Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2786705 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #10810 on: 10 October 2020, 12:56 »
Today I test drove a TCR.

How did you find it compared with your R? (I've not driven an R).

Honestly I’m a bit confused. I love a gti, especially a special Ed so it reminded me massively of my ed35. Real sense of purpose. It terms of the drive it felt very similar in lots of ways to the R bit nowhere as quick. That’s not a negative but just an observation. It reacquainted me with my old friend, wheel spin. I quite enjoyed that bit!
Definitely lighter and the front turns in far sharper. It wasn’t a long drive and I had to go down back roads as it was rush hour (if that exists anymore). Tbf the dealer said I could come back again to have another go. Hmmmm

Interesting that you found it slower.
Against a stop watch it probably is but I found the TCR had better throttle response than my R and a more even spread of torque.
Admittedly my 2015 R was a manual and second gear always felt far too low, plus it could bog down off the line on occasion.
Depends on what sort of roads the test drive was on and how hard you drove it I guess.
I can’t say I’ve ever really got anything overly positive out of a test drive in all my years as I’m too busy processing information in my head to get a true feel for the car.
I’d say do one of two things. Either get another test drive on more open sweeping roads where the TCR comes into its own or if you don’t regularly drive on roads like that then chalk the test drive down to experience and appreciate the R for all its positives. It’s still quite new so will last you a good few years until the mk8 looks less... err...

Great points as always. The test drive wasn’t great really. Back roads with speed bumps and only a few times was unable to open the taps. When I say slower perhaps it’s the way it’s delivered. My R is literally bang and it’s off. What was nice about the TCR was there was less dead pedal travel. The test drive was odd as the salesman was with me in the front and we’re both wearing masks so less than ideal.
I’ve had no figures back yet.
Wait for an Ed45 to raise its head, go TCR or keep the brilliant R? Lord knows!
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Panelpin

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10811 on: 10 October 2020, 13:10 »
Emptied my bits and pieces out of my gti , jumping ship
Pick up my new Audi S3 on Monday

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #10812 on: 10 October 2020, 13:37 »

That arrived pretty quickly! I’m too used to VW build waits!!  :rolleyes:
Don’t forget first impressions and photos are obligatory  :whistle:

How do you feel? Sad? Excited? Both?!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Online Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #10813 on: 10 October 2020, 14:14 »
or keep the brilliant R?

Could it be that you know the answer? Perhaps what you really need to do is figure out what it is about your R that after only a year or so has you looking elsewhere? Are you normally someone who likes to swap your cars quickly or is there something about it that isn't clicking with you, despite what a great car it is?

Great! I too would be interested in your thoughts on the S3 :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #10814 on: 10 October 2020, 15:45 »
You’ve hit the nail on the head Watts. It’s that I’d like to have a car to keep for a long time next and I see the TCR or a CS as those type of cars. Think that I loved my ed35 so they have a similar feel. Definitely going to keep the R though. It’s too good not to.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #10815 on: 10 October 2020, 16:46 »
You’ve hit the nail on the head Watts. It’s that I’d like to have a car to keep for a long time next and I see the TCR or a CS as those type of cars. Think that I loved my ed35 so they have a similar feel. Definitely going to keep the R though. It’s too good not to.

Easier said than done when you frequent car forums!

Believe it or not I hate buying cars. The whole process fills me with dread and it’s a massive expensive hassle. Each car I buy I fully intend to keep for years.

The Ed40 and TCR might well be collectible in years to come but they probably won’t be worth masses more if any at all than a desirable colour and spec late model R.
Your car is in the right colour with the right extras so will be an enduring proposition.

I darn near bought a Lapiz 20 plate R instead of the BMW. Plans were to add black Prets and mirror caps, possibly TCR sills and spoiler and a steering wheel re-trim. A car I could quite happily live with for a good few years despite already having had a mk7 for nearly seven years.
Mind you I’d have happily kept the TCR another few years if it wasn’t for my bloody back.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #10816 on: 10 October 2020, 17:49 »

Easier said than done when you frequent car forums!

Believe it or not I hate buying cars. The whole process fills me with dread and it’s a massive expensive hassle. Each car I buy I fully intend to keep for years.

The Ed40 and TCR might well be collectible in years to come but they probably won’t be worth masses more if any at all than a desirable colour and spec late model R.
Your car is in the right colour with the right extras so will be an enduring proposition.

I darn near bought a Lapiz 20 plate R instead of the BMW. Plans were to add black Prets and mirror caps, possibly TCR sills and spoiler and a steering wheel re-trim. A car I could quite happily live with for a good few years despite already having had a mk7 for nearly seven years.
Mind you I’d have happily kept the TCR another few years if it wasn’t for my bloody back.

You hate buying cars!  :grin:

It would be utter madness for me to change. Financially it makes no sense even though I managed around a 7k discount on the R, but also from a driving sense. The TCR is just too similar. Maybe if I was in a PP GTI I could justify it, maybe. If I was in a gti that was due a change then it’d be a no brainer.

Just had a look at those side skirts. £450 each. Gulp. Like the idea of returning the steering wheel. There’s been some brilliant examples on here recently. It’s why I love this place.

Online Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #10817 on: 10 October 2020, 18:15 »
It would be utter madness for me to change. Financially it makes no sense even though I managed around a 7k discount on the R, but also from a driving sense. The TCR is just too similar. Maybe if I was in a PP GTI I could justify it, maybe. If I was in a gti that was due a change then it’d be a no brainer.

That was the dilemma I had when I was considering changing. I intend keeping the TCR for a long time though and it was a decent change from the PP which was nearly 5 years old. Perhaps a little more personalisation will satisfy you?

How is your back now, feeling better?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #10818 on: 10 October 2020, 18:17 »
Exonian, just tried to send you a PM but your inbox is full. Tut tut!   :grin:

This is not what I did to my MK7 today.  :grin:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #10819 on: 10 October 2020, 23:04 »
Oops!

Cleared a bit of space now

Yep, I do genuinely hate changing cars.
I hate spending the money, I hate the anxiety of what potential problems or issues the new car might throw up, I hate stripping my current car back to standard and then parting with it...
I’m full of things that never quite add up!

Watts, my back seems reasonably fine now thank you. Old age creaks and stiffness aside!
I’ve done some stupid lifting and heaving things about these last couple months and it seems ok but still an occasional sudden movement induced twinge.
Probably too much information there  :grin:  :rolleyes: but i was just running through a mental VCDS diagnostic back health scan whilst typing  :laugh:
Occasional intermittent fault code recorded but generally ok considering well worn modern classic status of my bodywork and mechanicals...
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner