Author Topic: The cycling thread  (Read 30612 times)

Offline charlie

• I live here
Re: The cycling thread
« Reply #40 on: 19 February 2015, 09:26 »
Making sure you increase your distances each month will become addictive.

Or your times  :wink:

I know that one. I was out yesterday and realised after 37KM that I stood a change of beating my fastest 40KM, so I pushed much harder than someone my age really should and beat it...by 2 seconds.
quality dubber I'm in between using my mountain bike outside and road bike on the turbo inside so I'm just trying to get my mileage up if my broken down body will start to let me  :grin:
2012 black pearl Golf gti mark 6 5 door leather cruise 510rns bluetooth acc dab sunroof park assist rear camera parking sensors storage pack and the luxury pack :-) sold :/( now aiming a 2013 passat alltrack

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #41 on: 26 February 2015, 16:26 »
I've been into my favorite shop and ordered this today.

I'll pick it up next week when I can make time to have a fitting.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #42 on: 26 February 2015, 16:59 »
^^

Very nice  :cool:  Hope your not going to keep that in your garage  :grin:  Our best road bike still live indoors  :whistle:

What's the weight?
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #43 on: 26 February 2015, 17:11 »
I don't know what the weight is. It will be interesting to put it on the scales. Picking it up, it feels much lighter than my alloy Giant.

I won't be allowed to keep it in the house, so I'm going to make room for it in my office.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #44 on: 26 February 2015, 17:26 »
I don't know what the weight is. It will be interesting to put it on the scales. Picking it up, it feels much lighter than my alloy Giant.

I won't be allowed to keep it in the house, so I'm going to make room for it in my office.

It has to pass the one finger test.  If you can lift it with one finger from the top tube, then it's light enough   :wink:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline charlie

• I live here
« Reply #45 on: 27 February 2015, 09:57 »
I've been into my favorite shop and ordered this today.

I'll pick it up next week when I can make time to have a fitting.
Me likey lots  :laugh:
2012 black pearl Golf gti mark 6 5 door leather cruise 510rns bluetooth acc dab sunroof park assist rear camera parking sensors storage pack and the luxury pack :-) sold :/( now aiming a 2013 passat alltrack

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #46 on: 05 March 2015, 13:34 »
I picked up my new bike this morning  :smiley: Hopefully I'm going to make a couple of hours to give it a proper test tomorrow...and Saturday...and Sunday. The demo I rode was a 54cm (mine is a 58cm) Even tho' it was a bit on the small side, it felt good, so being on a bike that's the right size should be even better.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #47 on: 05 March 2015, 14:26 »
I picked up my new bike this morning  :smiley: Hopefully I'm going to make a couple of hours to give it a proper test tomorrow...and Saturday...and Sunday. The demo I rode was a 54cm (mine is a 58cm) Even tho' it was a bit on the small side, it felt good, so being on a bike that's the right size should be even better.

Exciting, hope you like it and as you had it all measured properly it should be the right fit.  Though it's interesting how trends change with bike fitment.  Years ago the trend was for slightly bigger frames and very short seat posts, now it's more towards smaller frames with a lot of seat post exposed.

Let us know how it rides  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 05 March 2015, 14:29 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #48 on: 05 March 2015, 17:10 »
My height comes from having long legs, so if I'm on a larger frame, the standover height is fine and the seat post doesn't have to be that far out, but I struggle reaching the hoods. Fit a shorter stem to bring the bars closer but the steering gets too twitchy.

I've got a lot of seat post out on the new bike and it looks even more due to the sloping top tube and relatively short seat tube.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #49 on: 05 March 2015, 23:26 »
My height comes from having long legs, so if I'm on a larger frame, the standover height is fine and the seat post doesn't have to be that far out, but I struggle reaching the hoods. Fit a shorter stem to bring the bars closer but the steering gets too twitchy.

I've got a lot of seat post out on the new bike and it looks even more due to the sloping top tube and relatively short seat tube.

Seat tubes tend to be very short on modern road bikes.  Aesthetically I prefer more seat post showing but as you say it's the reach and fit that counts.  And that's before you get started on saddle adjustments  :laugh:

I like the sloping top tube.  Mine (our) bike has a relatively straight top tube by comparison, lovely stiff frame though, and lightweight - see pic.  Still like to know the weight of yours, think you should hop on the scales with it.

« Last Edit: 05 March 2015, 23:30 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual