Author Topic: Daz Mk2 16V - My First Dub  (Read 5496 times)

Online jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Daz Mk2 16V - My First Dub
« on: 28 November 2005, 12:57 »
here you go darren...
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Daz...

• I live here
Re: Daz... My '90 Spec Valver
« Reply #1 on: 28 November 2005, 18:30 »
Thank you John...

Well, erm, where to start?! I guess it will be how I came to own my first VW, which if you hadn't already guessed is my Mk2.

Back in August 2003 I was quite happy with my old car, some of you know what it was..the rest of you may or may not find out. However, my gf was having different ideas and wanted me to go look at a Corsa GSi (don't ask), after a week of having that drummed into my ear I said we would go look at it just for the peace. That was quite possibly the best decision I have ever made since I've been driving.

Sat right next the Corsa on the garage forecourt was a totally original Mk2 Golf GTi 16v with 112,000miles on the clock. No prizes for guessing what happened next  :wink: That was on the Sunday, and on the next Saturday I was driving away in the best car I have ever owned  :cool:

I fitted AVO coilovers just 3 weeks after buying the car due to one of the rear shocks deciding enough was enough. Quite glad it did though because all of the top spring cups were nearly rusted through and would have caused me a big headache eventually!
« Last Edit: 18 September 2006, 14:57 by Daz... »
08.03.10 - 3, maybe 4 weeks, and I want my golf back on the road!

Offline Daz...

• I live here
Re: Daz Mk2 16V - My First Dub
« Reply #2 on: 30 December 2005, 09:05 »
I drove the car around just lowered until March 2004. Took it for the MOT and it needed new discs & pads front & rear.

About a week after the MOT I got the Bonrath single headlamp de-badged grille and a Scorpion exhaust system with the Boxer tailpipe..this took some time to decide which design to get but I'm happy with my choice  :smiley:

Various bits and pieces were added like Wolfsburg doorpins & mirror adjusters, a metal golfball gearknob, uprated speakers front & rear (which I will be replacing again when I can be bothered) and I also stuck the sub in out of my old car.

In May 2004 I had some stupid girl in a Mini decided she would try and mod my car for me...by driving into my passenger wing and putting a nice crease in it, and pushing the whole wing in so the tyre kept catching on every speed bump I encountered.. :angry:  The wheel was also scratched and the front bumper knocked off the bracket..
As soon as this happened the girl admitted liability and we swapped insurance details...only for her to phone later and say that it was my fault and she was claiming against me!!! Needless to say I wasn't best pleased but as there was no witnesses it was my word against hers, the whole thing ended up as a 50/50 and I had the choice of either claim on my insurance or try and fix the car myself.

In June I ended up buying 2 wings  (in the correct color) off of so1o on this forum for £25...however, the day before I picked them up from him my gearbox decided to give up all hope and I lost 3rd gear completely. All this just before I was due to drive down to Bournemouth for a bit of a break, ended up going in the gf's Corsa  :huh:

When I got back from Bournemouth the gearbox was rebuilt and the diff bolted rather than riveted for peace of mind..I drove the car about 4 miles and then replaced the dented wing.

July 2004 - Went to my first VW show at Santa Pod - GTI Festival  :cool:
I decided to run the car up the strip for a laugh and my best time was 16.2secs..which I have since found out is what most standard 16v's can do so it must be a good un  :smiley:

Offline Daz...

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 30 December 2005, 09:24 »
Since then I have changed the front headlights for Smoked Crystal ones and the rears for All Red... :cool:

I also got some German Plates from Dubmeister..

Other little mods include lay -
flat rear wiper
carbon fibre BBS wheel centre caps
metal heater controls
snap off steering wheel boss
new Vibe sub and amp
Wolfsburdg Edition rear badge
polished rear strut brace
genuine rear boot side carpets
new gear gaitor with custom red stitching
knackered bolster on drivers seat
polished large bore air intake pipe
Wolfsburg floor mats
Audi VDO Gauges - Oil Pressure & Oil Temperature & Voltage
several services & sets of tyres  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: 30 December 2005, 09:43 by Daz... »

Offline Daz...

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 30 December 2005, 09:38 »
The following bits have not yet been fitted -

VR6 Front callipers and carriers
Braided brake lines
Front Lower strutbrace

EDIT - All now fitted  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 14 September 2006, 08:26 by Daz... »

Offline Daz...

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 13 August 2006, 20:43 »
This is my attempt to go the longest without making any updates on a project thread on here, don't know if it's a winner or not but it's a damn good try  :tongue:

Anyway, my car now has an ABF lump sat under the bonnet which was fully rebuilt before being dropped into place. When I say rebuilt I mean new pistons, re-ground crank etc. not just new rings and bearings. I had this done by a chap who lives local to me and he put a new clutch in whilst the engine was being swapped over.

Whilst the car was off the road having the engine fitted I also had a set of refurbed VR6 callipers fitted up front along with some drilled Zimmerman 280mm discs. On the rear I've got a brand new set of mk2 callipers, I know people will ask why I didn't upgrade to mk3 or mk4 ones but if the old ones lasted 16 years I'm sure these won't be a problem.
Taking the fluid to these new callipers is a set of goodridge braided brake lines.

Some of you already know this but hey, there's still people who don't.

Here's a little pic of how the engine looks now....I know, boring and scruffy but it's mine  :smiley:

« Last Edit: 12 January 2007, 11:52 by Daz... »

Offline Daz...

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 14 September 2006, 08:33 »
I know this bit is in dubrides but I thought I best keep it all in here aswell.

Anyway, due to some unforseen circumstances here's how the car was sat for most of august right up until last week -

You can see in that pic the brakes I mentioned before.

As the car had no wheels on it I bought some of these -

Put them together and what do you get? That's right, my car sat where it should be!!  :grin:

You can't see in these pics but the headlights and rear lights have all been swapped back for the original set. IMO it looks better for it, but I guess it's all down to personal taste.

I will put a pic up of how it looked before after work. I don't have a pic at work  :rolleyes:

Offline Daz...

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 27 November 2006, 12:46 »
Well, as I put in the Dub Rides section I had the engine set up at Stealth last week and was well chuffed with the result.

Here's some very poor quality photos of the printout from the RR session...

This one shows the difference between the two runs in BHP....

This graph shows the torque curve...or wiggle...again, before and after...

Exact results are - 176bhp @ 6582rpm and torque is 141.2lb/ft @ 6186rpm.

The power and torque both tail off just before the redline which makes it easy to know when to change gear  :smiley:

Anyway, enough of that. I've also finally got another interior in the car. Just a set of Grey / Red / Black check 8v interior. Got front and back seats with door cards all in good condition apart from some wear on the drivers seat bolster for £30. I haven't taken any pics of this yet but I'll chuck em on when I do...
« Last Edit: 12 December 2006, 11:08 by Daz... »

Offline Daz...

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2007, 09:29 »
Just a quick update on the car and what's happening or might be happening.....

As some of you know already, I'm currently toying with the idea of selling up for something more sensible (as in cheaper to insure for me and the gf). The idea of that sounded good for all of a week!

Plans are being made that may see a garage come in very useful for storing a certain car for a while until the time comes for a resurrection. I think she deserves it, too much has gone into it already to give up now. Besides, when I finally make a trip to the father land I would only want to do it in my cr@ppy old Goof  :smiley: