Author Topic: Mk8 Clubsport Squeaking/Creaking noise front right driver side  (Read 10036 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Mk8 Clubsport Squeaking/Creaking noise front right driver side
« Reply #10 on: 09 October 2021, 12:45 »
Is there a TPI for it? Easier to point them at that (because they won't bother looking for a TPI...)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 09 October 2021, 20:26 »
Is there a TPI for it (because they won't bother looking for a TPI...)
My experience of dealers and TPIs. 🥳
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Relishy57

« Reply #12 on: 09 October 2021, 20:32 »
I had a similar problem. Top mount and bearing were replaced and no further noise. No grease mentioned but has been in many reports since.
« Last Edit: 09 October 2021, 20:35 by Relishy57 »

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 09 October 2021, 21:21 »
My clubsport seems to have developed an annoying vibration on low revs, which sounds like it’s somewhere in the passenger side of the dash

Offline Megy_CS

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 10 October 2021, 12:37 »
I had similar sounding noises in my CS and they replaced the NSF top mount and OSF shock strut and now no further noise.

Offline Kraikkonen07

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 13 October 2021, 17:57 »
I had this problem on my clubsport, top mount on the front left suspension was causing the shock absorber to destroy itself, now the noise is happening on the other side !

Offline Sniffer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 15 October 2021, 20:34 »
I, too, had a squeaking/rattling noise coming from (I thought) the NSF suspension on my GTI, especially at slow speeds. Fortunately, I was able to download the evidence from my dashcam because when I first took the car back to my dealers they said they couldn't hear it and then, after showing the Service Manager the video on my PC and, after we had taken the car 400 yds down the road on a test drive, the technician heard it too. But he said he thought it was coming from the rear suspension.

Anyway, he heard it so the car was booked in for a warranty repair two weeks later and, this time, another technician test drove the car, then phoned me to say he was convinced the noise was actually coming from the NSF suspension, which was what I had said initially. Three hours later, he phoned me again to say that he had adjusted the suspension mounts on both OSF and NSF, and applied a generous application of  "Lithium grease" and was convinced that the problem was gone. I think he's right because a week on and 300 miles later and I haven't heard a single squeak.

However, I'm very lucky to have such a good and honest service manager because he doesn't seem to be 100% convinced that his chaps have resolved the problem for good. He is clearly aware this is a known issue and asked me to let him know, immediately, if the problem returns. If that happens, he intends to replace the suspension mounts etc, under warranty.

So, I shall be keeping a very, close eye (and ear) on the problem. But, so far, so good.
« Last Edit: 16 October 2021, 21:45 by Sniffer »
Long Since: 1981-84 Mk1 Golf GTI (Black);
Long Since: 1984-86 Mk 2 Golf GTI (White);
Long Since: 1986-88 Scirocco GTX (Graphite)
Gap - The Sensible Years (Mostly)
Gone: 2016-18 Mk 7 Golf GT TDI; (Silver)
Gone: 2018-20 Mk7.5 Golf GTI DSG (Red)
Gone: 2020 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (White)
Gone: 2021 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Pearl Black),19"Adelaides, Sports Susp and Winter Pack.
2024 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Kings Red), 19" Adelaides, Sports Susp, Winter Pack & Rear View Camera.

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 15 October 2021, 22:48 »
Mines booked in next weekend and I'm worried that if it's been raining and the suspension is wet then the noise won't be heard, I know it's there at low speeds plus when you brake hard and turn in transferring the weight around the suspension.

The other trim noises are usually heard when it's warmer so again I preparing myself for them to say nothing can be heard.

Hopefully they'll get the car up and have a good poke around.

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline Sniffer

• Not said much yet
Back in October 2021 my GTI had some Lithium grease applied by the local dealers (see above post) in an attempt to cure a squeaky, front suspension.

Well, the noise returned (as expected) a few weeks ago and this morning I dropped my car off at the dealers, so that they could investigate the cause.  I've just had a call to say that they have identified the problem and ordered up replacement boots and that my car should be ready tomorrow.

Replacement boots after only 8,000 miles and in a car that it is not yet one year old?? That does seem odd. Has anyone else experienced similar?
« Last Edit: 05 April 2022, 12:29 by Sniffer »
Long Since: 1981-84 Mk1 Golf GTI (Black);
Long Since: 1984-86 Mk 2 Golf GTI (White);
Long Since: 1986-88 Scirocco GTX (Graphite)
Gap - The Sensible Years (Mostly)
Gone: 2016-18 Mk 7 Golf GT TDI; (Silver)
Gone: 2018-20 Mk7.5 Golf GTI DSG (Red)
Gone: 2020 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (White)
Gone: 2021 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Pearl Black),19"Adelaides, Sports Susp and Winter Pack.
2024 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Kings Red), 19" Adelaides, Sports Susp, Winter Pack & Rear View Camera.

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
We had exactly the same on a 6 month old demo with 5000 ish miles
Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.