Author Topic: Swapped from Android to Iphone  (Read 659 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Swapped from Android to Iphone
« on: 17 May 2022, 10:47 »
For about 6 years now my main personal phone has been an Android (currently Samsung Galaxy S20). However just a few weeks ago I decided on a change and swapped across to an iPhone 13 Pro. Overall I would say the change has been a success, (i.e. it's very quick, has amazing battery life, better camera etc.) and I've found that Apple Car play loads pretty much instantly in the car (wired), vs Android Auto which whilst not the end of the world, can take over 30 seconds to load once connected. It's something I've just lived with but overall Apple car play just seems much quicker and snappier.

However there is one thing that the Samsung beat the iPhone at hands down, and that was the ability to run an App called Macrodroid. It's a small app that allows you to create macros, and in my case it's set that when the phone connects to my current car's (the GTI) Bluetooth, it disables WIFI on the phone and activates the personal hotspot feature that enable the car's on line services to connect to the internet i.e. live traffic data, petrol prices, online POI and destinations etc.). When the phone disconnects from the car's Bluetooth, then Macrodroid shuts off the personal hotspot and reactivates the phones WIFI. Its all automatic and does it's thing perfectly every time without me having to think about it, and has been doing so perfectly for over 2 years. Yes, I know a lot of you don't like the VW online services but I happen to like it a lot. 

Now the iPhone doesn't have an IOS equivalent to Macrodroid, and I've tried working with IOS's shortcut's and can't seem to manage the same thing (unless anyone knows how). No problem I thought, I'll just manually activate the personal hotspot feature on the iPhone before I put the phone in the centre console for each journey. There seems to be 2 issues with that though. Firstly I don't always remember to active the hotspot feature on the phone before I set off, meaning I can't do anything about it until I've parked up or have a passenger in the car to mess with the phone, and secondly the car or the phone don't seem to like each other much as very frequently, even if I do activate the hotspot and the car connects, I've found that weirdly part way though the journey the phone and car just disconnect (even though the hotspot feature is still on) - I can't seem to work out why. Any thoughts anyone ?

I sorta don't really want to swap phones again just to cure the hotspot connectivity issues if I don't' have to, so do any tech genius's have any ideas how I overcome this please ?

I'd appreciate any comments ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline willni

• I live here
Re: Swapped from Android to Iphone
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2022, 10:58 »
I can't really comment on a solution for the iphone bit but for the car wifi, you could do a 3g/4g box with a sim card with a £5 top up on it and wire it into the boot to solve your solution. Pretty sure I saw someone on here on did that.

But I've found with my iphone when using bluetooth streaming of music it can randomly drop out, and sometimes doesn't activate the carplay when wired in. I think it's to do with the phone software so not much I can do there.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2022, 11:35 »
Workflow?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2022, 12:23 »
Workflow?

Yes, I believe that was the IOS equivalent, but whether its as good as macrodroid I don't know.

Macrodroid is superb and I still (have to) use it in my Mk8....
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2022, 14:01 »
Just had a quick look a Workflow on the App store - is that right it's in French only ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2022, 21:57 »
May have got wrong name

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/ifttt-automation-workflow/id660944635

But it used to be free, and looking at reviews there’s a few bugs since v3