Author Topic: Dizzie - Edition One 20vT  (Read 15499 times)

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
Re: Dizzie - Edition One 20vT
« Reply #20 on: 20 August 2006, 16:28 »
20th August 2006
"Major air assault on the interior and wiring!"

After the daily driver had packed up and had been broken for parts and then the mk3 I was using to get to work being sold it was an all out assault on the edition one to get it completed as soon as possible!

I started off by laying all the cables I wanted under the carpet. As the carpet was now under feet in the unit and getting more dirty everyday it had to be installed this weekend! I ran the 2 sets of cables down the drivers side of the car which were for my Alpine DVD screen. I then ran 4 lengths of 12 gauge speaker cable for the mids in the doors and the tweeters in the dash. Previously I had my crossovers in the dash, but I wanted them to be tidy in the boot this time so 4 lengths were needed. With these all gaffer tapped to the floor it was time to install the middle section of the carpet. this went as smoothly as possible which the carpet fitting perfectly. I kept all the little clips and grommets from other cars so it's all secured down nicely :)

After i'd installed the rear bench and bolted that into the car aswell as replacing the rear 1/4 panel door cards it was time to tackle the front carpet section. As I had so many wires under the carpet now this prooved to be quite a task annoying me for the best part of half an hour where it wouldn't go any further into the car and the fit was terrible. After much pushing and pulling I managed to get it somewhere near. it's still not 100% perfect in the driver's footwell, but I'm putting that down to everything under the carpet. Once it's got a nice mat on top it'll be fine :)

It's hard to take a good picture when it's in the workshop because of the low light levels, but you can see everything just about!

Next I moved onto the dash. Everything was routed as neatly as possible so it should be fairly easy to install the alarm when the time comes.

I installed the main heater vents which feed the dash, but as the dash is now further into the car everything was a lot tighter. I think I need to cut some off and reseal the vents up as I can't fit the middle vents and radio section at the moment. Basically I got it looking half presentable for now. I'll start with the cutting soon!

Someone in the past had made a right pig's ear of repairing the roof seal as JV knows using foam and god know's what else to try and seal it. I used the roof seal from the grey car and replaced it nicely so it should be water tight now. I also sealed both door membranes so no water should be able to get in and wet my carpets now. I haven't tested this yet!

That's it! A productive day's work I feel. I shall be connecting the battery up soon to do a lights check and see what happens there.

I need the downpipe and boost pipes making up aswell as the DTA management loom before I can turn the key! it's getting close now!
« Last Edit: 17 August 2007, 20:42 by Dizzie »
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 09 September 2006, 22:28 »
9th September 2006

Only a little update really. I fitted the mk3 rear calipers only to find I have a f**k load of travel on the handbrake cables meaning I have no handbrake at all. I will have to look into this problem.

I also need a mk3 steering column so I can fit the mk3 clocks. If I can't find one cheap enough i'll remove the dash and secure them ontop of the mk2 column for the time being so I can get it running and MOT'd. AFAIK you don't need a dash for the MOT test :D

Next job is to remove the dash and front carpet section and cheak everything is connected where it's suppose to be. I'll connect up the lights, etc and battery and see what happens.

I also fitted my polished AGU inlet manifold that I collected from e38 last weekend only to find out my injectors no longer fit. I will need blue TT injector seats apparently which should cure this problem.

Not long until I get the loom and downpipe done and she'll be on the road providing nothing else goes wrong!
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 16 September 2006, 18:52 »
16th September 2006

Managed to get a little bit more done on the old golf today which makes a change! This is as she spends most of her days.  :grin:

First of all there was the matter of a split CV boot to address. 5 mins later...

As the front bumper hasn't been bolted onto the car in probably 6 months it was about time I sorted the intercooler out and got that mounted so I could finally bolt on the front bumper! I knew from the blue car that the intercooler never fitted as good as an original G60 one would and some cutting was needed. During the original conversion the lower section of the o/s slam panel had been completely removed to make way for the intercooler... I had a few plans to try and retain this and avoid cutting and making sharp edges!

