Author Topic: Performance Pack or Not? Have you?  (Read 44020 times)

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
Re: Performance Pack or Not? Have you?
« Reply #10 on: 22 April 2013, 12:00 »
It's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.
The 'diff alone would cost more to fit, the uprated brakes are a bonus and the extra power just the icing on the cake.

+1

Totally agree.. its a no-brainer for the cost. Just a shame they didn't offer the torque vectoring LSD as standard on the GTi & GTD (as found on some bog standard Fords & Nissans). If the LSD was standard fit I may not have gone for the Performance Pack)
Current Toys: Mk7 Golf R 5dr 'Manual', Lapiz Blue, 18" Cadiz Alloys... Caterham R300 Superlight... new Mazda MX5 2.0 SE-L (ND)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 22 April 2013, 12:31 »
Yes.

May as well have ordered a GTD otherwise.
VW have put it there for a reason.
Once the car is remapped (for those of you that do that sort of thing) the PP will come into its own.
Or it could save you waiting for the warranty to expire to remap it as it already has one  :whistle:

And I'm sure it will add something at sale time even if it's just more interest in the car.
« Last Edit: 22 April 2013, 12:33 by Exonian »
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline HA54SYM`

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 22 April 2013, 13:26 »
OK OK, I think I will add it then!  :grin:

Thanks for all the comments.

Dave
94 - Roversport Tomcat Racecar

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #13 on: 22 April 2013, 15:35 »
Given how I drive my current car, and given how much better the stock Mk7 is over the Mk5, I'd rather use that £1,000 towards the new heated screen and phone option with change to spare!  Each unto their own though, and I'm sure it will be worth every penny to those who want it.
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline mk7gti

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 22 April 2013, 20:44 »
Yeah I'd rather go on holiday :smiley: but granted its great for pub talk....

MK7 GTI - Deep Pearl Black - Standard Spec - Ordered 10/12/2015.

MK7 GTI - White - Standard Spec - Service Pack - Collected 11/09/2013.

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 22 April 2013, 20:50 »
I haven't specced it, the way i drive i don't think i'd ever get the most out of it so it'd be a waste of money plus it'll keep me awake on the odd occasion the car does get a kickin!! :)
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline mk7gti

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 22 April 2013, 21:03 »
It one of those things would you ever see the benefit during daily driving plus writing the cheque for another 1k doesn't seem sensible to me. Put it into your mortgage...

MK7 GTI - Deep Pearl Black - Standard Spec - Ordered 10/12/2015.

MK7 GTI - White - Standard Spec - Service Pack - Collected 11/09/2013.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 23 April 2013, 04:40 »
In one of those review vids the guy said they only expect about a third of customers to spec it. That follows here. It's not a cheap option.

The big brakes will come in handy at times. I sometimes find the standard brakes a bit lacking especially when the car is fully loaded.
The diff will make a difference too as I spent a couple of years in a REVO'd GTI before the current one and that car had torque steer and traction issues even in hot dry weather. The new GTI has a lot more torque than the older car so will need traction assistance.
The GTI logos on the callipers are maybe not so worthwhile!

Can't believe the 19" wheels are the same money though. I can understand the 17" - 19" upgrade being that price on the mk6 as the tyres on the 19" rims are expensive but from 18" - 19" a grand (almost) is a big jump. £600 would be fairer maybe?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #18 on: 23 April 2013, 08:43 »
I'm not sure I agree with your earlier comment about saying you might as well buy a GTD if you don't spec the performance pack Exonian!  What kind of logic is that?!  I don't want a petrol vs diesel debate, but I just prefer the smoothness of petrol engines, and I prefer the looks of the GTI over the GTD in terms of wheels, red accents, and interior.  There is more to a car than just performance, and £1000 extra for just 8 seconds gain around the Nurb simply isn't worth it for every day use in my view.

Yep, it's an expensive option on an already reasonably expensive car.  Most people in the market for a GTI are not after a car that that they want to drive like they are on a track.  Of those who do go for the performance pack, I suspect very few will actually be able to truly appreciate the difference, but just go for it for pub talk.  Personally, I've never had an issue with the brakes on my MkV GTI, even fully-loaded, but then again, in such a state I wouldn't drive it like I'm around Brands Hatch!
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 23 April 2013, 11:11 »
There is more to a car than just performance, and £1000 extra for just 8 seconds gain around the Nurb simply isn't worth it for every day use in my view.

Yes I couldn't agree more... A £1000 is a lot of money, but in terms of what you are getting for a £1k its actually not that bad & represents fairly good value. I don't think you'll notice much in performance gain in everyday driving, but I'm sure you'll notice a "marked" response in the way the car handles.

Each of us will spec up our cars for different reasons & for what we want to get out of the car. I personally want a more focused driving experience which is why I opted for the Performance Pack. Others may want a more pleasant evironment to sit in & opt for say Pano roof, keyless entry, DNS pro sat, or audio pack. But each of us are different & I respect everyone's choices.

I'm still confident the new Mk 7 GTi even without the PP will be just as good to drive!
Current Toys: Mk7 Golf R 5dr 'Manual', Lapiz Blue, 18" Cadiz Alloys... Caterham R300 Superlight... new Mazda MX5 2.0 SE-L (ND)