Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2786691 times)

Offline JBirchy

• Here all the time
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #1380 on: 10 November 2014, 20:31 »
Covered a few hundred miles over the weekend travelling up to the Lakes to celebrate my Wife and her twin sisters birthday. The Michelin winter tyres are exceptional and really highlight how poor the S001's are. Temps were around 5-6 degrees travelling up and it was torrential rain on the motorway and it just felt so planted, cutting through standing water and generally feeling pretty solid. Other than high speed direction changes which feel a bit wooly with a touch more understeer (non PP btw), they make for a much more rounded driving experience. Ride comfort is incredibly, even more polished than with the summers on and road noise is reduced. I'm seriously considering ditching the Bridgestones in favour of Michelin Pilot Sport 3's (Not sure it quite needs Super Sports).

Other than that, sorted some more station logos for the DAB. It needs a wash desperado, but I'm off to the Wales Rally GB on Friday, and down to the Classic Car Show at the NEC on Saturday so it will get a nice bath and another coat of protection on Sunday morning.

MK7 GTI 3-Door DSG, Tornado Red, Discover Nav, Winter Pack, ACC, Keyless Go, Reversing Camera, Service Pack... Ordered 28th Oct... Collected 1st March!

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1381 on: 10 November 2014, 20:44 »
JBirchy: I wish i'd ditched the Bridgestones on day 1 (tightarse that I am  :grin:), they truly are sh!te. VW continuing to fit these is a crime against motoring!
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #1382 on: 10 November 2014, 23:08 »
Looking good. Where did you get the badge skins from? I can only see them abroad!

Also fitted badgeskins vinyl stickers to VW emblems, front and rear, and to the GTI front grill badge.

HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline JBirchy

• Here all the time
« Reply #1383 on: 11 November 2014, 15:51 »
JBirchy: I wish i'd ditched the Bridgestones on day 1 (tightarse that I am  :grin:), they truly are sh!te. VW continuing to fit these is a crime against motoring!

Absolutely! The thing is, its hard to ditch a perfectly 'legal' set of tyres with decent tread depths isn't it?!

I'll do some research and if I've got the spare cash available come March/April, I'll have a set of Pilot Sport 3's I think.
MK7 GTI 3-Door DSG, Tornado Red, Discover Nav, Winter Pack, ACC, Keyless Go, Reversing Camera, Service Pack... Ordered 28th Oct... Collected 1st March!

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #1384 on: 11 November 2014, 16:41 »
I know it doesn't take much to beat the Bridgestone Potenza S001, but I see a lot of people recommended Michelin tyres so I've just been onto black circles, and it made interesting reading.

For my (our) size of tyre - 225/40/R18/Y, out of their top 6 recommended buys, the Michelin's are not only the most expensive (although not by much), but also have a fairly mediocre efficiency rating of "E" (for the Pilot Sport 3's).

Comparing these to the the Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance I see this:

Price - Goodyear - £105.99    Michelin - £114.49

Efficiency - Goodyear  "B"    Michelin "E"

Wet Braking - Goodyear "A"    Michelin "A"

Noise - Goodyear 69db    Michelin 71db

** all prices mail order only as of 11th November**

It seems that these new Goodyear's beats or matches the PS3's, but you never hear them mentioned. Are the PS3's really better than all the rest and the above is just marketing blurb ?

Interesting to note that the Bridgestone Potenza S001's get marks of "E", "B" and 73db, and yet get 5 stars in reviews ?? go figure.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline kevinm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1385 on: 11 November 2014, 16:48 »
The Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2 is the Goodyear alternative to the PS3 imo
Current: His: 2020 M340i   Hers: 2019 GTD

Previous:
2014 GTI PP DSG
GTI ED30 DSG

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1386 on: 11 November 2014, 16:52 »
Be careful where you get your new tyres fitted, I know I can take a car to Costco and have top equipment used properly, with not a mark on the wheels. I've been to a blackcircles nominated fitter on a Polo and had the wheels badly scratched by a Jenny bar wielding monkey when the tyres got changed. Always found the Michelins wore well and whiter than the OEM option they replaced, with great grip. £108 a corner fully fitted and usually with £30/70 cashback for 2/4 tyres.

I don't read a lot into tyre reviews - on paper Bridgestones look.pretty good.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #1387 on: 11 November 2014, 16:59 »
I was just using black circles as an example. As you say, I wouldn't let a mobile tyre monkey any where near my car. Have a really good performance type dealership here where I live, and they normally do really good prices to. Have the latest state of the art tyre changing machinery and in the 6 years I've been using them, never had a mark on the alloys (although to be fair, I've never had diamond cut alloys before).
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #1388 on: 11 November 2014, 17:13 »
I have tried a range of tyres over the years and there is definitely a large variance between them which is complicated by the fact that particular tyre might perform better on some cars rather than others.

There is a lot said about the Michelin PS3, it is a good tyre and they are wearing well on the front of my GTD... but I do not believe that it is any better than, for example, the current Continental equivalent the SportContact5. My car came with SportContact2's on and they are no worse than the Michelin in general terms... perhaps they were a little noisier but offered very similar grip (wet or dry) and perhaps slightly steering better feel... the Michelins seem to offer slightly better ride.

As for the efficiency question, I have not noticed an increase in fuel consumption since the MIchelins were fitted. I believe that, efficiency is a measure of the rolling resistance and there is a balance to be struck there between wet traction and low rolling resistance.

In reality, the Bridgestone is not a bad tyre - in spite of what MH says every other post  :tongue:, but is not perhaps (a) for the Golf and (b) suited to cold temperatures. Of all the modern tyres I've tried in the last few years, the Bridgestone is the most temperature sensitive. Last winter in my g/f's Bridgestone shod BMW 120d, you could spin the rear wheels off the throttle in 2nd before you got some heat into the tyres. Once warm, they were fine with good feel and better than reasonable grip and most importantly the car was well balanced. The problem was that in the wet, getting heat into them (especially the fronts) was difficult which made the car feel edgy in the wet especially given their stiff sidewalls - which may be why generating heat was difficult in the wet... Funnily enough, her 320d M-Sport has the Bridgestones in 19" and I have no complaints about them... but it has not been very cold yet...

The other point here is that tyres are quite subjective because absolute grip is not the only story... or we'd all have a set of semi-slicks for the dry/damp, M&S tyres for the winter and so on... they're a compromise and everyone will have a different view on that compromise.

I personally, avoid Pirellis for while they offer decent grip, they also seem to wear very quickly and attract punctures but some swear by them.

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #1389 on: 11 November 2014, 17:18 »
Problem with the bridgestones is that you can't get them to warm up at all so you never get really good grip with them. I'll be going new Goodyear asy 2's when I need tyres although the conti sport 2's have been a good tyre so may consider the conti 5's.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.