Firstly I needed to trial fit the intercooler behind the rad and see how much room I had, or didn't have whichever way you want to look at it!

As you can see on the edge it's right up against the slam panel meaning if I left it like that it would more than likely rub during driving making a horrible metal on metal noise! Not good :( Also because it was pushed right up against the slam panel the rad couldn't sit in the little holes on the rad support bar and also couldn't be secured at the top to the slam panel so a rethink was needed. I'd removed the fan and cowling to give me more access. this also ment the rad could easily be installed and removed without knocking the engine and my new inlet manifold!

I marked out where I needed to cut on the lower section of slam panel and removed that small amount with the cutting tool. Refitted the intercooler and volia!  :smug:

With the increased room gained by my cuts it ment the intercooler was further forward and the rad would be mounted in it's original place. Nice and secure :)

On the G60 cars the intercooler is bolted directly to the rad (obviously with nice holes) I wanted to take this approach with mine too. Previously it was secured using crude L shapped brackets which weren't very good at all meaning the intercooler had a fair bit of wiggle in it. I messured where I needed to put the bolts through and made them... All was well. After threading the rad I managed to get some bolts though the cooling fins and avoiding damaging the pipes that carry the air so it was nicely bolted together. Now when my rad is secure like it is the intercooler will be too  :cool:

No modding needed to the chassis leg like we had to when fitting a sprinter intercooler here!

I also installed the speed sensor into the gearbox. You can't really see it, but it's there! The oil breather pipes have now gone. I shall be using 2 of those small green stuff air filters instead. :)

1 last pic of it all bolted back together  :laugh:

« Last Edit: 17 August 2007, 20:43 by Dizzie »
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 10 February 2007, 18:02 »
10th February 2007
"OMG he's done an update!"

Hrmm. almost 5 months since I last updated... (2 fast 2 furious quote) "Do I even want to know where the Edition one is?" :D

She's safe and sound. It's been living outside my house since it left the workshop, but nothing has been done to it since. The brakes and (hydraulic) clutch were completed before I moved it which made light work of getting it off the back of the recovery truck without sailing off down the street in an unstopable manner :D The Steering was connected and ready to rock. I could probably put PAS fluid in the resevoir, but I haven't. The departments that still require attention are: The exhaust, boost pipes, water pipes and engine management. There are still a couple of small things I also need to do to the wiring, but nothing major - I hope!

So the exhaust. I already had the full 2.5" system made up from the other car, but as I'd changed the turbo now the original downpipe was no longer useable. The original k03s setup had the outlet pointing towards the back of the car so the downpipe was simple. Now I'm using the k04 setup the outlet comes off towards the side. Quantum Performance Engineering (Qpeng) make downpipes for easily converting a mk1/2/3/corrado to the 20vT engine, but the price wasn't far off £300 when you added VAT on :(. Last year funds were a bit tight so I couldn't afford to get the downpipe I needed. This week after deciding this car had to be finished I checked again on their website not only to find that you can now order on it, but the price had been reduced to £200+vat which with the postage costs came to a nicer £242. One was promptly ordered up :D

The downpipe comes in 2 peices which makes fitting so much easier. the first section can be attached to the turbo and once the engine is installed the section with the flexi can be connected and cut to fit the existing exhaust.

I haven't got round to fitting the new shiney gifts yet as I'm not lying on the floor outside my house when there is snow all around me! I also found an eBay shop by a company called Pipe Werx which sells shiney intercooler pipes in various bore sizes and in varrying bends making the larger pipe easy to sort out without having to goto an exhaust shop to get built on the car. These pipes don't come with the outlets for the dump valve or boost control valve so I'll have to get those welded on beforehand else I won't be able to drive the car.

