Author Topic: Dan's N5T LO daily - VR6 Turbo build starting #95  (Read 153689 times)

Offline Dmonday

• I live here
Fair point i can understand where you're both coming from but this is just how i roll, i'll most likely get a 'decent' car with a Chris White approval stamp in a few years but while i'm young and still live with my rents.. why not, could learn from my mistakes or i could have a sweet car at the end of it, who knows eh. But i'm building it so that i can go low without breaking things, raising the engine, chassis notch, tie rod flip etc, eventually re-enforce the bottom of my car / sills.

You've cut notches in the legs that provide crash crumple zones and support the engine in the car.  You've raised the engine out of where it's been designed to fit and deform in a crash, you've flipped the track rod ends so they may be acting outside their design parameters.

Not only are you a bloody danger to yourself, but also to others on the road.  Your suspension will be incapable of sucking up any bumps, to maintain the wheel's contact with the road and thus grip, increasing your stopping distances and (as Chris has mentioned) the car's fitness for purpose.

Frankly I doubt your modifications are insurable, let alone insured.

You strike me as quite possibly one of the stupidest people modifying cars on this forum today.

It's not 'how you roll' it's a danger to the rest of us and I hope it finds you points and fines before too long, as given your age you'll be off the road and uninsurable for some time.  

Even then I suspect you'd probably drive unlicensed and uninsured, because 'that's how you roll'.

'how you roll' is no excuse for the b*stardisation you are committing to this car.

It's a licensed, legislated-for mode of transport, not an iphone cover or some other BS lifestyle enhancing accessory, which is what you're treating it as.

Grow up.  Cars are for adults, skateboards and BMXs are for children like you, who shouldn't be allowed a tonne of metal missile to drive into other road users with no idea of the consequences.

Example of "on paper one thing, in theory another".

I'm sure the car is fine. You just adjust your driving style to suit.

Before you start, I can assure you, I raised my car to standard height today. Went round a roundabout and the wheels lost grip under power and the car understeered.

When it was lowered I could have done it a whole lot faster and it would have gripped and it was at the bottom of the threads.

That's real life example for you. Plus the brakes are sharper.

I agree totally, but you know what's going to happen now... :D

Offline Bellend

• I live here
Fair point i can understand where you're both coming from but this is just how i roll, i'll most likely get a 'decent' car with a Chris White approval stamp in a few years but while i'm young and still live with my rents.. why not, could learn from my mistakes or i could have a sweet car at the end of it, who knows eh. But i'm building it so that i can go low without breaking things, raising the engine, chassis notch, tie rod flip etc, eventually re-enforce the bottom of my car / sills.

You've cut notches in the legs that provide crash crumple zones and support the engine in the car.  You've raised the engine out of where it's been designed to fit and deform in a crash, you've flipped the track rod ends so they may be acting outside their design parameters.

Not only are you a bloody danger to yourself, but also to others on the road.  Your suspension will be incapable of sucking up any bumps, to maintain the wheel's contact with the road and thus grip, increasing your stopping distances and (as Chris has mentioned) the car's fitness for purpose.

Frankly I doubt your modifications are insurable, let alone insured.

You strike me as quite possibly one of the stupidest people modifying cars on this forum today.

It's not 'how you roll' it's a danger to the rest of us and I hope it finds you points and fines before too long, as given your age you'll be off the road and uninsurable for some time.  

Even then I suspect you'd probably drive unlicensed and uninsured, because 'that's how you roll'.

'how you roll' is no excuse for the b*stardisation you are committing to this car.

It's a licensed, legislated-for mode of transport, not an iphone cover or some other BS lifestyle enhancing accessory, which is what you're treating it as.

Grow up.  Cars are for adults, skateboards and BMXs are for children like you, who shouldn't be allowed a tonne of metal missile to drive into other road users with no idea of the consequences.

Before you start, I can assure you, I raised my car to standard height today. Went round a roundabout and the wheels lost grip under power and the car understeered.

When it was lowered I could have done it a whole lot faster and it would have gripped and it was at the bottom of the threads.

I agree totally, but you know what's going to happen now... :D

We're going to get an arrogant, ignorant and generally quite nasty reply, then we won't be able to sleep tonight?  :cry:

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
Bloody hell dan this is a haters gona hate thread lol  :grin: :grin:
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline Chris-White

• I live here
  • Manufactured in Germany. Ruined in Britain.

noone said this was about standard vs lowered. Yes, a golf dropped about 30mm or so with flat whisbones probably will corner quicker than one at standard height. a fully dropped one might FEEL like its cornering quicker. but when the standard one let go, it did is progressively right? With a full drop, your roll centres will be all over the shop and when that car does let go, it will do it very sharply and very suddenly.

theres so many variables in your ''test'' that could affect the roundabout speed that its not even worth considering. had diesel been spilt, did you take the exact same line, where your tyres the same, same tyre pressures all round, braking point identical, how did you feather in the throttle, its just NOT a valid comparison in any way shape or form. Please bear in mind your trying to proove this to people who have had many years of track experience or have studied for degrees in motorsport engineering. Quite frankly, to expect people to consider that as a real life example is basically insulting.

was that arrogant, ignorant or insulting? or am i just a 'hater whos gonna hate' because my opinions and views differ from yours? 
S4 Avant. Eibach springs. 18" Avus. RS4 Intercoolers. Viper Tuned. Goes Fast.

Offline Bellend

• I live here

noone said this was about standard vs lowered. Yes, a golf dropped about 30mm or so with flat whisbones probably will corner quicker than one at standard height. a fully dropped one might FEEL like its cornering quicker. but when the standard one let go, it did is progressively right? With a full drop, your roll centres will be all over the shop and when that car does let go, it will do it very sharply and very suddenly.

theres so many variables in your ''test'' that could affect the roundabout speed that its not even worth considering. had diesel been spilt, did you take the exact same line, where your tyres the same, same tyre pressures all round, braking point identical, how did you feather in the throttle, its just NOT a valid comparison in any way shape or form. Please bear in mind your trying to proove this to people who have had many years of track experience or have studied for degrees in motorsport engineering. Quite frankly, to expect people to consider that as a real life example is basically insulting.

was that arrogant, ignorant or insulting? or am i just a 'hater whos gonna hate' because my opinions and views differ from yours? 

I simply don't agree with the whole progressively letting go.

With it up high, my car as a general rule understeers like an absolute b!tch, and when it lets go it just tends to go, quite sharply.

When it's low, there is a private roundabout and some road in Chatham Docklands and I have had my car at various sharp angles and can feel when it's going to let go.

When it's high, although still controllable, it's a suprise when it goes, lowered, you know when its about to.

Maybe it's just because I'm used to it being low but I know I certainly, personally can drive quicker when it's on the floor.

I'm sure if it was somewhere in the middle it would be even better but still.

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us

It's just how you roll, Chris.

Insert 'haters', 'your Mum' etc rapier-witted comeback below, little children.

This is all terribly reminiscent of another 'real life' loving fact-denying moron on this forum.  :rolleyes:
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Dmonday

• I live here
Leave it at that now guys, yes you will almost definitely have more track experience than us but i'm not building this car for track or handling really :) i know it was brought up but i'm going to lock this thread soon and keep my build thread elsewhere.

Hundreds of people have chassis notches, i'm sure they would fail MOT if they where that unsafe?

Track rod end flips, most corrado owners do this do they not? they are at less of an angle once flipped so would that not mean the geometry would be better than before the flip (once the car is lowered of course)

Raised engine, as above.. i've seen multiple engines pass MOT with raised engines, my engine sits a lot firmer now it's raised and the drive shafts are at less of an angle so for me that's win in both ways.

I'm not arguing, or trying to start an argument.. simply a discussion because this sh!t's boring ha.

Offline Dmonday

• I live here

It's just how you roll, Chris.

Insert 'haters', 'your Mum' etc rapier-witted comeback below, little children.

This is all terribly reminiscent of another 'real life' loving fact-denying moron on this forum.  :rolleyes:

How else are we suppose to reply? Sorry DH i'll go out now and raise my car, drop the engine and weld my chassis leg back up, your insults and witty replys aren't going to change a thing so why bother? :rolleyes:

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI

I simply don't agree with the whole progressively letting go.

With it up high, my car as a general rule understeers like an absolute b!tch, and when it lets go it just tends to go, quite sharply.

When it's low, there is a private roundabout and some road in Chatham Docklands and I have had my car at various sharp angles and can feel when it's going to let go.

When it's high, although still controllable, it's a suprise when it goes, lowered, you know when its about to.

Maybe it's just because I'm used to it being low but I know I certainly, personally can drive quicker when it's on the floor.

I'm sure if it was somewhere in the middle it would be even better but still.

I was there this afternoon as it happens, I didn't notice any tugs in the surrounding waters.  :rolleyes: :lipsrsealed:

Offline Dmonday

• I live here
Re: Dan's new daily - Broken suspension (not DH approved)
« Reply #249 on: 10 May 2011, 00:16 »
:D