Author Topic: Was Forum whoring on ED38 Whats Happening?  (Read 2470 times)

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
Was Forum whoring on ED38 Whats Happening?
« on: 07 November 2010, 19:22 »
Just looked at the MK2 for sale section and there must have been about four 16v Oak green MK2's for sale all started about 2.5K and they have been going down low as 1.8K without wheels?
A few rust spots granted they have from 150K to 160K on them, but a year ago people paid good money for them.
I still laugh at threads who say Oak green is a rare colour just go to ED38 and have a look?
The point of this thread is you really want to save a MK2 and have to be a die hard fan of MK2's ownership. I'm not even sure if the fuel and rising insurance costs have anything to do with decline ownership, but I'm worried these people might break them for cash instead?  :sad:

Saw one on ebay it needed major welding, but looked alright for right money? He proberly ended up breaking and made more money out of it :cry:

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
Re: Was Forum whoring on ED38 Whats Happening?
« Reply #1 on: 07 November 2010, 19:36 »
Oak green is a rare colour, but it seems lately more and more oaky owners have clocked onto them fetching a premium over other coloured mk2s, and are cashing in on it. The value of mk2s does seem to have gone up and down over the past few years. Time of year tends to have an effect as well. Plus winter is the time to buy a cabby cheap  :cool:

Offline the_stink

• Forum addict
  • A3 140 TDI
« Reply #2 on: 07 November 2010, 21:14 »
well all depends on the car i guess just had a quick look alot are VR6's from what i have seen a common conversion by the looks of it but we will see how i fair with the winter! Just clocked 150k still pulling strong but a service is in need!

Offline Thom89

• Forum addict
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
« Reply #3 on: 07 November 2010, 23:53 »
Oak green was never a rare colour, in fact I wolud say it was the most popular metallics next to Atlas grey back in the day! motor traders weren't over keen in putting them in stock, as with virtually everything else, green was the kiss of death on forecourts, unless it was a Mini, MG, Jaguar.. but back then it was all about Tornado, Mars, Atlas etc
In my opinion, Oak green is just a really nice shade of green that works really well with BB cars, and lots of black trim, take it up a level, with a drop and some RS's and it an instant hit! could it be that the Oak green cars are now a victim on their own sucess, and people are now looking further afield for rarer colours, just to be different... If so then Ed38 is where its going to happen first :rolleyes:

Thom
« Last Edit: 08 November 2010, 00:03 by thom89 »

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #4 on: 08 November 2010, 00:16 »
TBH I dont really like the colour, think my fav is white. There arent any colours that strike me as 'rare' but then again i never really pay attention to the colour, just the condition of the car

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 08 November 2010, 09:20 »
Not my tates but the rarest colout is Terracota there is a nice red on ebay but it was a GL.
I've not seen a 3dr Atlas Grey big bumper on the road only at shows (Loads of 5dr ones). Oak Greens I have seen about 5 of them in the London Surrey area. My thoughts are the K plates are the ones that get registered the latest, has to be Alpine white! Not many people wanted them(due to colour hasstle of cleaning) and any manufactured around 92' did not get registered at DVLA until 93', hence I have seen about three "K" plates on Alpine White in my life time.
I'm starting to think 3dr and 5dr makes is more of a choice pattern as people back in the day being pratical with 5drs was better than 3drs?  :rolleyes:

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 08 November 2010, 09:30 »
I've never been a fan of oak greenies either, just not to my taste. I even dare to say my jade green mk2 is rarer  :lipsrsealed:

Also I'd like to say my donor car was a 3 door atlas grey gti  :cool:

I've never really swayed towards 3 or 5 door models, I think they look just as good in either shape  :smiley:

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 08 November 2010, 09:46 »
I've never been a fan of oak greenies either, just not to my taste. I even dare to say my jade green mk2 is rarer  :lipsrsealed:

Also I'd like to say my donor car was a 3 door atlas grey gti  :cool:

I've never really swayed towards 3 or 5 door models, I think they look just as good in either shape  :smiley:

The only reasons for a 3dr is the body is more rigid due to complete welds and a solid rear A pillar.
This is a choice of dropping bigger engine plants plus its lighter overall the 3dr.

Offline apie2004

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 08 November 2010, 11:05 »
I think helios blue is pretty rare

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #9 on: 08 November 2010, 11:13 »
Mars red must be amongst the rarest of colours. Pretty sure it was only available during the 1st 18 months of production.

Nick