I also need a couple of Samco hoses to connect my throttle body to the intercooler and the intercooler to the boost pipe. I've messured the bore on all the parts I need to connect to so out came the Demon Tweeks catalogue to find out which sizes Samco do. All my hoses will be in Black rather than the usual Samco Blue everyone else has :D

The problem I now face is bridging this gap...

Originally I was thinking a 90° 70-63mm reducing elbow off the throttle body into a 90° 63-51mm reducing elbow onto the intercooler, but after looking at the car again this won't work. The 90° bend off the intercooler would point the pipe straight up and miss connecting to the thottle body hose. Hrmm. so I need to think about this one. a 45° hose would be perfect for this connection... but Samco don't make 45° reducing bends!  :angry: I think the way it has to be done is a 63-51mm straight reducer off the intercooler into a small 45° metal bend and then into the 70-63mm 90° reducing elbow onto the throttle body. I'm going to order up those hoses this week coming and see where I stand then. It might require cutting of the hoses to get them closer to the intercooler and pipe, but I'm pretty confident this idea will get the job done.

As for the other side of the intercooler. Another 63-51mm straight reducer will go onto the intercooler and a peice of pipe will then connect that to the pipe which is already connected to the turbo. The only thing I need to work out now is how I'm going to route this pipe and how much of a bend I need in it! I was original thinking of making a new intake pipe from a straight peice of metal which would cut out the sharp and tight bends the original intake pipe makes. This will still be done, but I think I'll be using the original pipe for now until I have a few more pennies to get that done :)

My ECU needs to be posted to Steath Racing so that Vince can upload a base map for my engine onto it and order a wiring loom from DTA for my engine. Once he's modified that loom to accept my plugs I'll be paying for it + a map sensor which will let the ECU know how much boost the engine is recieving.

With all those things attached I think I can fill it up with oil and water and turn the key!
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 15 February 2007, 20:43 »
15th February 2006

Oh. Look what arrived the other day!

Due to the fact I can't run a standard fan anymore because the engine hits the cowling I had to go for a slimline fan. these fans are known throughout motorsport so this was the way to go really. it was a bit pricey, but had to have it to run the car. Also ordered a mounting kit which are like cable ties and go through the rad securing the fan to it. I went for a 9" fan with the plan to add another later down the line when funds allow. due to the 8v wiring it'll turn on the 2nd one if I wire it that way. I may even have a switch in the car to manually turn them on.

Small rubber grommets are fitted too so the rad fins aren't damaged. Once it's all secured to the rad I bolted the intercooler back to it. It's nice that the rad and intercooler can be lifted out as one really easily.

With it all bolted back into the engine bay it looks a bit like this

Next to do is get the downpipe mounted, modify my engine mount on the back and fit the longer driveshaft. with the downpipe on I can install the rest of the exhaust. Hopefully hardcor3 has hoooked me up with some mk3 bits so I can complete the dash and get the clocks mounted. Finish the electrics while I wait for my DTA loom. get that fitted. Got boost pipes to do too and it's not far off running then!

Getting excited now :D
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 23 March 2007, 07:58 »
23rd March 2007

Time for another update I think!

Started off earlier in the week by building up my new boost pipes. My black samco's were finally here! only took a month for those! With the Samcos attacked to the intercooler I could set about making educated guesses where I needed to cut my pipes. I'd also made educated guesses to what angle my pipes needed to be to get from the turbo at the back of the bay to the intercooler which is just in front of the radiator. I had settled on 2 60° bends for this. I found a shop on eBay by a company called Pipewerx. They sell various things for exhausts, etc for you to make up your own pipes. The intercooler pipes they sell are all mandrel bends so don't get thinner in the bend increasing air flow :)

I'd ordered 3 60° bends as I plan to make a free flowing intake pipe later down the line and also if I bugger this up I've got another to use.

