Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2786717 times)

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #12720 on: 29 January 2023, 23:09 »
Wristwitch…
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #12721 on: 29 January 2023, 23:10 »
Damn…..watch!!

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12722 on: 30 January 2023, 06:19 »
Just imagine the quality of paddle you could get for Rolex wristwitch money P6!

I had set of S2T’s which I fitted to my TCR but alas I never got on with the DCC suspension on that car so t’was a brief affair. A shame really as in all other respects it was the perfect car.
Those paddles were of very high quality though.

For some reason I’ve never been able to make the best of DSG, you mention using the paddles on every journey but I never really think about using them and the TCU is a slow witted thing at times. I should make more of an effort to learn how to get the best from DSG. I tend to let it do its thing and just sit back and endure the ride.
I like the idea of BEV’s, no gearbox, just lots of instant torque. However I don’t like the price of BEV’s.

@Will, I never tire of looking at pics of your GTI. It sits perfectly and it goes to show that you don’t absolutely need 19’s for aesthetics.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #12723 on: 30 January 2023, 08:39 »
I also had a set of S2T paddles and wasn't enamoured with them mostly because mine had manufacturing defects which made them wobble...as well as the colour wasn't a perfect match with the gti chrome steering wheel trim. These NCZ Works are very OEM+ and don't look out of place in my opinion

I also haven't been able to properly utilise the DSG box, out of laziness more than anything. I did last week and it was great and realised the OEM paddles don't lend themselves actually being used well, hence the purchase.

@Exonian thank you, I think the 3 doors can get away with a lot more in terms of design choices than the 5 doors, where the 5 doors do need the 19s for a bit of flare. Either way we'll be counting down the days until my next set of alloys I'm sure :rolleyes:
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #12724 on: 30 January 2023, 09:35 »
I fitted these paddles that I bought from China:

I can't remember exactly how much they cost but they were very cheap, £10 or £15 delivered. They are really well finished, match the metal work on the steering wheel perfectly, feel great to touch and fit exactly like the oem ones. A bargain and they look pretty good too! Mind you, I very rarely use them although I did find out recently if you put the 'box in S before going into manual, it does seem to sharpen up the gear changes.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #12725 on: 30 January 2023, 10:41 »
I fitted these paddles that I bought from China:

I can't remember exactly how much they cost but they were very cheap, £10 or £15 delivered. They are really well finished, match the metal work on the steering wheel perfectly, feel great to touch and fit exactly like the oem ones. A bargain and they look pretty good too! Mind you, I very rarely use them although I did find out recently if you put the 'box in S before going into manual, it does seem to sharpen up the gear changes.

They're the ones I have too (except mine are black). They're a full replacement for the existing paddle, not stuck on. Can't see how £140 would buy you anything more tbqh

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #12726 on: 30 January 2023, 10:42 »
WOW those paddles are expensive. And you still have to do assembly yourself eg glue?

Edit: Rather than sound aggressive, maybe I should clarify what I meant... Do these offer anything more than other options? I feel like there must be something I am missing

Why do some people pay £50 for a wristwitch while others pay £150?

Engineering, design, heritage, perceived status...

Offline LSBristol

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12727 on: 30 January 2023, 17:26 »
Washed and waxed. That'll probably last a good few hours before it's filthy again!

Looking at getting some new locking wheelnuts as the ones supplied by wheelbase alloys 1. Have started to rust and 2. Don't fit conventional wheelnut covers. (maybe some causation there)

mk7.5 non-PP, Indium Grey, manual

TCR backbox
Bola B16 19" in crystal sylver
DTUK pedalbox+

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #12728 on: 30 January 2023, 17:37 »
My paddles are things of exquisite beauty and bring me much pride and joy.
My watch cost £30 10 years ago but I do understand why others would spend more on a much nicer watch, presumably for the same reasons as I feel about my paddles!

Turning to use, I flick down gears when washing off speed in the same way as on a manual I might have changed down as well as braking. Old school but involving. Oh, just to explain that I passed my test in 1968 when disc brakes were a rarity and you had to use your gears to slow the bloody things down.

Anyway, I also flick down a gear if going into a roundabout without stopping as I know the car will hold my preferred gear through and out the other side, no matter what throttle opening, unlike the DSG Drive mode which can’t make up its mind whether it’s Arthur or Martha as they used to say.

But most of all I 100% of the time use it when overtaking to give amazing passing power. I also like the fact I can flick up and down the box without my wife, as nervous passenger, noticing. If the overtaking slot doesn’t look safe, just flick up again, then down when ready. Changes are astonishingly fast as we all know.

In summary, I couldn’t really warm to DSG (my first auto) until I learned to use the paddles and also sometimes to lock it in manual when for example going up a long motorway incline when dropping it manually from 7 to 6 cuts out the “drone” and makes the car feel much happier at a steady uphill 70.

Sooooo, my point is (I think) that in 4 years of ownership, if I use the paddles on average 5 times a day, the use/cost analysis makes me feel good!

Howzat?

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #12729 on: 30 January 2023, 18:39 »
Turning to use, I flick down gears when washing off speed in the same way as on a manual I might have changed down as well as braking. Old school but involving. Oh, just to explain that I passed my test in 1968 when disc brakes were a rarity and you had to use your gears to slow the bloody things down.

Funny you mention that, in manual I do that as well. But I remember watching a might car mods video where Moog said something along the lines of 'you can engine brake, but brake pads are cheaper to replace than a clutch'.

Not that either are overly harsh anyway unless you're letting it engine brake at 6k rpm through the gears regularly, but food for thought none the less.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/