Author Topic: Newbie, first Golf  (Read 7116 times)

Offline chrisbeg34

• Not said much yet
Newbie, first Golf
« on: 12 July 2011, 23:34 »
Just sharing my First golf, got it on Saturday after wanting one for years, will post a few more pics but this is the ony one I have at the moment. Got it for a bargain price so does need some work :smiley:

Will be replacing the front fogs with crystal clear ones, and it does need two doors drivers side, as it got scrapped of a post, when the old owner was driving it out of his garden, and tried to repair with a hammer by the looks of things :sad:.

any advice on what to look out for on these golfs, is much appreciated, or maybe some mod ideas, but like to keep it nice and orginal, ie no big bodykits :grin:

Thanks for looking, will add more pics over time, as new items get added or work gets done
« Last Edit: 25 August 2011, 16:24 by chrisbeg34 »

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: Newbie, first Golf
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2011, 23:37 »
Looks a good base.

Lower it and nice wheels :afro:

Offline chrisbeg34

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2011, 23:45 »
Have to agree it is riding a little bit high, and the alloys do it no justice. Will be shopping around to see what I can find

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2011, 23:51 »
Hello again.  :grin:

Check for rust behind all the plastic trim, they are prone to getting really bad behind the sill and arch trims, catch it early and you're laughing, ignore it and it will quickly catch up with you.

Offline travisreeve

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2011, 23:54 »
exactly what shaun said :D looks good from the pics hope to see this go far  :smiley:

Offline chrisbeg34

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 13 July 2011, 00:07 »
Thank you for the comments, and I will have allok behind the plastics this weekend, hopefully it will not be to bad. fingers crossed, got me a bit worried now lol. I am sure it will be ok, will most probably find a bit.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #6 on: 13 July 2011, 00:11 »
Thank you for the comments, and I will have allok behind the plastics this weekend, hopefully it will not be to bad. fingers crossed, got me a bit worried now lol. I am sure it will be ok, will most probably find a bit.

Ah don't worry.... but if you find a bit now then you can easily sort it as its hidden anyway. at least then you can treat it and prevent it from getting worse.  little bits grow fast on these and it's when its shows beyond the plastic you have to worry as by then it's a bit late.

Offline travisreeve

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 13 July 2011, 00:20 »
if all is well and behind them plastic trims is good metal then id advise gettin some sort of cavity wax behind those plastics it will help no end everything thats covered on my mk1 is gettin amber / clear cavity waxed aha weathering and rain shall not be a problem  :cool:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #8 on: 13 July 2011, 00:23 »
if all is well and behind them plastic trims is good metal then id advise gettin some sort of cavity wax behind those plastics it will help no end everything thats covered on my mk1 is gettin amber / clear cavity waxed aha weathering and rain shall not be a problem  :cool:

Yeah mine was done all the way back in 85 with that stuff in most of the vulnerable areas and it really showed when I stripped it last year.  :cool:

Offline chrisbeg34

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 13 July 2011, 00:24 »
 :grin: will definatly invest in the cavity wax once ive seen what sills and arches look like. i'm sure they will be fine.