Author Topic: Golf R chrome mirror caps on GTI  (Read 10748 times)

Offline d1time

• Just got here
  • Understated
Golf R chrome mirror caps on GTI
« on: 04 August 2017, 17:48 »
Hi all,

I have always liked the chrome mirrors on Audi S cars, so when I bought my GTI I was interested to see if this could be done. Having seen chrome mirrors on the Golf R, I knew it could look good but was slightly concerned that it may stick out as the car doesn't have any other chrome accents like the R does.

I contacted my main dealer to get a quote for the OEM Golf R mirror caps. I was quoted £173 supply and fit (£137 supply only). I looked online and found the same part at:

www.vwmotorparts.com

for £120. Free delivery was very fast (2 days).

The part itself is ABS plastic but the paint gives it a metallic look (matt aluminium colour). I fit the mirror caps myself (without removing the mirror glass) using the following tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvuVEuUclwI.

It took around 10-15 minutes but was very straight forward.

I have included several photos below of the part itself and before / after photos. Apologies for the quantity but I couldn't find many photos before deciding to purchase so hopefully it will help someone in the future..!   

« Last Edit: 05 August 2017, 23:55 by d1time »
MK7 GTI PP DSG in Carbon Grey, 19" Santiagos, DCC, Pro Nav, Keyless Go, Dynaudio, Park assist, Reverse Camera

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Golf R chrome mirror caps on GTI
« Reply #1 on: 04 August 2017, 18:06 »
Interesting.
It actually looks quite good and works well with that colour of car.

Most R owners hate the brushed metal effect mirror caps and a lot either wrap them or swap them out for black or carbon.
I'm always surprised there hasn't been a bit of a swap shop for mirror caps set up on a forum!

The brushed metal caps are very colour dependant on what they work with best. They look their worst on a red or Limestone car IMO but can look quite good on darker metallic cars or white.

Good effort on a ) doing the mod and b ) providing a good write up with decent photos.  :cool:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 04 August 2017, 19:08 »
I've always thought those were the worst thing about the R....the very expensive optional carbon ones are much nicer... Or just wrap the ones you have.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #3 on: 04 August 2017, 19:10 »
Interesting.
It actually looks quite good and works well with that colour of car.
My thoughts exactly

Most R owners hate the brushed metal effect mirror caps and a lot either wrap them or swap them out for black or carbon.
I'm always surprised there hasn't been a bit of a swap shop for mirror caps set up on a forum!

The brushed metal caps are very colour dependant on what they work with best. They look their worst on a red or Limestone car IMO but can look quite good on darker metallic cars or white.

Good effort on a ) doing the mod and b ) providing a good write up with decent photos.  :cool:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Mick.r

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 04 August 2017, 19:17 »
Looks good to me. Top job fella!

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 04 August 2017, 19:18 »
It was one feature I wasn't keen on when ordering the R so went for gloss black which I think looks much nicer

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 04 August 2017, 19:38 »
The black mirror caps look perfect on the FL R, with the absence of the brushed metal trim on the lower front bumper the extra gloss black adds to the car's appearance. Again, this can be colour sensitive.
The one thing I will say is that whenever I clipped the garage door frame in my R (very tight fit, 1.5cm either side) the brushed metal caps didn't mark unlike painted ones.  :lipsrsealed: :rolleyes:

Time to update the sig pic Craig
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 04 August 2017, 19:48 »
The black mirror caps look perfect on the FL R, with the absence of the brushed metal trim on the lower front bumper the extra gloss black adds to the car's appearance. Again, this can be colour sensitive.
The one thing I will say is that whenever I clipped the garage door frame in my R (very tight fit, 1.5cm either side) the brushed metal caps didn't mark unlike painted ones.  :lipsrsealed: :rolleyes:

Time to update the sig pic Craig

Yeah I can't remember how I did the sig pic  :grin: :grin:. Will look into changing 👍

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 04 August 2017, 19:54 »
Mirrors, what mirror covers? I'm can't see anything other than the most non labour intensive lawn I have ever seen.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 04 August 2017, 21:41 »
d1time, I think the chrome mirror caps look good on your Carbon Grey GTI.

I bought my Motorsport alloys for my Polo GTI from VWMotorparts. I found their customer service was excellent; they responded to my e-mail queries by return and wheels were delivered two days after I placed the order. 

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl