Author Topic: '16 GTD Squeak at 65mph  (Read 4958 times)

Offline houghton817

• Just got here
'16 GTD Squeak at 65mph
« on: 19 June 2019, 08:01 »
Hello All,

Brand new to this forum and I have tried to do a few searches with quite a few for squeaks coming up, but none seemingly at the speed I was doing this morning.

Bought a GTD in mid May from Evans Halshaw, then weekend just gone put on some Stance coilovers and a splitter (only mods so far).

Obviously since the coilover install there are a few more knocks etc and that's fine, but this morning on the way to work, at around 60/65 mph, there was quite a loud constant squeaking sound coming from the front of the car (guessing the engine, couldn't really pin point it considering the speed etc). It wasn't as I passed over a divot in the road or anything like that. Went up to 70 and tried to go down to 60, but then had to break fairly hard so couldn't tell when it stopped squeaking.

What I'm wondering is, is this a known thing or should I wait it out to see if it returns and then try to refine the area?

Thanks
2016 Golf GTD, Urano Grey (Metallic), DSG, 5 Door.
Had a full interior restoration and exterior Stage 1 Paint Correction and Ceramic Wax not long after purchase.

Done so far:
- KSB Carbon Front Splitter
- Stance+ Coilovers
- Carbon Light Brows
- Carbon Badges
- KillAllWipers Rear Wiper Delete
- Gel+ Plates
- Rear GTD Badge Removal

To do;
- Wind Deflectors
- Rear Light Tint
- Possibly Alloys - thinking Fox Racing MS007 or Rotiform RSE
- Spacers if I get alloys.

Offline dervdave

• Not said much yet
Re: '16 GTD Squeak at 65mph
« Reply #1 on: 20 June 2019, 13:39 »
Front pads ?
2016 GTD

Offline houghton817

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 20 June 2019, 15:33 »
Nice one for the reply.

I did try a quick blip of the brakes on the motorway and it stayed until I slowed down to around 30ish because of traffic.

No idea, certainly a bizarre one!
Had a full interior restoration and exterior Stage 1 Paint Correction and Ceramic Wax not long after purchase.

Done so far:
- Stance+ Coilovers
- Carbon Light Brows
- Carbon Badges
- Gel+ Plates
- Rear GTD Badge Removal

To do;
- Wind Deflectors
- Rear Light Tint
- Spacers if I get alloys.

Offline dervdave

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2019, 09:48 »
A little more info on the squeak might help...…is it rotational ? can it be replicated by revving stationary ?does it happen over bumps ? dependent on road surface ? metallic or plastic ?
2016 GTD

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2019, 14:42 »
First thing I would do, is go back and check EVERY nut and bolt that you touched, changed, looked at during the weekends exercise...it's pretty easy to overlook something when putting it all together again. (don't ask me how I know this).

Good luck.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline houghton817

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 25 June 2019, 15:18 »
Well, it hasn't done it since so I'm baffled!

Have to keep my eye on it, but I found it very strange considering nothing appeared to get it to stop other than slowing down.

Thanks though gents for the info and advice.  Will keep it in mind if it does return.

Done so far:
- Stance+ Coilovers
- Carbon Light Brows
- Carbon Badges
- Gel+ Plates
- Rear GTD Badge Removal

To do;
- Wind Deflectors
- Rear Light Tint