First of all it was working out where these pipes were going to run aswell as positioning my intake pipe and air filter around things so it all worked well. I'd looked at a lot of pictures of other people's 20vT conversions in mk2's so going by these pics I settled on the layout you see below. After putting them up as they came I got a fair idea how much I needed to take off in order for the 2 pipes to meet in the middle and get joined.

Several cuts later I was left with this. I used a small offcut of samco just to hold them in place. I need to order up a longer peice so I don't run the risk of blowing the pipes apart the first time I boot it  :evil:

I think that's nice and free flowing. I wanted to avoid reducing the bore of the pipes aswell as keeping it as smooth as possible. I think I've done this as best I could :)

With all the new bits going on under the bonnet it would be rude not to replace the old header tank.  :grin:

1 quick call to VW and this arrived and was promptly fitted.

Next up was to connect the new Qpeng k04 downpipe onto my existing Prospeed built exhaust system taken from my blue mk2. Qpeng give you loads of excess on the downpipe for you to join it so first of all I needed to fit the exhaust and work out where I needed to lop it off. More sawing needed! I hate having the exhaust blowing from the joins so decided to weld this to the system eliminating another join. It was a small enough peice to not hindle future removal. It only needs joining to the downpipe and the backbox now which are all ready to be done once I've got a couple of new clamps. This will happen very soon.

Yes that's a space saver on there! Still waiting for my new Azev wheel and I'd removed the other 3 for a good clean so they look like new just like the actual new one :)

That's the update for now. I moved on to tackle the interior briefly before calling it a night on that. The dash is out now so I'll be working on it tomorrow after work. Took 1 more pic of under the engine though :D Also filled it with oil and turned it over a few times. Turns over really nice and smooth so confident on my rebuild :) Can't wait for the management to arrive now so I can wire that up and turn the key to see what happens!

« Last Edit: 17 August 2007, 20:44 by Dizzie »
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 27 March 2007, 23:23 »
27th March 2007

Only a little pictureless update tonight.

Powered up the car using the booster pack as I haven't mounted the battery yet or got the cables run to link it, but on the whole the electrics test was very good. Had a slight issue with the indicators. they wouldn't work at all and then after a quick look at the daily's fuse box I realised I was missing relay 21. with that installed they worked perfectly.

plugged in the mk3 clocks to be greeted with the temp and fuel gauges swining left and right and the oil light dimmly flashing... hrmm. after some playing around I got them in a stable condition. the oil buzzer is constantly on and the oil light is flashing. I'm putting this down to the engine having no oil in it. the sensors not connected properly and the engine hasn't been properly earthed to the chassis. can't see that being a problem. also the right turning arrow is constantly lit. when I indicate it flashes as it should... need to look into that. but the fuel gauge shot straight to the right as it's been full of fuel for a year now lol.

Got everything else just about working. wipers, lights, horn, heaters blowing. got a few small things to sort out. nothing major and then a really good tidy so everything is nicely routed.

DTA management loom should be arriving this week. might even be able to start her up as the exhaust just needs clamping together. it's fitted now, but not clamped. Boost pipes are together, but not clamped either so it should idle, but won't take boost.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 19 April 2007, 21:50 »
19th April 2007

About time I did another update really!

Since I haven't updated for a while I've lost track of what order this lot happened in lol. I'll try my best to remember.

The DTA loom finally arrived from Stealth. the quality of it is fantastic. everything has a new rubber seal on it. the workmanship is A+. Really pleased with it. Also it came with a shift light which I didn't expect. I'll be mounting a small LED in the rev counter which will do this job. You get a larger 8mm one in the box. The feed for my rev counter is really obvious so shouldn't have much of a problem getting that to work with the mk3 clocks :)

I still has the problem of the mk2 steering column being in the way of my clocks when they're fitted. the only option here was to fit a mk3 steering column which supports from underneath rather than holding from above. As we're breaking a mk3 vr6 at work I got one from there. I also got a couple of other little bits like heater controls, wiring looms so I can get it all working properly. With the column swapped and bolted in it's all back and functional again. I also have height adjustment now  :smug:

The clocks now fit a treat so I'm happy about that. I didn't have to cable tie them to the column for the MOT  :laugh:

So what was next... I laid the DTA loom onto the engine and started plugging things in and routing everything nicely around the engine into the scuttle to where the ECU will live. Unfortunally the loom isn't long enough to go inside the car so I'll put it inside a little water proof box under there. should be ok. When I got to plugging in the throttle body and air sensor I hit a small issue with the loom. When I was ordering it I told Stealth that purely for the map side of things my engine was a BAM 225 lump. My engine was originally a AUQ 180 lump that now has a k04 turbo setup and BAM pistons and forged rods. so it made sense to say it was BAM for the map until I get the final map. anyways. as the BAM engine is a 225 the throttle body is on the right. the AUQ being a 180 has the throttle body on the left... you can guess the rest. the loom wasn't loom enough!

I now had 3 issues that were stressing me out. 1) I had boost pipes that needed outlets welding onto them. 2) the BAM injectors on the AGU manifold weren't going together so wouldnt' work and needed major surgery to get them in there. and 3) my new loom wasn't going to fit without lengthing the wires. I didnt' really want to cut my loom because if there was a problem and it had to go back I'm sure they would tell me where to go seeing that I'd chopped it up!

My problem with the injectors ment the only way to get those in to work was to enlarge the seats. slim up the injectors and modify the fuel rail to lower the injectors into the seats. Hardly ideal.

The Boost pipe wasnt' really hard to fix, but time consuming and I didn't really want to do that part. Anyways. the solution? If I fitted the BAM 225 inlet manifold and boost pipe that comes around the top and down the side I curely all 3 of those problems. So that was it. Hopped on eBay and posted a couple of wanteds around the net and less than a week later and I had said items. Manifold I paid a little more than I would of liked off DUBsport through ebay which came in at £82. the boost pipe was from a local guy for £30.

The downside or sad bit about doing this was the boost pipes I had spent money on and the samco's to join them where now redundant. also the AGU manifold I had bought and then paid to have polished was also redundant  :cry: ohwell. manifold will be for sale and samco's can be reused.

so now the engine looks like this. I'll be ordering up more samco's soon. probably blue this time as I cba to wait another month for black ones  :angry:

I can use the redundant black samco's to build a free flowing intake pipe which will replace the black rubber one. should make it spin up a little better. I'll work on that soon.

I also moved my rad over 1 set of holes which made all my water pipes line up again so they don't need to be modified now. water ways are almost done now :)

Other than little bits and bobs I've done around the car, but other than that I washed her  :cool:

I haven't waxed the car or anything in about 9 months now. I only gave it a quick once over with the wash mit and shampoo. Still got a nice shine to it  :smug:

Next job is to get the little wiring issues done. the DTA wired up to the fuse box. the shift light done. those boost pipes done. mount the battery in the boot and wire that in. fit the other driveshaft after modding the engine mount slightly. seal and clamp down the exhaust.

Almost there!
« Last Edit: 17 August 2007, 20:44 by Dizzie »
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 26 May 2007, 21:41 »
26th May 2007

IT RUNS!

Finally got it to fire up today after a few weekends spent headscratching. Loads of silly little things I had done weren't helping matters either. When I finally got the fuel to the rail for the 2nd time and primed it with all the lines connected it blew the fuel pressure regulator out of the rail lol. always remember to put that little clip in to hold it down!

Still loads to do. the exhaust isn't connected yet so it was very loud when running and I have a water leak on the back of the block. nothing a good day can't fix :D
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 17 August 2007, 20:47 »
17th August 2007

This project is for sale

I don't have the time to finish it and I'd rather have the money to do other things with :)

Selling the 20vt setup here http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=104455

anything else you want PM or or call/text 07816 895164 at sensible hours!

Gareth
Mk4 Golf 150PD