Author Topic: intercooling a NA engine  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
intercooling a NA engine
« on: 22 September 2004, 02:02 »
in theory wouldn't this reduce the intake temps when travelling fast enough for it to make a diff and therefore make the air cooler and make the engine run better?

just a thought. I know mine runs loads better once you've got fast enough for the intercooler to make a diff and actually cool the air unlike it does round town.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline davidhawkins_78

• I live here
  • Valver Bad Boy
Re: intercooling a NA engine
« Reply #1 on: 22 September 2004, 13:01 »
I principle yes - but charged air can often be anything up to 200 degrees C (so I'm told), so it benefits much more compared to ambiant air used in an NA engine ... a nice intercooler can cool the air by some 70% before it reaches the inlet manifold !

You'd never find this with a NA engine - plus the benifits would be marginal over a well sheilded standard intake - as found on a GTI? ;D
« Last Edit: 22 September 2004, 13:03 by davidhawkins_78 »

'89 Monza Blue Valver
to quote a VW engineer, "the Mk1 was the prototype, the Mk2, the real thing!"

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 22 September 2004, 14:50 »
if there was benefit of it then you would see it in use in various aspects of motorsport, u dont see it so therefore would consider it to be of no benefit

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #3 on: 22 September 2004, 17:26 »
Turbos pump hot air into the engine due to heat-soak, that's why they need (inter)cooling. You'd need to be driving through Antarctica with 300mph icy headwinds for an intercooler to have any effect on intake temperatures on a N/A engine.
Nice idea though  ;)
A proper cold-air intake with ducting to the front of the car is the best way. Charge-coolers are a different matter altogether though..

Veedubgt18v

« Reply #4 on: 23 September 2004, 15:33 »
whats a charge cooler?

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #5 on: 23 September 2004, 18:24 »
a water cooled intercooler.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

vwsystems

« Reply #6 on: 25 September 2004, 11:12 »
i would have thought that is would be very restrictive!

on a turbo its already got pressurised air going through the cooler so the air gets forced through and goes through faster but on a n/a engine it would have to suck it through and it may be too restrictive!