Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2786974 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #11910 on: 09 December 2021, 22:10 »
Does the non-PP have front and rear parking sensors? That's a question asked on my renewal so could be the reason, also maybe the camera.

It had front and rear parking sensors - according to the Feb 2019 price list and spec brochure.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #11911 on: 09 December 2021, 22:12 »
Yes, spec wise a PP and a non PP MK7.5 have identical specs apart from the items that the performance pack brings (I.e. LSD, bigger brakes, 7 speed DSG gearbox and of course the small power hike)
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline baka

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11912 on: 10 December 2021, 01:01 »
Renewed my insurance today with a different company to get a better price.  About the same cost as last year but discovered in the quote process that a PP is less to insure than my car, a non PP. The agent could offer no explanation and had no clue about the differences in performance/features/spec. He just said that was what the system quoted for each of the cars. Maybe it’s the better brakes!   Has anyone else had this experience? Quite surprised by this and forgot to ask their response to potentially changing the wheels to non OEM even though they will be the same size. I suspect there may be a cost. :shocked:

It could be that your insurers claims history for the non PP version of the GTI is worse than it is for the PP and they’re reflecting this in their premiums.

Each insurer will have their own approach to replacement alloys. One insurer I used in the past even charged for changing the factory alloys to another set of OEM VW alloys of the same size / spec as the originals. The annual charge was only about £15, but nevertheless it was still a charge. Some insurers are fine with aftermarket alloys and will accept without charging an additional premium whereas others might make a small charge.

My insurer gave me £30 back when I told then I had fitted different OEM wheels. They work in mysterious ways.

Perhaps something to do with the originals being diamond cut and a replacement potentially not being so? Not that they asked about it.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #11913 on: 11 December 2021, 17:27 »
Placed an order with Royal steering wheels to reupholster my wheel, hopefully get it before Christmas  :smiley:

Also turned the Soundaktor back on in the car through VCDs, closest I'll get to performance in winter  :grin:
« Last Edit: 12 December 2021, 14:44 by willni »
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #11914 on: 11 December 2021, 18:35 »
Placed an order with Royal steering wheels to reupholster my wheel, hopefully get it before Christmas  :smiley:

Lovely, opting for some alcantara??

I updated my maps today, what a faff.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #11915 on: 11 December 2021, 20:16 »

Lovely, opting for some alcantara??

I updated my maps today, what a faff.

Just the same again as my GTD but with red stitching or TCR style without the 12 o'clock stripe. With there being no alcantara in the car it doesn't fit my oem upgrades.

Slightly thicker, Perforated leather on sides, Smooth top/bottom, Red stitching

Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #11916 on: 12 December 2021, 16:10 »
I was in touch with Royal Steering wheels a while ago and seem to remember there were different routes to having the work done. I also looked at a a guy called Arek in Ballymena  who was recommended to me to do a similar wheel. Are Royal going to send you a wheel supplied by them or did you take your wheel off and post it? Was it straightforward  to remove? How long will the replacement process take? Please post when you have received your wheel. I am interested in their service.
« Last Edit: 12 December 2021, 16:49 by Ceefeesh »
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11917 on: 12 December 2021, 18:42 »
Those Royal steering wheels look amazing. They’re the icing on the cake for a 7 or 7.5 (Clubsport and TCR notwithstanding) interior.  :cool:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #11918 on: 12 December 2021, 18:44 »
I was in touch with Royal Steering wheels a while ago and seem to remember there were different routes to having the work done. I also looked at a a guy called Arek in Ballymena  who was recommended to me to do a similar wheel. Are Royal going to send you a wheel supplied by them or did you take your wheel off and post it? Was it straightforward  to remove? How long will the replacement process take? Please post when you have received your wheel. I am interested in their service.

I’ve used Arek before and also seen what he’s done before. Poor quality alcantara was used on the steering wheel but his work is pretty flawless, A friend used him to redo his bmw seats front and rear £400 and he told him spare no expense just do it 100%. The result…it was like factory fresh, so yeah Arek does great work just look at the materials first.

Yes I opted for the exchange service, £100 security deposit + the price of the retrim and £13 postage. Removing the steering wheel is 30 mins - 1 hour for the battery to discharge, and 5-10 mins removing the steering wheels and refitting. I’m happy to help you with this  :smiley:

Royal steering wheels are quite busy at the minute so i’m 2-3 weeks out, and I’ll update you when I get it.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #11919 on: 12 December 2021, 19:44 »
Changed the throttle response from “ standard “ to “ responsive “ using obd11 today.

It does make a noticeable difference, I prefer the new setting.

Still a lag if you dump the throttle, so you still have to be  progressive.

Above 3k revs it’s great

2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.