Author Topic: 2.9 VR MKII - 200+hp  (Read 1282 times)

Offline g0ldf1sh

• GTI forum regular
2.9 VR MKII - 200+hp
« on: 09 September 2004, 10:15 »
Hi all,

I have an opportunity to purchase all that is needed for a VR6 2.9 MKII Conversion. The engine has over 200hp and has been rebuilt using OE parts, with head skimmed, ports all polished, titanium lifters and springs etc. The engine is mint, i've seen it. Also comes with the MKIII dash. Price is ?2000 is this a good deal??

How much would it cost for DD to fit the engine??
Nehmen Sie Keinen Ersatz an

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
Re: 2.9 VR MKII - 200+hp
« Reply #1 on: 09 September 2004, 12:25 »
what's the mileage?

as for installation costs. best phone them lol. if they ever answer the phone you'll be lucky ;)
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline g0ldf1sh

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 09 September 2004, 14:22 »
It's had new everything Diz, chains, lifters, tappets, springs, piston rings.  So mileage is not that important really.  It's like a new engine so the builder tells me. 

It really is nice, i'm soooooo wanting it right now, need to sort the money out though!  Lots of cash required as i would have to change my coilovers for MKIII VR6 on the front so might well have to buy a whole kit.  FK @ ?650, could get ?200 maybe for my german coilover setup. 

I'm still undecided as it's my daily drive and fuel will be muchos expensive.  Plus no car while it's being fitted etc.

Offline 16v Matt

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 11 September 2004, 09:22 »
To be honest, you might be better looking for a G60 unit or a 1.8t if you intend to spend nuff doller on it.   I'm realiably informed the VR unit is too heavy for the MK2 & can fcuk the handling up.  Would be damn fast in a straight line. Oh & the sound of the vr6 mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Offline VR6220bhp

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2004, 09:57 »
i've got a mk2 golf with a vr6 engine in it, it been max out chipped up and is producing 220bhp the handling on it is just wicked because the suspension is solid coil overs and i haven't even got struts on it. It is up for sale offer around ?4500 im going to put pic up soon the car has over ?20k spent on it look out for it soon

Offline 16v Matt

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2004, 10:36 »
Might be a better option if you if you've set your heart on a mk2 vr6.  If its any good mind ;)

marcus123

« Reply #6 on: 11 September 2004, 11:30 »
Gold fish, as long as you get the coilovers mate dont worry about the handling it will be fine ;)

but i wouldn't go to DD to get it installed mate, ive heard some f**king bad things about them.

are you in wales?
try midland vw, i think they would do the install for a bout 1.5k. ???

you lucky basted! :D

Offline g0ldf1sh

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 16 September 2004, 14:22 »
I've had a change of heart.  I'm loving the whining sound of a supercharger.  Plus i too have heard that the VR6's are a little to heavy and upset handling.

The G60 would be a safer option, still being light should leave the car feeling a little more nimbler.  More or less a straight swap from what i've been told.

Cheaper too!

I'd rather spend the cash on the paintwork than all on an engine and mechanics.  I'm a real fussy bloke when it comes to Paint.  Has to be like glass super smooth, no ripples, no orange peel, no dents, no scratches, no rust and no blemsihes.  LOL.  Not too much to ask a bodyshop! :P

All in all about 5k needed to get my car done i think, then plus wheels, want Keskin KT1's now!!

:P

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #8 on: 21 September 2004, 10:51 »
i was at the phirm the other day and they said that the 16v engine was only a bit lighter than the vr6 lump :o :o

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 21 September 2004, 11:08 »
a g60 will not be a cheaper option. to many things go wrong with charger once you start dabbling with trying to get more power out of them - plus most g60 units are over 10yr old now

id go for the VR6 conversion