Author Topic: pics of my 209906 mile camshaft and tapets! did the rocker gasket  (Read 892 times)

vwsystems

i did the rocker cover gasket and i didnt know what to expect when i took the cover off and then the cam splash guard! and supprise this is what i saw
there is no wear on the cam and i know there is abit of burnt oil but its pretty clean the vr6 is like new no black anywhere. but thats only got 100000 mile on it ...... but my gti was made in 87 and oil has got loads better since then!
even mobil 1 there new bottles are more advanced than the oil they did in 87...... i have always used very good oil
mostly valvoline syn power then castrol gtx magnatec and then valvoline maxlife and and now its got the magnatec back in it..... i got it ?10 cheaper from makro! ;D its never gone below minimum! and ive always changed the oil first every 3000 miles and then the last 2 years i went from 6000 to 10000 miles but it does burn lot of oil up......
picutres speak for themselves! ;D
this is the factory engine!
however i dont know what this looked like before i had it ive had this since 98! so it may have been abit more caked! than this but i'd dowt it..... its been looked after by the previous owners! other wise it wouldnt be here now!
if the top end was really worn it like most fords found in the scrappers would show score marks on the lobes! no marks there...... i havent touched the cam this it how it was when i took the cover off!
the only thing i have done is gunked the cover and cam gaurd! the guards come clean but the rocker was still black so i gunked it a few times and give it a hosing.....its got most of the s*** off it! i would have too pic of the cover but i was gunking in the dark well nearly! ;D

« Last Edit: 24 September 2004, 01:04 by vwsystems »