Author Topic: Gernster - mk2 GTI TD  (Read 5852 times)

Offline Gernster

• Not said much yet
Re: Gernster - mk2 GTI TD
« Reply #10 on: 24 August 2008, 17:13 »
Missed a few updates, so here goes (copied from another board):

Bit more this weekend, new tailgate. This is the old one, had some dints/scratches and no black surround:

Old one off:

so thats why my numberplate lights never worked.....

Finished, + wiper lay flat mod. Obligatory german plates now fitted. Next job IF WE EVER GET ANY SODDING WARM WEATHER IN THIS COUNTRY is to respray the back panel and fit new badges. Oh, and Ive found a fuel filler repair panel on ebay, £15, bonus!

Gernster - GTi-TD

Offline Gernster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 24 August 2008, 17:13 »
Not updated for a while and did these jobs a few weeks ago, but heres some pics of the rear panel repaint. Flatted the rust spots off, treated with jenolite, then zinc182 primer before a bit of spray filler & topcoat. Come up ok, colour match is not bad to the rest of the car, but the tailgate was off another white golf and is a bit whiter than the back panel! Didn't get a pic of it all finished yet, but have got new badges on as well now.

Also treated a couple of scabs on the passenger side and fitted by remote central locking with a VW flip key.

Oh and fitted a 16v roof aerial and given it a full service, and a new reversing light switch.

Owt else? oh yeah, aero wipers front & rear.

Gernster - GTi-TD

Offline Gernster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 24 August 2008, 17:14 »
Bit more work this weekend, went over to my mates garage & fitted a CV boot that I noticed had split recently (MOT is 1 month away!), then did some more painting.

Done the osr quarter & bottom of os door. When I took the stickers off a load of paint came off with the osr quarter green stripe, plus I wanted to paint over those primer marks. Took an age to mask up & flat off, but I'm pretty happy with the result (for hand cans) colour match is pretty good and should get a good finish after a bit of wet flatting & buffing.

Next job, that ive been putting off, is the metal work round the fuel filler cap & window on the NSR quarter, oh and the new rear bumper thats I didn't have time to paint...............

Gernster - GTi-TD

Offline Gernster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 30 August 2008, 16:32 »
finished off the paint on the passenger side, so few pics as it stands now:

MOT on Friday, so fingers crossed!

Gernster - GTi-TD