Author Topic: 1.8 8v cold start issues  (Read 4265 times)

Offline Mk2gtiguy

• Just got here
1.8 8v cold start issues
« on: 22 August 2021, 23:54 »
Hey all, would really appreciate some help on this one, I've been sitting here scratching my head and trying to deal with it for the last week or so.
So recently my GTI has been running really rough and misfirey from cold, and if you try driving, its almost like limited on power and sputtering away, also smells like it's overfuelling quite badly, it pops all the way. It's not the blue temp sensor I've already replaced it, as I have seen that it's quite a common issue.
Thing is, as soon as the car has had a single run, and warmed up, it runs on all four cylinders and sounds fine, still smells a bit fuelly, but other than that, no loss of power or anything, but if you leave it over night or until the end of the day it runs awful.
Today was the worst, the car stalled as I was trying to pull away and I had to manually feather the throttle to get it started, with clouds and clouds of white smoke coming out the back, this car is my daily, and I really urgently need to fix this, so please, if you have any advice please help.

Offline dragonfly

• I live here
Re: 1.8 8v cold start issues
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2021, 15:55 »
Have you cleaned the ISV? Check the fuel filter - when was it last changed?