Author Topic: The Annual Car Insurance Rip off!  (Read 5788 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: The Annual Car Insurance Rip off!
« Reply #20 on: 11 March 2018, 17:08 »
No it's a good price but it's nearly 40 quid more than last year which is a 20% or so increase. IPT has only gone up by another 2% so where has the extra 18% come from?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 11 March 2018, 18:15 »
No it's a good price but it's nearly 40 quid more than last year which is a 20% or so increase. IPT has only gone up by another 2% so where has the extra 18% come from?

Possible factors contributing to the 18%;
    - more technologically advanced cars costing more to repair; much of the technology (sensors and radars) is expensive to replace and if it’s positioned at the front of the car will be susceptible to damage in a front end impact
    - weaker pound and the impact on car parts (costing more) imported from overseas for vehicle repairs
    - increases in insurer’s own staff and accommodation costs etc. (salary and rent/lease costs)
    - any increases in insurer’s suppliers costs charged by the suppliers to the insurers (cost of courtesy cars, cars being repaired outside insurer’s own repairer network (more expensive than if they’re repaired within their own repairer network)
    - any increase in the number of uninsured drivers on the road? If so, law abiding car owners like you and I who insure their cars will pick up the costs of injuries or damage caused by uninsured drivers through increased premiums
There will no doubt be other factors which, along with the above, will have an impact on an insurer’s bottom line result. Insurers are in business to make money, so if their car insurance portfolios are loss making or not delivering the level of profit they require, then they’ll put their rates up and the likes of you and I will ultimately pay higher premiums. :angry:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

mattwilko92

« Reply #22 on: 18 March 2018, 17:24 »
If a bag of crisps is £1 one week and then £1.50 the next, its gone up 50%.

I know its comparing apples and pears but i think overall your price is one not to be moaned at.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 18 March 2018, 21:42 »
Bit of a difference paying a quid for a bag of crisps which I wouldn't anyway and paying 250 odd quid!
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.