Author Topic: Is my car kaput!  (Read 1286 times)

Offline Spittfire

• Not said much yet
Is my car kaput!
« on: 01 May 2022, 12:52 »
Hi, has anyone had any similar issues?
Im driving a 2018 GTD DSG with 42,000 miles.
So, on Friday on route to Windsor from Essex cruising at 65-70 on the M25 gearbox suddenly changes down from 7th to 5th and “Gearbox in emergency mode OK to drive” illuminates on the info screen. Pulls car over and it seems it was using only 5th, 3rd and 1st when it slowed. Sat there for a few minutes with engine off then started it again and all messages are clear and the car is using all its gears fine.
Yesterday we drove around no problems at all.
Today the same problem. Turned it off again and its all cleared. Then 5 mins later while sitting at lights it illuminates again only this time it will only select 1st and reverse. Trying it in manual mode or using the paddle shift had no effect, 1st only.
I only purchased the car from Cinch back in November and it only had its main dealer full service a few weeks back. I was loving the car up until today :cry:
« Last Edit: 01 May 2022, 12:59 by Spittfire »
2014 GTD DSG Carbon Grey (Stolen)
2018 GTI PP DSG Isaac Blue, Brescias (Sold)
2020 GTI TCR Pure Grey (Sold)
2018 GTD DSG Indium Grey (Current)

Ex: Clio Williams2, GTI MkIII, GTI MkIV, Audi TT, GTD MkV, A3 S-Line, GTD Mk6, GTD Mk7, Evoque, GTI PP, BMW 320 Touring

Offline willni

• I live here
Re: Is my car kaput!
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2022, 15:26 »
Take it to VW to get looked at and make Cinch aware of the issue some of the more experienced members will be able to tell you in detail about your consumer rights when it comes to car purchases.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Spittfire

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2022, 18:44 »
Take it to VW to get looked at and make Cinch aware of the issue some of the more experienced members will be able to tell you in detail about your consumer rights when it comes to car purchases.
Yes, already done a pre emptive phone call to Cinch. They said get a diagnostic done on it and let us know what is said. I think the only problem with going to a VW main dealer is that once they start taking bits off etc you've then entered their world and their prices.

Ex: Clio Williams2, GTI MkIII, GTI MkIV, Audi TT, GTD MkV, A3 S-Line, GTD Mk6, GTD Mk7, Evoque, GTI PP, BMW 320 Touring

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2022, 19:04 »
Don't write off main dealer altogether particularly if it has full vw dealer service history. Given the age of the car it is worth talking to vw customer service in addition to Cinch. There must be goodwill involved in any repair from someone. It could be an electrical/mecatronic issue. As said elsewhere consumer rights worth investigating.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2022, 20:33 »
The repair may be done by VW but I’d be pretty clear that responsibility for any potential costs would be to cinch.

You shouldn’t have a DSG box fail within a few months of purchase.

Does sound like they’re going to play ball.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Spittfire

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 02 May 2022, 08:56 »
So, just to add a bit more to my Cinch experience.
This is not the 1st GTD I have had from them. The 1st car (2019 GTD) was delivered and then wouldn't start  an hour later. Cinch instructed RAC to visit who quickly diagnosed that the original VW battery had been swapped at some point in lieu of some cheap alternative that had less power than the original. They fitted a brand new battery as the cells on the other one had had it. Also my detailing eye had seen that the passenger side had at some point had a respray, a detailing friend’s paint thickness gauge backed this up. Also all the black wheel nut covers and mats were missing.
I informed Cinch that I was unhappy with the whole experience and wanted to return the car. They agreed to have it back and said they would refund the money. They said they had an identical car that was dearer by £250 with less miles and offered me that so I purchased it there and then.

The new car arrived. On inspection the paint was all correct but the dash had two warning lights on and a message indicating ACC and Front assist not available, also no mats. This in hindsight shows there was no pre delivery checks done or it would not have left the garage. You would at least expect the delivery driver to have showed some concern but they did not. Another phone call to Cinch and they palmed me off to the warranty company RAMP. They were pretty good and arranged the car go into Beadles VW Chelmsford and also sorted a courtesy car. One new radar later and the car was all fine and back at home. Fast forward a few weeks later and the wife returned from walking the dog with the drivers wing mirror cap. It had been blowing around on the driveway in some strong winds we were having. The internal clips were broken and of course it was now chipped and scratched from landing face down and blowing around on the floor. Another phone call to Cinch and they surprisingly confirmed they had attempted a smart repair on the mirror cap and probably broke the clips refitting it. Back onto RAMP and they had me booked in to have a new mirror cap fitted. Around the same time the service countdown reminder started which i thought was weird as Cinch claim to service the car prior to arrival. So major 40,000 mile service and new mirror cap fitted and the car was finally completely sorted. Even managed to get brand new mats from ebay for £40 even though Cinch argued that GTDs don't come with mats as standard.

And now the gearbox.

I know I purchased the car in November and that their 3 month warranty had expired but I still expect £22k worth of car to last longer than 6 months. Annoyingly going through emails yesterday I saw a reminder to extend the warranty, but this had gone to my junk mail folder, something I would definitely have taken out.
Any advice on what my consumer rights are at this point?
Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: 02 May 2022, 10:10 by Spittfire »

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 02 May 2022, 09:26 »
@Spittfire; have a read of this in relation to consumer rights when buying a used car.

https://www.theaa.com/car-buying/legal-rights
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl