Author Topic: GTI MK2 16V MK2 5 DR 1992 factory spec info  (Read 3503 times)

Offline PhilWR

• Just got here
GTI MK2 16V MK2 5 DR 1992 factory spec info
« on: 05 December 2021, 18:09 »
I have recently bought a 1992 GTI MK2 16V. The VIN plate and boot sticker are present but not all codes can be read on the boot sticker. From the VIN plate it is a Wolfsburg produced car - Code W. Code N correct for 1992.
I am wanting to put the car back to its Original spec.
I have three questions please -
The car now has half tinted rear lights. Would they have been factory fitted as an option?
The car now has a Wolfsburg leather sports steering wheel. There is a code on the boot sticker 1ME and from the database this is "Steering Wheel" Could this also be factory fitted option?
From the initial research I have carried out my car could be one of the last big bumper, 5 door Pearl Grey with manual sun roof out there. The chassis number is 112673. It was first registered May 1992 and if my info is correct they stopped production in February 1992. Any views please. Thanks

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: GTI MK2 16V MK2 5 DR 1992 factory spec info
« Reply #1 on: 07 December 2021, 14:52 »
16 Valves had 1/2 tinted rear lights. Genuine ones are Hella, but many have Pfft aftermarket ones due to being replaced for whatever reason.

My car had an Italvolanti steering wheel, which I believe was a dealer fit option, so won't have a code on the data sticker. Yours may me the same as I'm sure they all came with a plastic wheel as standard. 1ME is sports steering wheel. 1ML is sports steering wheel (leather) Mine says 1ME

If it was built before Feb 92, there's every possibility that it didn't get sold/registered until May. There were a number of K reg cars sold, so they would have been registered after the 1st of August 1992. 
« Last Edit: 07 December 2021, 14:56 by dubber36 »
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline PhilWR

• Just got here
Re: GTI MK2 16V MK2 5 DR 1992 factory spec info
« Reply #2 on: 07 December 2021, 16:07 »
Thanks for that reply and info. The rear lights are Hella so pleased I have done this research. Whilst I have got some none tinted Hella ones to fit I think I will leave it as it is.