Author Topic: Meeting up with grandad…  (Read 2338 times)

Offline WelshGolf

• GTI forum regular
Re: Meeting up with grandad…
« Reply #10 on: 08 April 2022, 14:10 »
I used be against the 5 doors golfs but after owning a 3 door R and having to watch people struggle to open the long heavy doors if I was parked on a slight camber in the road, the 5 door is a lot better. Or i'm getting older and more practical.
Golf 7R - Gone
Golf 7.5 GTi - Gone
Golf 8 Clubsport - On order

Offline GTI_Ant

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 08 April 2022, 18:10 »
Yeah I know what you mean about getting older. This will be the first non 3-door car I’ve had since 1990. I’ve always considered the 3 door to be lighter, stiffer, and more secure, as well as better looking and a bit cheaper.
GTi Clubsport DCC winter pack rear camera
Previous:
7.5R 3dr DSG DPB Prets Dynaudio
MK7 GTI PP Tungsten Silver Manual Nav Dynaudio Winter Pack Park Assist

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 08 April 2022, 18:47 »
I loved my 3 door but I don't miss not being able to get out of it when parked close to another car/wall etc due to the length of the doors!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 23 April 2022, 15:55 »
A friend of mine picked up this Pirelli Edition recently, here is my car meeting her older sibling  :cool:

MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 23 April 2022, 17:08 »
A friend of mine picked up this Pirelli Edition recently, here is my car meeting her older sibling  :cool:

Yellow was a very rare colour for the mk5 GTI Pirelli Edition if I remember correctly. IMHO it looks very good in yellow :cool:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 24 April 2022, 11:27 »
That yellow looks fantastic!

If they did that for the Mk8 I'd jump at it.   :drool:
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 24 April 2022, 14:34 »
Wow! Awesome pair  :cool:
Most Pirellis I’ve seen have been blue or silver, the signature yellow is super rare on an already super rare car.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 24 April 2022, 15:09 »
Wow! Awesome pair  :cool:
Most Pirellis I’ve seen have been blue or silver, the signature yellow is super rare on an already super rare car.

I don’t think yellow was one of the available UK colours at the time. This particular example was imported from Japan late last year. It’s in incredibly mint condition all round. Not a spec of rust underneath, a testament to the un-salted smooth Japanese roads and jap cars tend to do very small mileage too. Only approx 45k miles on this car.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 24 April 2022, 17:56 »
The mk5 looks really good in the yellow. Getting decent underseal job including inner surfaces completed for a Japanese import is a pain judging by a neighbour who imported a low mileage 7 seat nissan elgrand.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 25 April 2022, 10:29 »
An import explains it!
I did wonder if it had been a grey import from Belgium or the Netherlands which had been a popular route around that point in history.

I knew of a mk4 R32 that had been imported from Japan some years ago, it was really surprising just how many parts differed to EU spec cars, from things like the windscreen and side glass safety etchings to the numberplate apertures being different, not just lack of wax and radios that didn’t have the right bandwidths.

There’s an importer not far from me that brings in JDM spec rarities direct from Japanese auctions, people pay a fortune for these things! 
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner