Author Topic: Mk8 operational tips and tricks  (Read 9288 times)

Offline Tallpaul

• GTI forum regular
Re: Mk8 operational tips and tricks
« Reply #30 on: 20 July 2022, 16:16 »
Eh, what has an external internet connection got to do with CarPlay? Do you get the same problem if you plug in the phone rather than connecting via the cars WLAN?

Based on the feedback of others, activating the Cubic Telecom subscription sounds like introducing another load of bother.

What software version is your infotainment running?

Offline mynameiskris

• Not said much yet
« Reply #31 on: 21 July 2022, 08:10 »
Eh, what has an external internet connection got to do with CarPlay? Do you get the same problem if you plug in the phone rather than connecting via the cars WLAN?

Based on the feedback of others, activating the Cubic Telecom subscription sounds like introducing another load of bother.

What software version is your infotainment running?

From what I can gather, it is not so much the CarPlay but the way the car handles the data the apps need to run. The car wants to use the E-Sim and your phone wants to use its Sim and Apple Music is moving back and forward between the two. All I know is that grabbing that free data plan fixed my problem and I've read that disabling the E-Sim also works. It looks like we will need an update from VW to fix it properly, or Apple. I'm not sure if android auto has the same problem.
Current:
2021/22 Golf GTI, Manual, Pure White, Adelaide, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #32 on: 21 July 2022, 10:50 »
I think the solution for most people is what TallPaul suggests i.e. not activating the Cubic Telecom subscription at all.

I'm not sure what possible benefit this subscription provides when you can share data from your phone to provide wi-fi.

Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline Tallpaul

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #33 on: 21 July 2022, 12:00 »
From what I can gather, it is not so much the CarPlay but the way the car handles the data the apps need to run. The car wants to use the E-Sim and your phone wants to use its Sim and Apple Music is moving back and forward between the two. All I know is that grabbing that free data plan fixed my problem and I've read that disabling the E-Sim also works. It looks like we will need an update from VW to fix it properly, or Apple. I'm not sure if android auto has the same problem.

Odd. I don't have this issue but I'm running software 1890 on perhaps a later hardware version of the infotainment unit.

I appreciate you have identified a work around but I wouldn't advocate enabling the dataplan as it causes a seemingly neverending set of messages if you let the subscription lapse.

Did you try resetting the wireless CarPlay connection and just using it wired? I'd expect that to be a workaround and still allow the eSIM to be used for OTA updates, real-time traffic etc.

Offline Tallpaul

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #34 on: 21 July 2022, 12:01 »

Odd. I don't have this issue but I'm running software 1890 on perhaps a later hardware version of the infotainment unit.

I appreciate you have identified a work around but I wouldn't advocate enabling the dataplan as it causes a seemingly neverending set of messages if you let the subscription lapse.

Did you try resetting the wireless CarPlay connection and just using it wired? I'd expect that to be a workaround and still allow the eSIM to be used for OTA updates, real-time traffic etc (which don't need the dataplan).

Offline mynameiskris

• Not said much yet
« Reply #35 on: 21 July 2022, 14:06 »
I did try resetting the wireless Carplay but it didn't help, and I didn't try the wired option as I want to use the wireless function. I do have a 22 car so it could be to do with the newer hardware but I can't be sure. When I was looking into the problem I found that users from all the VAG group were having similar problems, not just VW, funnily enough, BMW users have had no issue at all. Also, Spotify doesn't suffer the same issues with Carplay as Apple Music. Absolutely bizarre!

Do the messages from the data plan not stop if you close your account with Cubic via their website? I guess I'll see when it runs out.

Hopefully, we will see an update from either VW or Apple, or both in the future.

If anyone else had a similar problem and found a way to fix it without disabling the E-Sim or buying into the data plan please post it here, stop me going insane on my long commutes.
Current:

Offline Tallpaul

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #36 on: 21 July 2022, 14:25 »
Is your music physically stored on your phone or is Apple Music trying to stream it?

Offline mynameiskris

• Not said much yet
« Reply #37 on: 25 July 2022, 13:27 »
Is your music physically stored on your phone or is Apple Music trying to stream it?

I stream it as I'm low on storage and listen to a range of music using autoplay.
Current:

Offline simonwhite2000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #38 on: 25 July 2022, 16:54 »
My Mk8 hasn't been delivered yet but I wondered what options there are with Spotify?

My current 8 series has the Spotify app within iDrive and you sign in and have access to everything. In the Mk8 is the only option via Android Auto?
Awaiting: Mk8 GTI CS
2020: BMW 840 Gran Coupe
2017: Audi B9 S5 Coupe
2014: Mk7 Golf R manual

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #39 on: 25 July 2022, 21:18 »
Yes but remember you have wireless android auto or apple car play.

No integrated app.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC