Author Topic: Horney's 'James Shead' 1988 BTCC Golf GTI replica build.  (Read 177266 times)

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: Horney's trackday MKII 8v - Project late 80's BTCC replica.
« Reply #720 on: 24 April 2010, 23:35 »
To clarify where the paint is (sorry no pics!) it's not in the main part of the block but in places like filter housing mounting point. The channels for the oil are painted so it looks like they painted the outside of the block then cleaned up the faces rather the masking over the holes and the mounting faces. Does that make sense?

nick

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #721 on: 24 April 2010, 23:38 »
To clarify where the paint is (sorry no pics!) it's not in the main part of the block but in places like filter housing mounting point. The channels for the oil are painted so it looks like they painted the outside of the block then cleaned up the faces rather the masking over the holes and the mounting faces. Does that make sense?

nick

Yep we used to mask the faces off.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #722 on: 24 April 2010, 23:39 »
If painted loads with hammerite in the past mate and it's worry free. Just mask up all the mating surfaces with good quality masking tape and trim with a blade. Then brush it on (I've never tried spraying). Done about 5 mini engines that way and never had a problem.

If this keeps happening I think I'm gonna have to pull the engine out over the winter, strip it down, get it acid dipped and then put it back together.

nick
well the engines back in now... ive cleaned it to death and painted everything else. i might get round to painting the block one day... its at the very bottom of a very long list now!  sh*t, I hope you dont have to do that, a lot of effort for something thats not your fault and not the ususal reason for having to go to those lengths....

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #723 on: 24 April 2010, 23:46 »
I think it's due to the age of it. The engine was originally painted and built about 10 years ago. I think 10 years of trackday heat cycles have started to cause the paint to lift. I suspect most of these original C&R lumps have been binned by now and not many still being abused.

nick

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #724 on: 24 April 2010, 23:55 »
I think it's due to the age of it. The engine was originally painted and built about 10 years ago. I think 10 years of trackday heat cycles have started to cause the paint to lift. I suspect most of these original C&R lumps have been binned by now and not many still being abused.

nick

Is Steve Cresswell or c and r still around

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #725 on: 24 April 2010, 23:59 »

nick
Makes sense..... don't think theres many of mine left either! cant find another one???

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #726 on: 25 April 2010, 00:04 »

nick

Is Steve Cresswell or c and r still around

Yeah they are, spoke to them not that long ago when I was trying to track down the software and cable from the V-Sam Pro unit on the car. They put couldn't help as they haven't supported it for years but did put me in touch with a guy at Racelogic who built the system. They couldn't help either though as they'd recently binned all the stuff from that era.

nick
Makes sense..... don't think theres many of mine left either! cant find another one???

Yours is a GTI engineering lump isn't it? The guy who lives next door to me was best mates with the founder of GTI Engineering, can't remember his name off hand.

nick

Offline Horney

• 10k hero

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #728 on: 25 April 2010, 00:12 »

Yours is a GTI engineering lump isn't it? The guy who lives next door to me was best mates with the founder of GTI Engineering, can't remember his name off hand.

nick
Its a very early enegine, built two years after the car was registered... His name was Richard Lloyd, Its a Richard Lloyd Racing 1800 Plus (stage 3), badge on the rear shows RLR 1800 and the Plate in the bay is GTI engineering with tuning details.  Richard died in a plane crash couple of years ago... made me even more keen to fix the car up again!

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #729 on: 25 April 2010, 00:15 »
That's the one! My neighbour used to be a racing driver and knew Richard through that. I think this was all pre GTI Engineering days though. He now does Rally Driving instruction when he can but was in a bad smash a few years back and shattered his hip and hasn't been able to walk properly ever since.

Nick