Author Topic: Big bumper / arches kits  (Read 10224 times)

VeeDubGTI16v

Re:Big bumper / arches kits
« Reply #20 on: 26 May 2004, 10:56 »
the sumps a bit thin and weak to support it on i think ;)

Veedubgt18v

« Reply #21 on: 26 May 2004, 21:22 »
yeah alright granted but support it some how and sort those f****ing bolts!  :o

Offline JMallows

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 26 May 2004, 22:12 »
I might be being a bit dim, but i cant see what difference it makes??

I've heard conflicting ideas on this one. Are you saying that if i say, drove with no bumper my engine wouldn't be supported? I heard that i have to take the weight off to release the bumpr and fit it again, is it relevant that i didn't have to do this to remove the bumper, and theres no mention in the haynes manual?

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.

Veedubgt18v

« Reply #23 on: 26 May 2004, 22:18 »
it is in the haynes manual! trust me on this you need all four bolts in proper or your engine isnt supported properly, and with time the bolts could fail. i used pattern parts on my last golf and the only way i could make them fit was to first detach the brackets from the bumper assembly then bolt these into the car, i had to hammer a bit flat to do this tho  :o  then by reaching thru the indicator apertures i bolted the bumper back onto the brackets. bit fiddly but it was the only way to get all four bolts in. it doesnt matter about the plastic side clips tho.

if i was you i would go to a scrappy or a vw dealer and get the vag brackets then put them on your pattern bumper

dont do things by half!

Veedubgt18v

« Reply #24 on: 26 May 2004, 22:20 »

Are you saying that if i say, drove with no bumper my engine wouldn't be supported?

that is correct. it would be supported by 2 small bolts that literally hold the crossmember on. the bumper bolts go thru the crossmember into the chassis rail so therefore form the supporting bar for the front of the engine as well as holding the 2 ends of the chassis rails together
« Last Edit: 26 May 2004, 22:21 by Veedubgti8v »

Offline JMallows

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 26 May 2004, 22:25 »
It aint in my manual, but then my manual is pre facelift edition... Do you need to support the engine to get the Bumpers out? Another problem i have now is i cant get my car on the ramps cos its too low!! Bit of a squeeze!

Veedubgt18v

« Reply #26 on: 26 May 2004, 22:38 »
hmmm not sure about that but its definatley in mine i just checked, you should support the engine to get them out it makes it easier and avoids undue strain on the crossmember bolts. try taking the front spoiler off the bottom or just jack it up and use axle stands

Offline JMallows

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 26 May 2004, 22:45 »
Thats what i dont understand, there were no probs in getting the bumper off? Are you sure that the design wasn't changed after the facelift or something?

In your manual, does it say you have to support the engine, or just that the bolts are V important, or what?

Veedubgt18v

« Reply #28 on: 27 May 2004, 07:34 »
i will try scan it in later when i have time prob tonite, no the design wasnt changed only the style of the bumper

Veedubgt18v

« Reply #29 on: 27 May 2004, 20:48 »
the file corrupted when i was transfering it and you cant read all of it but you can read it enough to make it out

the bit you want is under the heading 22 bumper removal and refitting
« Last Edit: 27 May 2004, 20:49 by Veedubgti8v »