Author Topic: Chain Tensioner issues?? Help needed  (Read 1809 times)

Offline Tisc 3

• Just got here
Chain Tensioner issues?? Help needed
« on: 22 February 2020, 13:52 »
First time poster. I have a 2014 Golf GTI PP. 30,000 miles. On New Year’s Day the thermostat housing went, losing all the coolant. After a massive argument with my local VW dealer/VW HQ I used an Indy for the repair, as I don’t have an extended warranty.

Whilst at the Indy they mentioned that there is an issue with chain tensioner, guides etc with the EA888 gen 3, for pre 2016 cars. They have replaced these parts for a number of cars, some as preventive maintenance, some for cars which started throwing out fault codes etc.

I can find stuff about golf MK6 issues, but nothing really for the Mk7. Have people with mk7 golf had these issues?? Anyone have any info on changes VW made to these parts for later cars?

This is an expensive bit of work to pay for (around £1,600) but obviously if the tensioner/guides failed it would be a disaster. Trying to make a call on whether to do this. 

Offline Phil245

• Not said much yet
Re: Chain Tensioner issues?? Help needed
« Reply #1 on: 22 February 2020, 15:24 »
How long have you had the car.....?

If you have just bought it and intend keeping it for a while, then it may be worthwhile.....?

I hate spending money on a car I've had for a while as I know I will get itchy feet and want a change soon.  Sixteen hundred quid might be better spent being put towards changing it...?
2019 Golf GTI 245 Performance, 2020 Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0 TDI
Sadly sold, Octavia VRS245 Estate, Audi A3 1.5TFSI S Line Black Edition, Polo GTi 1.8, Audi TT Roadster, Golf Mk7 GTD etc.
Daughter has 2019 Polo 2.0GTi DSG. We love VAG !

Offline skippy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2020, 15:27 »
First time poster. I have a 2014 Golf GTI PP. 30,000 miles. On New Year’s Day the thermostat housing went, losing all the coolant. After a massive argument with my local VW dealer/VW HQ I used an Indy for the repair, as I don’t have an extended warranty.

Whilst at the Indy they mentioned that there is an issue with chain tensioner, guides etc with the EA888 gen 3, for pre 2016 cars. They have replaced these parts for a number of cars, some as preventive maintenance, some for cars which started throwing out fault codes etc.

I can find stuff about golf MK6 issues, but nothing really for the Mk7. Have people with mk7 golf had these issues?? Anyone have any info on changes VW made to these parts for later cars?

This is an expensive bit of work to pay for (around £1,600) but obviously if the tensioner/guides failed it would be a disaster. Trying to make a call on whether to do this.

There have been some issues with chain tensioners, but these tend to be pre-2012 cars, so yes MK6, there is a dedicated thread on this, but the independent is incorrect suggesting issue here with the MK7.
MK7.5 2020, Isaac Blue, standard spec

Gone but certainly not forgotten Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TSI

Offline Tisc 3

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 23 February 2020, 12:42 »
I bought the car from brand new, so had it a few years now.

£1,600 is a big investment and would have to decide to keep the car for a while if went down that repair.

Contemplating a new MK8 golf R but it’s gunna b a while before they can ordered/I save up some funds. 

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 23 February 2020, 13:32 »
Fully enough,my local garage had a mk7 gti in for a new engine. They thought the chain had jumped.
Next time I’m in, I’ll find out what the cause was.
Is the mk7 getting old enough now to start showing a common fault like the mk6 ?
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 23 February 2020, 17:04 »

£1,600 is a big investment and would have to decide to keep the car for a while if went down that repair.

Contemplating a new MK8 golf R but it’s gunna b a while before they can ordered/I save up some funds.

How about this as an alternative, since you are looking to change in a year or so, why not get a decent warranty and leave as is? There doesn't seem that much evidence that this is a general issue however if you have a warranty you can also cover things like the thermostat housing/waterpump which if you haven't had done already is far more likely to go.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 23 February 2020, 17:41 »

How about this as an alternative, since you are looking to change in a year or so, why not get a decent warranty and leave as is? There doesn't seem that much evidence that this is a general issue however if you have a warranty you can also cover things like the thermostat housing/waterpump which if you haven't had done already is far more likely to go.

Worth considering. I pay £400-£500 for my warranty direct warranty.
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline Tisc 3

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 25 February 2020, 15:12 »
Does that warranty have a excess amount? Does it cover what you expect an equivalent VW extended warranty would. I think last time I looked the VW extended warranty all parts was over £400 with £250 excess.

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 25 February 2020, 19:31 »
Does that warranty have a excess amount? Does it cover what you expect an equivalent VW extended warranty would. I think last time I looked the VW extended warranty all parts was over £400 with £250 excess.

I think my excess is £50. Comparing with Vw warranty was basically the same. I’ve used warranty direct for a number of years and claimed £1000’s. Mostly on my vans.
Last time I checked Vw was a lot more expensive.
2014 gti pp dsg