Author Topic: Oil leak  (Read 1542 times)

Offline Fraiser

• I live here
Oil leak
« on: 22 September 2004, 20:44 »

Driving along and my oil buzzer came on- strange as i checked ooil other day adn all was cool.

got home adn parked up checked oil - No oil.

So topped it up all good.

parked the car for a while adn came out to find oil spots here and there.

Jacked up the car with help of solo and we have find out where the leak is coming from. Its leaking oil from abover the oil filter, there is the bit that u screw the oil filter to but on top of that is a cirular type plate. seems the oil is seeping through when teh car is running.

Now i need help on how to get that unit off as we cannot seem to do it. Anyone know how ??? Thanks in advance.

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
Re: Oil leak
« Reply #1 on: 23 September 2004, 09:28 »
the oil pressure sensor has gone. i had the exact same problem on saturday

when the engine is runnin oil pisses up thru the sensor & into the wee black rubber connector. start the engine then squeeze the rubber boot

you just screw the sensor out, just undo the big nut. costs about 4.50 for a new one from any motor factors shop!

Offline Fraiser

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2004, 11:29 »
Thanks gambit :)

i noticed something else though : u know where the sensors sit the oil seemed to be seeping out from underneath the plate they sit on.

i take it it just looks like the oil is coming from there due to the sensor being gone???

ps i still got those center caps for u

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 23 September 2004, 11:56 »
you'll get a copper washer on the new sensor, this will stop any from seeping out between the nut & plate when tightened up.

its best to take the old sensor with you as so u can check the numbers on them

ones a high pressure the other is low pressure and i can never remember which is what!!

once refitted i'd get it steam cleaned in around it, then your able to see if any oil is still leaking

dont need the centre caps now cheers, as the white 16v is gone, and the new 16v has splits on it already ;D

vwsystems

« Reply #4 on: 24 September 2004, 01:39 »
i thought you may have been on about a leak from the seal between the oil cooler and the oil filter bracket/housing!

i hope your engine isnt damaged due to the oil loss..
my b reg gti blew its oil filter seal... and the led came on but no buzzer at the time is didnt know how you test the buzzer..... well it use to cry wolf sometime..... i started it up on a multistory....... 1 mile from home...
it started flashing i though cry wolf again..... but it wasnt kidding! byt the time i nearlt got home i could hear the eigne getting noiser...... i reversed in my drive noticed the oil dripping.......... there was none in and this was a 2nd hand bottom end a bloke put in for me 10000 mile before this happend! that was ?500! because the big ends went the orignaly!
2000 mile later it started knocking! and when my dad was going to ask a bloke what this knocking was it did it again at start up on my drive my dad was driving it out oil all over the road! a big mess the filter was full of silver filings! from the first time! it happen! ended up seling it in auction for ?90 this was before i got in the vw scene....... i had this b reg in 2002!
had my brothers gti soon after and its been ok!

i now know abit about the cars............
1 thing i do know is run a car without oil its naffed!
because it happend to me! if the
buzzer ever comes on clutch in and engine off! roll to a stop !

Offline Fraiser

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 24 September 2004, 09:49 »
Heres a pic of where it seems to be leaking from. i dont think that is the sensor leaking.

see where the black arrow is pointing?? Th eleak is between that metal plate and the white housing. so what could it be - do i need to replace the housing or is it just a seal or has the housing just come loose due to too many oil changes as ive been told the nut for the housing can come loose as  it turns in the opposite direction of the way the oil filter goes on???
sorry for being so thick but i just ned to be sure. :)

vwsystems

« Reply #6 on: 24 September 2004, 12:33 »
thats what i said it might be......

Offline Fraiser

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 24 September 2004, 18:56 »

all fixed - couldnt get the oil cooler off proper missin wouldnt slide off because of the pipe underneath.

however me and solo decided to check how tight the nut was as it came off too easily- when we tightendd it back up hey presto no oil leak :)

Offline so1o

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 24 September 2004, 23:40 »
Fraiser was lucky because as soon as the buzzer came on he had a look and saw oil so decided not to drive it at all, We checked the oil and there was still plenty of it in there so no damage done at all.

Im pretty sure its not called an oil cooler because my 2.0 16v nova has one and it looks like a mini radiator.....anyway the nut just needed a few turns to tighten properly, hey presto oil leak gone.

Solo

Veedubgt18v

« Reply #9 on: 25 September 2004, 09:56 »
it is an oil cooler, that block thing has coolant circulating thru it removing heat from the oil. the heat is the dissapted along with the rest of the coolant heat in the normal radiator