Author Topic: Klunking noise?  (Read 1131 times)

Offline Pot-Gti-T

• Not said much yet
Klunking noise?
« on: 27 September 2004, 23:03 »
Hi,
? ? I have a 1999 GTI T and there is a sort of Knocking/klunking noise coming from the rear of the car when driven over un-avoidable pot holes in the road, i had the bushes checked out & was told they were fine, the car is lowerd & has 35 profile tyres but it made this noise before they were fitted, ive had the car about 18 months now but it has'nt got any worse, i went out in my friends golf and it did'nt make this noise so thought i better try find out what the problem is.

Hope someone can help.
Drew.
20 valves, a blower, Jetex induction, Remus full system, 19" RVRs

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
Re: Klunking noise?
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2004, 23:07 »
this will sound daft, but have you checked your spare-wheel well ? i left a socket in there once and the clunking had me baffled for a week !  :-[

Offline Pot-Gti-T

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 27 September 2004, 23:16 »
No but i will check that in the morning, i get the feeling its something a bit bigger than that its quite a deep thuding sound thanks tho ill let you know.

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 28 September 2004, 09:02 »
it'll be the exhaust banging somewhere, especially if its "sitting on its ass"

Offline Pot-Gti-T

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 29 September 2004, 18:28 »
I've changed the exhaust since i've owned it and its always been the same, i still suspect bushes but like i said i have had it checked, also i got told to check the sub frame bolts as they can come loose aparently?

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #5 on: 29 September 2004, 18:57 »
worth checking i suppose, i believe they're also stretch bolts so should be replaced with new ones if you ever remove them.

Offline Pot-Gti-T

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 29 September 2004, 23:33 »
Right! its going up on the ramps on saturday & i'll have a real good route around, im gonna get to the bottom of this so if theres any other suggestions as to where to look please let me know.

vwsystems

« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2004, 11:04 »
rear top mounts!

ive got a noise which came lastnight its a metalic knock when i accelerate and then lay off!

i thought it may be the front engine mount!

i checked most bushes lastnigh they look ok,,

but i do have a whining noise either front or rear bearing.
both of the rears were dont in may when i had my mot so i did think it was one of the front,
i jacked the car up and shook all the wheels
abit of play in both of the back bearings not enought to say its gone! the front the nearside was solid and the drivers side it had a slight bit of play in it but when i did my brakes it was solid!

its whining pretty loud so i'l jack it all up again and see if theres any difference

Offline Pot-Gti-T

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 01 October 2004, 21:24 »
VWsystems,
 This may sound a bit odd but when i got my golf it had a strange wheel bearing kind of noise so it went back to the dealer on the warranty, they ended up changing all the wheel bearings & it was still the same, after loads of messing around & even considering changing the gearbox it was miss shaped rear tyres i could'nt believe it, got them changed & its been fine since.

Worth a look i think.

vwsystems

« Reply #9 on: 01 October 2004, 21:41 »
got falken 451's on the front and michelin pilot sx gt carbon on the back fcuking wide fcukers!

ive jacked it up again....... the play in front wheel has gone just play in back wheels!