Author Topic: Driving modes  (Read 2006 times)

Offline TDInowGTiLover

• Just got here
Driving modes
« on: 14 February 2024, 14:34 »
Hi all, new here and to the GTi along with dsg and driving modes.

Having had Seat cars all my driving life I'm not alien to many things on the car but dsg and driving modes I've not had on previous cars.

One thing I have noticed is when in individual changing between eco, normal and sport for the gear box is in eco when I take my foot off the accelerator and it's effectively coasting that the revs drop to where they would if you had dropped the clutch on a manual which isn't the case in the other 2 settings. This is obviously beneficial to try and get a few extra mpg. Is there a way this can happen in the other 2 settings?
2020 (70 plate) MK 7.5 Golf GTi performance in indium grey
Previous 2017 MK3 Leon xcellence tech (now the wife's)
2011 Seat Exeo 2.0 TDI sport tech
2003 Seat Ibiza mk4 1.9 TDI sport 130. was modded to 180 😁
2000 Seat Ibiza mk3 1.6 sport
1997 seat Ibiza mk2 1.4 SXE

Online jh_97

• GTI forum regular
Re: Driving modes
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2024, 17:58 »
Seems to only happen when in full Eco mode only. Doesn't seem to happen if the drivetrain is set to eco in Individual mode. It would be nice is there was a way to activate it in any more, perhaps holding both paddles or something.

The coasting in itself will use more fuel because fuel needs to be injected to keep the engine turning, whereas no fuel is needed if you lift off and the car is still in gear. Where the fuel saving comes in is where it greatly prolongs the deceleration compared to lifting off while in gear so your driving style needs to be adapted to suit. It's also useful if going down a hill, as you can coast rather than accelerating (especially if there's a slow coach in front...  :rolleyes:)
2018 GTI PP DSG, Pure White, graphite Sevilles, Art Velours

Offline TDInowGTiLover

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2024, 18:31 »
That makes sense although mine is doing it when set to eco in individual. I do think it's odd that it doesn't do it in normal though. Just thought it would make sense. Sport I can understand as it's ready for acceleration at all times..

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2024, 09:25 »
Believe me you do not want it to happen in the other modes as if going around a corner in lets say a spirited fashion as it throws the car off balance.

Not sure how it saves fuel either as when coasting you are using fuel to keep the engine running. Whenin gear no fuel is needed as the cars inertia keeps the engine running.

Online jh_97

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 15 February 2024, 09:43 »
Yep only seems to be in specific situations where it actually saves fuel, which you have to create by adapting your driving style. Another one sample is slowing down from 60/70 for a roundabout or something, you can lift off way before, but then this catches out people behind you...

When you come to braking, it doesn't re-engage the gears so you need to use the brakes a bit more to make up for the slight lack in engine braking. So even if it saves a tiny bit of fuel overall, you're wearing the brakes out slightly faster... ⚖️

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 15 February 2024, 10:35 »
Believe me you do not want it to happen in the other modes as if going around a corner in lets say a spirited fashion as it throws the car off balance.

Not sure how it saves fuel either as when coasting you are using fuel to keep the engine running. Whenin gear no fuel is needed as the cars inertia keeps the engine running.

I’ve never used Eco mode in my car. I’ve read on some forums that Eco also dulls the throttle response, so there’s probably a need - or a temptation - in certain situations when in Eco mode to press the accelerator pedal harder to overcome that numb, dead feeling? If so, then there‘s a good chance any potential gains in fuel economy might be lost.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Online jh_97

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 15 February 2024, 12:22 »
It will probably just change the scaling of the throttle input, making it less sensitive if that makes sense. It does seem a bit more sluggish when slowing down for a junction/roundabout (without stopping) then trying to accelerate again, especially if it decides to coast. Sometimes feels like a good 1+ seconds of nothing before it finds a gear and starts to move  :grin:

I remember seeing a review of the 7.5 R a few years ago that mentioned Eco mode also reduces the turbo boost too

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 16 February 2024, 21:15 »
Honestly the changes in the modes are so minimal that I've never taken mine out of Sport mode. The engine sound effects though the speakers is a big difference but I turned the volume down with an OBD11 and everything sounds so much better

Offline TDInowGTiLover

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 17 February 2024, 12:11 »
In my brief time with the car in sport mode it keeps the revs high even when your foot is completely off the accelerator. This makes sense for better response and more instantaneous turbo.

Offline pixelcellar

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 17 February 2024, 13:46 »
Honestly the changes in the modes are so minimal that I've never taken mine out of Sport mode.

My PP is a lot more responsive in all gears in Sport compared to Eco/Normal, it's also consumes more fuel, I guess as the throttle is contstantly ready to go with the slightest touch.

If I'm not hooning it anywhere I tend to drive more sedately and economically in Eco/Normal (mostly Eco) and then if I want a prolonged bit of fun then I'll switch but it's still decent enough for overtaking at speed without the switch if you take the slight lag into account in Eco/Normal.
2024 - Current: 2019 Mk7.5 Golf GTi TCR 286bhp, 5dr, Pure Grey, 7spd DSG, 19" Oz Ultraleggera HLT Alloys, Park Assist, Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA, Side Assist, Rear View Camera
2020 - 2024: 2019 Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 245bhp, 3dr, Deep Black Pearl, 6spd Manual, 19" Brescia Alloys, Park Assist, Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA, Rear View Camera
2017 - 2020: 2017 Mk5 Polo GTi 190bhp, 3dr, Metallic Black, 6spd Manual, 17" Santiago Alloys