Author Topic: Newbie, hopefully with an MK7 GTI soon  (Read 1675 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: Newbie, hopefully with an MK7 GTI soon
« Reply #10 on: 08 March 2022, 16:16 »
I've read and heard some very good things about the DSG but then I'm sure I've heard people moan about them too.

As it will forever be  :laugh:
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 08 March 2022, 17:11 »
DSG for me, after driving Auto’s for 16 years it was the first option I ticked.
Glad I did, just leave it in drive for messing about around town and the paddles for messing about on the open road👍
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 08 March 2022, 21:14 »
I had autos for 15 years when I got my first GTI which was a manual PP and I loved it. Really embraced it, did a few simple mods to improve the feel. I would've kept it but I found the PP engine a bit lacking at times so went for a TCR which of course is DSG only. Most of the time the DSG is very good but it has some irritating habits. It can be slow when you want to get on with it and I find selecting different modes daft, on a normal auto if you want to go fast you just give the loud pedal a hard shove and off you go, no fannying around! Also not a fan of the paddles on the steering wheel, a bit too much playstation, I like proper mechanicals. From what you've said about your Mini, it doesn't sound like you are a keen manual user so I'd guess that a DSG would likely be your best bet.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline C320

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 09 March 2022, 12:23 »
DSG for me, after driving Auto’s for 16 years it was the first option I ticked.
Glad I did, just leave it in drive for messing about around town and the paddles for messing about on the open road👍

Thanks Adam T7!

I had autos for 15 years when I got my first GTI which was a manual PP and I loved it. Really embraced it, did a few simple mods to improve the feel. I would've kept it but I found the PP engine a bit lacking at times so went for a TCR which of course is DSG only. Most of the time the DSG is very good but it has some irritating habits. It can be slow when you want to get on with it and I find selecting different modes daft, on a normal auto if you want to go fast you just give the loud pedal a hard shove and off you go, no fannying around! Also not a fan of the paddles on the steering wheel, a bit too much playstation, I like proper mechanicals. From what you've said about your Mini, it doesn't sound like you are a keen manual user so I'd guess that a DSG would likely be your best bet.

Yep, sounds fair :)

Came across this DSG GTI on AutoTrader - it doesn't seem to look right. Shouldn't the front grille and headlights have the red stripe?, was there an option to delete the red, or has this one perhaps been modified (or at worst accident damaged)?

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 09 March 2022, 12:40 »
It could just be a previous owner preferred the look, it also has black mirrors which should be body coloured. I think the lights and grill are from a GTD. The best thing to do is just go and have a look if you are interested, looks like it is well specced.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.