Author Topic: Those rear indicators on the new Golf?  (Read 11134 times)

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
Re: Those rear indicators on the new Golf?
« Reply #20 on: 26 August 2017, 07:16 »
Just be clear, I am talking about pace car setting indicators and not dynamic indicators.  I doubt whether many Police or MOT testers would know the minute detail of indicator law, but I think it was something to do with a section flashing right, then a section flashing left etc..  Any movement, apparently, has to be in the same direction.

I am indeed talking these....

They flash inner to outer and only one side flashes on the car when indicating. If anything they stand out more than the dynamic ones so people know at a glance where you are going. The dynamic ones are not on as much as half the time the light bar is filling up. I noticed that with my Dynablink mirror repeaters.

https://youtu.be/FE_rpdbfG7E
They look terrible  :sick:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Arnold_Lane

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 26 August 2017, 08:32 »
how they flash is irrelevant if they aren't E marked, as the coding to the car could be changed to make them flash however the manufacturer or third party wants.  Secondary to that it may fail an Mot on the number of flashes per second, but I don't know.  Basically if it isn't E marked, it isn't technically legal for U.K. Road use.

Aren't they enabled through a wiring harness connector using the original lamps? If so, the indicators will be E marked as they are original.
SOLD - 67 Golf GTi PP, 5dr, DSG in Issac Blue with rear camera, keyless entry, Dynaudio, Brescia alloys & DCC.

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 26 August 2017, 08:51 »
how they flash is irrelevant if they aren't E marked, as the coding to the car could be changed to make them flash however the manufacturer or third party wants.  Secondary to that it may fail an Mot on the number of flashes per second, but I don't know.  Basically if it isn't E marked, it isn't technically legal for U.K. Road use.

Aren't they enabled through a wiring harness connector using the original lamps? If so, the indicators will be E marked as they are original.

The pace indicators, as per the video, are standard UK back lights that are coded via VCDS or OBD11.  The semi dynamic indicators are again standard UK back lights with a small loom inserted - not sure that has to be E marked?  For full dynamic back lights the 7.5 back lights have to be retrofitted and these possibly require coding and maybe an additional audi module - please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm interested in doing this?

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 26 August 2017, 08:54 »

They can flash by law "constantly at the rate of not less than 60 nor more than 120 flashes per minute", so a pretty wide margin to adjustment. The Golf for example flashes much slower than the BMW indicators. They however should indeed have an "approval mark" on them to be legal in the UK.