Author Topic: AK's mk3 16v 'Virginia'  (Read 45404 times)

Offline whileoceanasleeps

• I live here
  • patience comes to those who wait.
Re: AK's mk3 16v 'Virginia'
« Reply #20 on: 30 January 2013, 20:15 »
nice looking bay tho  :cool:

Offline dragongreengolfgti

• I live here
  • my golf gti mk3
« Reply #21 on: 30 January 2013, 20:35 »
good job nice to see another 3 door 16v in dragon green :D i can give you advice maybe and pm you pics of mine to help also i'd suggest using a catch can when using a cone filter  :smiley:

yeah that would be sweet man thanks. what's a catch can?

changed the fuel filter just now. the old one is such a pita to get off, for some reason vw put these poxy metal clips in under the nuts, pointless methinks when there are nuts :angry: still it's done anyway :)

no worries, A catch can is a oil can basically any excess oil being pulled in through the inlet should get put in it. Meaning cleaner throttle body etc when i had a cone filter i noticed one day lots of oil coming out of it and dripping into the engine bay now i run a enclosed induction with cold air feed and catch can which i think has improved things a lot  :smiley:

aha. do you find you collect a fair amount in there then? quite like the idea of having your cone down below! I was gonna smooth my airbox but may do that cos I love the cone sound. did you have to do much mods to fit down there?

finally got round to checking my ecu number yesterday for the chip, it's in the post now. looking forward to seeing what gains I can get from it! apparently a decat helps. ive sent him a message so ill see what he says re gains/hardware

It collects about 1/4 -1/2 full every 3-6 months so enough to justify it  :smiley: The set-up is relatively easy with a few custom brackets and some chopping to various parts  :sad: Worst part is getting the cold air feed down to the vent as its not very bendy so on first set-up I done I went through one alternator belt not realising due to engine movement it was rubbing through the belt over several months  :cry: So second time round I have managed to sort it hopefully with a bit more chopping down under  :grin: I don't know what you will gain from the chip and de-cat but if I we're you I'd rolling road it before and after to see I'm guessing 5-10bhp if your lucky and that's if your engine is running healthy to start with. Good luck love dragon green mk3's.

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 03 February 2013, 19:15 »
good job nice to see another 3 door 16v in dragon green :D i can give you advice maybe and pm you pics of mine to help also i'd suggest using a catch can when using a cone filter  :smiley:

yeah that would be sweet man thanks. what's a catch can?

changed the fuel filter just now. the old one is such a pita to get off, for some reason vw put these poxy metal clips in under the nuts, pointless methinks when there are nuts :angry: still it's done anyway :)

no worries, A catch can is a oil can basically any excess oil being pulled in through the inlet should get put in it. Meaning cleaner throttle body etc when i had a cone filter i noticed one day lots of oil coming out of it and dripping into the engine bay now i run a enclosed induction with cold air feed and catch can which i think has improved things a lot  :smiley:

aha. do you find you collect a fair amount in there then? quite like the idea of having your cone down below! I was gonna smooth my airbox but may do that cos I love the cone sound. did you have to do much mods to fit down there?

finally got round to checking my ecu number yesterday for the chip, it's in the post now. looking forward to seeing what gains I can get from it! apparently a decat helps. ive sent him a message so ill see what he says re gains/hardware

It collects about 1/4 -1/2 full every 3-6 months so enough to justify it  :smiley: The set-up is relatively easy with a few custom brackets and some chopping to various parts  :sad: Worst part is getting the cold air feed down to the vent as its not very bendy so on first set-up I done I went through one alternator belt not realising due to engine movement it was rubbing through the belt over several months  :cry: So second time round I have managed to sort it hopefully with a bit more chopping down under  :grin: I don't know what you will gain from the chip and de-cat but if I we're you I'd rolling road it before and after to see I'm guessing 5-10bhp if your lucky and that's if your engine is running healthy to start with. Good luck love dragon green mk3's.

it's all about the dragon green! have you got two dragon greens!? digging the white wheels man, looks original. how big was your cone then, near the size of mine? thanks for reminding me re engine health-need to do a compression test soon! never done rr, wouldn't mind trying that soon

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 03 February 2013, 19:19 »
so I'm on the train home back from a killer 3 day bender in London and was bored so thought I'd write a full to-do/to-buy list for Virgin.

-fit chip when it comes
-new ht leads
-rocker gaskets
-waterpump/pulley
-tracking-urgent!
-paint intake manifold & rocker cover (white & red maybe or something more unusual)
-4-branch exhaust manifold. be cool if I could make one
-straight through pipe to scorpion backbox
-new discs and pads all round
-new brake fluid
-anni clocks with white and red LEDs
-corrado 3.94 gearbox
-new wheels-prob some vr6 ones for the mo and they're cheap and this is a cheap project :p prob lensos later..
-pressed ali plates
-mod airbox
-k+n panel
-port throttle body
-fli sub to extend the range of the audio system
-get some CL rear clusters, red instead of the gti smoked models

Offline murraymint

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 03 February 2013, 20:43 »
Sounds like a good list!
josh

95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 07 February 2013, 12:18 »
cheers mr mint.

went to my first vw meet last night and it was effin freezing cold but a good night. met up with a couple of mates I hadn't seen in a while, and some guy was taking photos of my car! she looked quite high compared to all the cars there, really want to go lower but the ride feels good at this height. need new wheels soon! gotta somehow get a bit more oversteer to get quicker cornering too.

here's some pics
there's no competition for looks between a mk2 and a mk3. mk2s are amazing.

and mk1s. yummy.

virgy and my mates 1.3 polo, this thing is surprisingly quick. photo taken just before a reverse bump start tho :p

this guy surprised me

and finally look what came today!!

Offline Screech16v

• I live here
  • MK3 20vt AGU
« Reply #26 on: 10 February 2013, 14:18 »
Put a bit more pressure in the back tyres for a touch more oversteer  or lower the front/heighten the rear will help to :wink:
Car is looking great man .

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 10 February 2013, 14:42 »
Put a bit more pressure in the back tyres for a touch more oversteer  or lower the front/heighten the rear will help to :wink:
Car is looking great man .

cheers man, not a piece on yours tho!

ill try more pressure in the rears then, think I'm on 32/32 at the mo. ill try 30/35 and see what happens through the corners  :wink:

Offline Screech16v

• I live here
  • MK3 20vt AGU
« Reply #28 on: 10 February 2013, 14:55 »
Haha but don't come crying if you bin it  :grin:  30 in the front is a bit low imo .
« Last Edit: 10 February 2013, 15:00 by Screech16v »

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 10 February 2013, 15:11 »
Haha but don't come crying if you bin it  :grin:  30 in the front is a bit low imo .

ha ill be more careful this time!  :grin: what pressures would you recommend? I did have a rear upper strut brace in my last golf but haven't fitted into this as not sure it actually did anything!