Author Topic: what to do with my project mk3 gti 8v?????  (Read 1425 times)

Offline ~s14silvia~

• Just got here
what to do with my project mk3 gti 8v?????
« on: 13 February 2010, 21:41 »
hi there peole.. bought an mk3 gti 8v a while  back as a project car with the intension to have it fixed up and running..  its got a running problem, i have looked into it in this forum and seem quite a common one being, intermitent cutting out and oil light comming on.. now the car isnt starting whatsoever .. unsure what to do with this o'll bus.. dont know whether to spend the money and have it running or break her for spares. think i paid over the odds for this so dont think i want to spend alot chasing a problem that could cost alot too sort as im currently getting a very high spec s14 getting built and this is my priority the now paid 700 for it beleiving it would be an easy fix although it has got 17's and a full stainless and origonal gti wheels and is mot'd till august...
what do you guys think?
any advice would be good!

Offline flexiblefish98

• Here all the time
Re: what to do with my project mk3 gti 8v?????
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2010, 22:44 »
Couple of simple things you could try that wouldn't cost the earth, especially if you can do them yourself!
If it's cutting out, oil light flashing then not restarting it's highly likely to be you Crank position sensor, fits just behind oil filter, one bolt. Costs £50 from GSF and solved most peoples cutting out of the type you describe. The other in to change the ECU relay 30, £12 from VW pull out old one and then plug in new!

Offline tonysmallwood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2010, 20:45 »
try the relay first as it cheepest i have this prob and when i wiggle the relay all is ok
Suspected scammer - account locked please do not buy from this user.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2010, 19:07 »
Scrap it.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #4 on: 15 February 2010, 21:40 »
Scrap it.

i was waiting for you to say this! :D

VW BUSH

« Reply #5 on: 16 February 2010, 00:29 »
Scrap it.

I was going to say sink it  :grin:

Offline lfcscott

• GTI forum regular
  • Mk3 gti 2.0 8v
« Reply #6 on: 16 February 2010, 00:39 »
if its only gonna cost the above to get it running you could at least regain some of the cash you spent buying it in the first place,if you break it there is a lot of hassle involved ie:listing all the parts,storing all the parts/car what prices you will want for each part it could take quite a while to recoup some of the money already spent buying it.i say try the above at least & if you get it running you can then if you want get shut of the whole thing with less hassle.

Offline naturn007

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 21 February 2010, 08:28 »
if its only gonna cost the above to get it running you could at least regain some of the cash you spent buying it in the first place,if you break it there is a lot of hassle involved ie:listing all the parts,storing all the parts/car what prices you will want for each part it could take quite a while to recoup some of the money already spent buying it.i say try the above at least & if you get it running you can then if you want get shut of the whole thing with less hassle.

+1  :smiley:  I had similar problems, i changed the Crankshaft Position Sensor and all is good now.

Offline Reasty

• I live here
  • Alpine white valver.
« Reply #8 on: 21 February 2010, 09:27 »
My advice would be enjoy the car untill you need to either change the theromstat or do any thing with the coolant system then get the fck rid of it coz ull never be able to get the airlocks out the system!,then buy a mk2  :smiley: :wink: :tongue: