Author Topic: To EV or not to EV, that is the question....  (Read 13098 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: To EV or not to EV, that is the question....
« Reply #10 on: 10 November 2021, 05:41 »
The post I’ve been waiting for, and there it is, the little beauty!
I’m so glad it has made such an impression on you. Such a fantastic little package.
The GTI paintwork beading nicely there too.
Keep us informed of your progress pretty please, and some more photos! I love the look with the LCI front end and the black trim.  :cool:
Congrats Splashalot
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 10 November 2021, 05:51 »
Cheers - thanks so much for the kind words.  :smiley:

I solved the much improved ride dilema (glad it wasn't just my imagination).  Tyre pressures on delivery 32/32, as opposed to 40/40 on the initial test!  No wonder it feels so much better.  Will keep them at 32 all around and monitor for abnormal tyre wear.  But handling and steering seems unaffected - still razor sharp responses.

1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 10 November 2021, 06:20 »
Despite the bit of extra weight of the battery car 40 psi does seem incredibly high pressures for Mini. I guess they can claim extra range with the tyres pumped solid.

Have a quick watch of this if you’ve got a few minutes spare.

https://youtu.be/OZ1-Hz4yBU4

It punches above its weight.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #13 on: 10 November 2021, 08:20 »
That's a lovely thing  :cool:

I always have a soft spot for a mini despite some of their foibles. Do think it's currently the best small ev though.

Do write more about it here!

The only downer is that I've not found a good mini forum. Nothing like the vibe here.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 10 November 2021, 08:35 »
Congratulations! Looks great! :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 10 November 2021, 13:47 »
@Splashalot; the Mini looks great - love the colour :cool:. If I was due to change my car now, I think an electric Mini would be a serious contender for me, so I’ll be very interested to hear what it’s like to live with and drive on a daily basis.

Enjoy your new car :smiley:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 11 November 2021, 00:16 »
Thanks all for the lovely kind words.

The Mini is off having PPF fitted at the moment, but once we've put a few miles on and the initial euphoria has worn off I'll update with some driving and ownership experiences.

Cheers from chilly Tassie
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #17 on: 11 November 2021, 14:28 »
I look forward to reading the living with ownership review as its the only EV that currently interests me.  :smiley:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 12 November 2021, 01:47 »
Whilst I'm accumulating experience and thoughts on the Mini, this bloke in the US has some (IMO excellent and accurate) ownership reviews:  https://www.youtube.com/c/TechForumTesla/videos

He also has a Tesla model 3, hence his channel's title. 

Interesting that he has personally timed his Mini 0-60mph at 6.3 seconds, rather than Mini's 7-ish second rating.

Also of interest:  The Mini EV's weight distribution is a perfect 50/50 and it's centre of gravity is 1.5" lower than the Cooper S petrol.  I expect any advantages conferred are largely offset by the Electric's heavier weight, though.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #19 on: 12 November 2021, 15:33 »
Also of interest:  The Mini EV's weight distribution is a perfect 50/50 and it's centre of gravity is 1.5" lower than the Cooper S petrol.  I expect any advantages conferred are largely offset by the Electric's heavier weight, though.

Without the engine block I should think thats much easier to achieve!

And the centre of gravity again, the big thing, the battery, is lower than the engine block would be too.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC