper
« Reply #20 on: 11 October 2010, 12:57 »
i think that is a bad idea!
+1

If you coat anything on it you will loose cooling properties as surface will need maximium contact with cooling air flow!

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #21 on: 11 October 2010, 13:13 »
also would you even see the writing once its fitted?

Offline Peej1981

• I live here
  • Its Whats Under The Hood That Counts........
« Reply #22 on: 11 October 2010, 20:42 »
Ok so i will leave it nice and shiny and good point nobody is really going to see it anyway. I have now ordered all the pipe work just waiting for it to come through and then i have got a busy weekend in front of me.  :smiley: I am sure i will be needing all your advise at some point when i get stuck?

Id Rather Push A VW Then Drive A Ford. 

www.bombercountydubs.co.uk

Offline Peej1981

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 19 October 2010, 16:34 »
Ok so update on my project so far, this is the intercooler fit, i really wanted to go for the sleeper look as i dont want people to realise it has a G60 dropped in it. So it basicaly looks like a Gti 5dr and i really wanted not to have the intercooler on shw and give the game away, so here we go, let me know you people think  :grin:

So as you can see it is mounted nicely behind the grill and get the maximum airflow through it, however i was unable to fit the grill back on with the spots (which as you can see shows the intercooler off), so plan be was to steal my friends single grill and put that on instead, which i wasnt that bothered about as i have been thinking about doing a single grill conversion, so below is a pic of the new grill on.

So all done, no boost leaks and looking good, let me know what you all thinking. :smiley:

Offline jeremybarker

• Here all the time
« Reply #24 on: 19 October 2010, 17:39 »
Top job there sir, well done. If you set out for a sleeper look then it's 100% spot on. Also given me some useful pics as i'm replacing my grile and repainting the slam panel.

I'd love to do a similar thing to my white 5dr but i've decided to save my pennies for a 996 Carrera. Plan is to get the body work on mine sorted so it's nice and clean by the time I look at another toy, maybe then i might think about a VR6 conversion or G60. Out of interest what sort of cost is involved in putting a G60 in?

Making up for lost time

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #25 on: 19 October 2010, 18:01 »
as already said in your other thread... brill work, well done...

Offline cняis

• I live here
  • Know there's something burning over there...
« Reply #26 on: 19 October 2010, 18:57 »
nice one! the only thing that would bug me would be the wonky intercooler, is there any way it can be straightened up?

Also given me some useful pics as i'm replacing my grile and repainting the slam panel

Useful for me too! i have slam panel, bumper, both front cross members (rad support & engine support) etc etc to replace!

did the rad stay supported on its own when you removed the slam panel?

I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline Peej1981

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 19 October 2010, 18:59 »
Top job there sir, well done. If you set out for a sleeper look then it's 100% spot on. Also given me some useful pics as i'm replacing my grile and repainting the slam panel.

I'd love to do a similar thing to my white 5dr but i've decided to save my pennies for a 996 Carrera. Plan is to get the body work on mine sorted so it's nice and clean by the time I look at another toy, maybe then i might think about a VR6 conversion or G60. Out of interest what sort of cost is involved in putting a G60 in?

mmm 996 Carrera, i wish i could eventually afford one of those. I will tell you a little secret, 85% of the engine conversion was already done by the previous owner but for some reason he didnt manage to put the intercooler on it and he said he didnt have time but i am now thinking that he didnt know how to. He told me that he bought a Corrado G60 from Germany for about 1200 and broke the car and used the engine to do the conversion. He basically made his money back through breaking it. The G60 engines from what i can see are selling for a lot of money. He also used the gearbox, hydrolic clutch etc etc from the corrado too. So i really couldnt tell you how much it would cost to convert one you are probably better off asking clipperjay as he has dealt with G60's for a while. However i paid 900 for mine with the engine already in, all it needed was an intercooler fitting and looking at it a little closer it needs a good clean in the engine bay and the wires tidying but this is not a problem for me. I have spent altogether 1200 that includes buying the car, intercooler, hoses, alloy pipe and a uprated exhaust system for it, so i am very happy so far  :grin: All i would say is do it, lets have another white 5dr G60 on here, this is another reason i got it as no one suspects a 5dr gti to have a G60 in it. :smiley:

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
  • I'm kind of a big deal...
« Reply #28 on: 19 October 2010, 19:01 »
I officially like this car  :smiley:

Offline Peej1981

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 19 October 2010, 19:14 »
nice one! the only thing that would bug me would be the wonky intercooler, is there any way it can be straightened up?

Also given me some useful pics as i'm replacing my grile and repainting the slam panel

Useful for me too! i have slam panel, bumper, both front cross members (rad support & engine support) etc etc to replace!

did the rad stay supported on its own when you removed the slam panel?

Yeah i know what you mean by the intercooler being like that but i couldnt get it mount stright as there wasnt enough room between the slam panel and rad as the rad is at an angle too so it is a really tight fit. I am going to remove these again soon as i want to tidy all the wires and clean up behind there so it is all nice and shiny  :grin:. Maybe if i had a smaller rad then i could possibly mount the intercooler strighter but to be fare not many people can see it which is the whole point.

And yes the rad did stay supported on its own as the hoses and the rad mounts at the bottom held it all in nicly and it was easy to work round.