Author Topic: What 8V Cam?  (Read 1018 times)

Offline lostplanetj

• Not said much yet
  • mmm
What 8V Cam?
« on: 12 September 2004, 14:59 »
just serviced my MK2 8V, new cam belt etc, although it seems to lack a bit of punch, almost as if the Camshaft is worn out.(97,000)and i dont know the history of the car before 2 weeks ago.
So i'm thinking of replacing it, but what with?
obvious would be get a standard VW one, but i would like to see what other people have done and what results they had.
I found this on the net whilst searching for alternatives
http://www.needforspeed.co.uk/pages/sbv_pl.asp?Vehicle=VWGOL02&PartType=CAM01
model GS1H these prices dont include the Vat and delivery is steep.
i did find a piper cam (fast road/rally) in the demon tweeks catalogue but it's not online.
I dont want to lose all bottom end or am not after huge performance increases.
What are these performance cams like to live with?
Any suggestions?

TIA
JP
« Last Edit: 12 September 2004, 17:01 by lostplanetj »

Offline LostBok

• Here all the time
Re: What 8V Cam?
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2004, 08:13 »
not sure about the Mk2 cams, but I just got a Schrick cam for my Mk3 (2.0 8v) and it is VERY nice... lost some of the VERY low <2000rpm torque, a shade lower for the low-ish torque, but noticably better from 3000rpm upwards... now revs through to 6500rpm and beyond.... previously used to die at 5500rpm!
LOSTBOK
Audi A4(B6): 2.5TDi Quattro Sport: Factory fitted Xenons, BOSE, and full sports leather "Soul Black / Titanium".
Mods: All OEM: S-Line bodykit, RNS-E, Bluetooth, Audi R8 FBMFSW, SDS-High voice control, full DIS, cruise control, Aero wiper mod.
In progress: 5 x OEM S4/Ronal 'Avus' 18's & 235/45ZR18 Toyo Proxes T1-R (bah! wheels delayed until WC 27-JUL-09)
Researching: Colour DIS, Freeview and DAB tuner with iPodvid/PSP/AV in for the RNS-E.

Veedubgt18v

Re: What 8V Cam?
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2004, 09:59 »
i severely doubt that your cam is worn out at 97000, check your static ignition timing and make sure everthing is properly lined up, especially if you have had it all apart to do a cambelt change. then get a strobe gun and fine tune the timing. if it is a digi 8v then disconnect the blue temp sender and time it off the fly wheel. you need to time it at between 2000 and 2500 rpm to get it right. try this before spending bucks on a cam